Hasler/Manly/Bulldogs - Consolidated Thread

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We should be throwing Fainu coin and promise 9 jersey for next year

Who cares if he on contract never seems to stop our guys leaving
Fainu, Taupau (when he came back on he changed the game but genius Des had him sitting for 40 minutes again) and Waddell were the best three players on the park.

We should throw a big offer at Fainu. He overplays his hand sometimes but he is a serious threat all game long and is a younger, cheaper version of Cook.

The club should be doing all they can to lure him over.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
There is no way we'll win. All these games that have old players coming back to play us (eg, SBW, Mason etc...) we end up losing all of them. Guaranteed this won't be a win for us, and you can bet your bottom dollar the NRL will do whatever they can to ensure we stay dead last.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Des is a myth. Fuck him and the destruction he caused at this club... He never had the best interests of the club at heart and simply used his time with us to abuse his power and try all of his ill conceived experiments with reckless abandon... And he got away with it somehow. Until it nearly destroyed club...

He's lucky anyone else gave him a job and it won't be long before his tactics, over controlling ways and backending of contracts ruin Manly all over again.

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the one weekend I'd actually like to see Lichaa play. You'd have to think if there's any game where he'd be up for it, it's this one.
Just LOLLOLLOLLLOLLOOLLOOLLL

So we can make it even easier for Manly
Des is why we're stuck with that piece of shit to a degree, may as well play into Des's hand with that fucktard handling the ball

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Des is a great coach, but that's what he is, a COACH, the club gave him too much power, he shouldn't have had as much control over our recruitment and retention, that was his downfall and why he needed to go. The guy made the grand final with Sammy Perrett at fullback, he can obviously coach. I hate him so much for being one of the reasons as to why we are in this position now but I called it last year and I'll say it again, his system (Desball as we call it) can be really effective and lead to success if you have "strike" players in the team, his system will usually mean you don't leak many points and that you will end up in good field position but it also requires have atleast 2-3 playmakers in the team that can utilise the field position.

I'm not try to support him but people need to get it out of their heads that he is a shit coach. I'll say it again, I don't like the bloke but lets not be blinded.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Des is a great coach, but that's what he is, a COACH, the club gave him too much power, he shouldn't have had as much control over our recruitment and retention, that was his downfall and why he needed to go. The guy made the grand final with Sammy Perrett at fullback, he can obviously coach. I hate him so much for being one of the reasons as to why we are in this position now but I called it last year and I'll say it again, his system (Desball as we call it) can be really effective and lead to success if you have "strike" players in the team, his system will usually mean you don't leak many points and that you will end up in good field position but it also requires have atleast 2-3 playmakers in the team that can utilise the field position.

I'm not try to support him but people need to get it out of their heads that he is a shit coach. I'll say it again, I don't like the bloke but lets not be blinded.
Spot on really. Get the hate for him, but he was / is a very good coach imo

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

This. I've seen myth, and lucky and inherited good teams. I've even seen people try and say the team he got in 2012 was good lmao.

The guy is a great coach. He's just a stubborn wank.

Dogs by 20 anyway.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dean will watch the video and have a plan, always gotta have a plan.
1. wrap the legs
2. wrap the ball
3. extra man
4. Supa fit

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Agree but he had to go. Though we were close to the spoon last year and likely this year - I bet no one on this forum would ever regret him being sacked.

Given too much power, gambled heavily on our future and lost. Had we won at least one premiership, then one could argue that we are in the winter we had to have. But we didn’t and to make matters worst, we will continue to struggle for another 2 seasons.

Hope the club never repeats the error in future. History will remember his tenure as being toxic with the dogs.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm not very confident especially with the inconsistency we've shown so far......I hope Manly underestimate us but Hasler will have them ready.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agree but he had to go. Though we were close to the spoon last year and likely this year - I bet no one on this forum would ever regret him being sacked.

Given too much power, gambled heavily on our future and lost. Had we won at least one premiership, then one could argue that we are in the winter we had to have. But we didn’t and to make matters worst, we will continue to struggle for another 2 seasons.

Hope the club never repeats the error in future. History will remember his tenure as being toxic with the dogs.
Good to see him go, I couldn’t stand his arrogance and stubbornness with regards to player recruitment and retention. The guy can coach no doubt about it. It really would of been interesting if Dib never sacked him and he coached under the new board. I guess we’ll never know how that would of turned out.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Is he a great coach if he can't change his style based on the opposition? If he keeps playing the same players regardless of performance? If he turns players into robots over time through over coaching?

He took us from the spoon to the minor premiership and GF. He can obviously coach to a degree but I think after a few years, his effect wears down players and the team and his teams get figured out.

We got worse every year after that magical first year. A better coach would sustain performance and adapt, not stick to the same thing and watch the team regress.

I think he's a coach who can turn a club around and teach them the basics well, which is what Manly needed. But over time they will fade as he doesn't have the tactical acumen to be considered a great coach.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Des is not a 'great' coach .. he is a good coach that can get his team competitive in most situations.. I consider a great coach one that can identify talent and one that can adapt to challenges and think on the run..... These are areas Hasler failed in miserably, therefore not a "great coach"..

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Spot on!! He definitely knows how to coach. He knows how to win games. I still look back at the 2012, 2014 days and the team we had with pride. But, as you mentioned, it was his management of the team and his decisions that led to his downfall. The team became crap and he lost the dressing room.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Des Hasler trusts his players too much and doesn’t care about depth and development of juniors. For the 4 years or whatever he was in charge of he literally fielded the same side each week. He is also too ignorant. Everyone noticed talent in Damien cook’s game when he debuted for the dogs. But, des was so obsessed with his “other, first choice” hookers that he never really gave cook any confidence about his career moving forward (hence why he moved on to the souths). A coach needs to be able to drop players that are underperforming and promote those from the b side that are playing well. This is where dean pay shines. He truly coaches the team as if it is the family club. Players from the b side are motivated to perform because they know that they have a chance if they perform, as demonstrated through the promotions of Rhyse, reimis, okunbor, Lachlan etc.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gotta admit, Des has this Manly side going bloody good with a lot of no names. I'm a little scared to see what they're capable of with a full strength side with Tommy and DCE out there.

Des Hasler trusts his players too much and doesn’t care about depth and development of juniors. For the 4 years or whatever he was in charge of he literally fielded the same side each week. He is also too ignorant. Everyone noticed talent in Damien cook’s game when he debuted for the dogs. But, des was so obsessed with his “other, first choice” hookers that he never really gave cook any confidence about his career moving forward (hence why he moved on to the souths). A coach needs to be able to drop players that are underperforming and promote those from the b side that are playing well. This is where dean pay shines. He truly coaches the team as if it is the family club. Players from the b side are motivated to perform because they know that they have a chance if they perform, as demonstrated through the promotions of Rhyse, reimis, okunbor, Lachlan etc.
I'm pretty sure Cook was dropped after 5min playing his first game after not going so well. I agree with you, but Des sure as hell brought the hammer on that one!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Des is fucking with Taupau's minutes so badly even with Fonua-Blake out. The guy is insane. He played 42 minutes today. Taupau scored a try and came off straight away after 25 minutes ...

After sitting for thirty minutes straight, he changed the game straight away with offloads which led to two tries in five minutes, and then ten minutes later with the game in the balance and down on troops and interchanges, supercoach takes Taupau off again and Canberra almost come back.

He's done this shit with Taupau all season when Marty has been better than ever. It makes no sense but nothing ever does with Des. I hope Marty gets offloaded soon because he must want to punch Des' brains out.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Rebound year. They went shit last year, they were always going to rebound this year with see back. They were always an aggressive pack with speed and skills in the spine. They lacked depth . No Evans, no turbo. No win . Hopefully . I hate Des the prick.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"Pay back" starring Lachlan Lewis

Producer. Dean PAY

... this seasons most anticipated event.

A story about a ruthless dictator who used and abused players, a club and it's faithful all for personal gain ..

Prime football players (Ennis) being put out to pasture, young guns being sold off for a song (cook) or locked away in the dredges to starve (Lewis) while this narcissist brought in high end hookers to our mansion (lichaa and mbye) , wasted away all our money and destroyed our passion...all for personal gain..
Watch the underdogs rise from the wreckage to pound and destroy the Destroyer

Watch payback the blockbuster

coming to you live this Saturday.... May the 4th (be with you):p

Last edited: