Is Nick Meaney the answer to our fullback position in the long term?

Is Nick Meaney our long term fullback?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
He will mature into a classy fullback in the next two years. I already feel he is quite safe and coming along well.

Last edited:

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
At the end of the day all he has to do is get some experience and then link up with blokes like CHN to finish off half breaks and he will elevated in ability. It's said he has pace although I haven't seen it yet.
He should be following CHN every hit up he takes. He needs to push up in support more in general..

DoggieDogg

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I know Nick is the best fullback we have had since Ben Barba. I wont say Sam Perret even though he was really good at fullback but that wasnt his position.

But is Nick really the Billy Slater, Tedesco and Jarred Hayne type of fullback who will eventually reach the greater heights with more game time and experience or he is just an average fullback and we would have to look for a better fullback when the cash becomes available?

I would like to know the kennels opinion

Bro this kid is good
Even when Benny barba was at the back there were times when a high ball was 50-50 chance of him catching
His basic skill of high ball catching are really good for a under 10 game first grader

I think being patient with him will do us wonders
Some of his ball playing skills are coming out as he is getting more comfortable
He needs to start supporting thru the middle now for offloads from CHN Martin or whoever else is about to throw one

I think if he develops that in him he could be a unique style player where he maynot be in same league as hayne tedesco etc but could be more consistant

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I just worry when he has his first shocker. He's young and there will be a few shockers to come in such an important position.

Don't know how forgiving the supporters here will be when that happens.

I am sure when ever it happens , he wont be having as many shockers as what we have seen from Okunbor.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
No, but there are other positions we need to improve first. Meany has another 1-2 years to prove people wrong and make it his position tho.

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rate Patten an above average full back , may be one level below Haynes, Slaters and Tedescos.

I will be more than happy if Meany reaches the same height as Patten.
I actually said in another post a few weeks back that he reminds me a lot of Luke Patten, at the moment he has proved to be pretty safe under the high ball, and if he can utilise his speed he can definitely be the answer at fullback, but lets not lose sight of the fact that all those past Bulldog Fullbacks were playing with great teams, big forwards and smart backs but one thing they all had in common was speed i.e. Bretnall, Potter, Silva, Patten, Barba. I hope Meaney's name ends up among these great Bulldog Fullbacks.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Will be the best fullback in nsw bar Teddy and Turbo.
Once he gets confident with his ball playing and better players around him he will start to shine! I see aspects of Patten and Moylon in him.

Last edited:

Fingal Bay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I actually said in another post a few weeks back that he reminds me a lot of Luke Patten, at the moment he has proved to be pretty safe under the high ball, and if he can utilise his speed he can definitely be the answer at fullback, but lets not lose sight of the fact that all those past Bulldog Fullbacks were playing with great teams, big forwards and smart backs but one thing they all had in common was speed i.e. Bretnall, Potter, Silva, Patten, Barba. I hope Meaney's name ends up among these great Bulldog Fullbacks.
Sorry you missed the best full-back of them all Les Johns, he came from Newcastle and he was our best player every match. We had a pretty ordinary team in those days. He could do anything, attack, defend and kick goals. Hope the Newcastle trend continues as another great full-back came from there, Clive Churchill.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will get better the more games he plays .

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Needs to improve with his support play and positioning. He's very good under the high ball and looks to have that evasiveness ... I think we will see how good he is when Foran returns.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The next Tede, just gotta develop a step and weave, very keen.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He looks a great young kid, hungry and committed.
He is already showing glimpses of real class and talent.
I would love to see him continue to develop in to a top notch, long term dogs FB.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He will do me. He is still trying to establish himself in our team. His not on big bucks thats not to say if we resign in the future he wont be on a lot more but he has so much potential and i want to see him improve through the year and next. This kid likes to back up his players and once he settles look forward to heaps of tries from him

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Meaney will eventually be a great FB, he's only young and it will take time, he hasn't played many Fg games so of course he's gonna be hit and miss but you have to give the kid a chance and I'm definitely backing him to be our permanent FB.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Does he have a kicking game?
I want to see him in open space...

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he builds and becomes our next patten and doesn’t cost 1mil then I’ll be happy... he has a pair of safe hands and his positioning is very good. He will get better with experience and I do rate the kid. Will he be a Tedesco etc not a chance but for us to have another patten at the back, won’t be a bad thing.

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Does he have a kicking game?
I want to see him in open space...
He put kicks in play in couple of the Knights games and told everyone here he was a stand out to me from our signings when everyone else was shitting on him. Haven't seen it at all in our team but might of been told to just concentrate on everything else first before he starts throwing more into the mix. The load should be spread evenly among the young boys.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Deadset every thread about our kids there has been at least 10 people saying they will be a "gun" "future great" "special"

Thekennel loves to throw it out there