off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lachlan Lewis on his relationship with his legendary uncle Wally
James Phelps, The Sunday Telegraph
April 27, 2019 7:00pm

HIS legendary uncle did not ring to wish him luck before he made his NRL debut — nor did he call to offer congratulations after leading his side to a shock first-up win.

In fact, Bulldogs playmaker Lachlan Lewis has revealed that he has not spoken to his uncle Wally for almost three years.

“The last time we talked was when I was playing in the Queensland Under 20s team and he came into the sheds at ANZ (Stadium) after the game and he gave me a hug and told me to keep it up and that he was proud of me,’’ Lewis said.

“He is a very private man.’’

Opening up about his relationship with the rugby league royal they call the King, the Bulldogs No.7 said he has not even shared a text message with his uncle since joining Canterbury.

Lachlan is the son of Scott Lewis, who played with his brother Wally in Brisbane and during a stint at Super League team Wakefield Trinity.

The up-and-coming Bulldog also said he knew little of Lewis’s famous career.

“He has always just been my uncle,’’ Lewis said.

“I never watched much of his football so he was just uncle Wal. He was never a football player to me.’’

Lewis admitted that some may find the distance between him and “Uncle Wal’’ strange given that he is trying to forge a career as a rugby league playmaker.

Wally is considered by many to be the greatest five-eighth to have ever played for Queensland.

“It is just the way it is,’’ Lewis said.

“He has been a private guy and so am I. I live in Sydney and don’t get up to Brisbane much and vice-versa for him. He is just uncle Wal. There are no problems.’’

Lewis recalled one of the few pieces of advice he had received from the rugby league Immortal.

“People at a family function were talking about football and telling me what I needed to do,’’ Lewis said.

“Wal just said to me, ‘Stuff them, don’t listen. You know what you have to do.’ He wants me to be myself.’’

Lewis has made a determined bid to make his own name since bursting onto the NRL scene with a win over the Bulldogs in his debut against the Knights last year.

But he knows the comparisons will always come, especially if he fulfils his dream of playing for the Queensland Maroons.

“I won’t be able to escape it then,’’ Lewis said.

“But who cares, if I am able to play for Queensland. I will happily deal with it.’’

Lewis is already “living the dream’’. Not even a rampaging Sam Burgess was able to wipe the smile form his face.

“It is the best,’’ Lewis said.

“I have always wanted to play at the top level and I am. That is why you see my smiling every second I am out there. I have worked for 15 years to get here and It has already been some journey.

“But as a half you get to your best in your mid-20s so I still have plenty of work to do. I am out to get better and improve my game.’’

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow a nephew and uncle that live a long distance away don’t talk that often what a scoop!

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wow a nephew and uncle that live a long distance away don’t talk that often what a scoop!
You would think he would call him to say good luck and maybe give him a few tips.

It’s his dads brother after all.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You would think he would call him to say good luck and maybe give him a few tips.

Some families are just like that it doesn’t seem to bother Lachlan or Wally. I remember seeing Lachlan getting interviewed before a reserve grade game and someone asked him about Wally and he gave the impression they weren’t close at all.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dont forget Wally Lewis is a turd...was a good footy player but only qld’ers like him...

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Be nice if Wally was in his ear from time to time talking footy and vice versa but oh well.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Some families are just like that it doesn’t seem to bother Lachlan or Wally. I remember seeing Lachlan getting interviewed before a reserve grade game and someone asked him about Wally and he gave the impression they weren’t close at all.
I get what your saying but it’s not like Lachlan is a nephew who is a brick layer.

When your in the same profession then there is more reason to chat and talk.

Anyway I got that impression they didn’t speak from an earlier interview sometime last year also

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh well, its a bit unfortunate, but the prince can carve his own journey and he his own man... he’s doing a great job so far!! Good on him for doing it alone.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He wants to do his own thing. You cant blame him. Just as long as he does it down here in syd.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I tend not to chat or text my aunties or uncles often either. I have loads of nephews and nieces that I don't communicate with all that often. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate or think well of them. It's just not a priority to keep in touch.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Atleast it’s one less person trying to convince him to move back to Queensland lol

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't talk to any of my uncles unless I see them at a birthday party, a wedding or a funeral.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn’t even know a single one of my 15 uncles or aunts phone numbers.

I bet if you if one of those uncles worked in the same industry as you the you would have the number of that
I tend not to chat or text my aunties or uncles often either. I have loads of nephews and nieces that I don't communicate with all that often. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate or think well of them. It's just not a priority to keep in touch.

I find it’s a cultural thing. No offence but I’m not surprised.

I too don’t really call my unties or uncles but if I was breaking into first grade and my uncle was king Wally or even mitch brown I would hope he would push to help me break into first grade and maybe use his contacts and advise to succeed.

Let’s no kid ourselves a lot of the time it’s who you know that might get you a shot ahead of the next guy.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I bet if you if one of those uncles worked in the same industry as you the you would have the number of that

I find it’s a cultural thing. No offence but I’m not surprised.

I too don’t really call my unties or uncles but if I was breaking into first grade and my uncle was king Wally or even mitch brown I would hope he would push to help me break into first grade and maybe use his contacts and advise to succeed.

Let’s no kid ourselves a lot of the time it’s who you know that might get you a shot ahead of the next guy.
In football it's a little harder to get promoted on name alone. But other industries I think can operate with more nepotism. Lachlan may have had some help getting the right coaching in his younger days. But I think that by doing it on his own merit he'll be better off in the long run.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Even though it is perfectly normal that the uncle and nephew dont talk to each other that often. I have 8 uncles spread across the globe and i have a lot of respect and love for every single one of them but i dont call them even on Eid but when ever i do speak to them I speak for hours.

Also it may be the case that Wally thinks that he is the immortal and he is also the uncle so he deserves a bit of respect from Lachlan and expects him to call him to ask for advise not the other way around.

Both are busy in their lives and that is pretty much it and i am sure there is no animosity of any sort between the two.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Not many brothers talk to each other on a daily or weekly basis.

Wally is busy doing his thing, and Scott runs a successful business. Hence both proably busy doing their own things.

Not even sure that Scott has much input to Lewis's game, instead leaving it to the coaches to decide what is best.

Remember that the game has changed heaps from when Wally and Scott played. What worked for them in their era may no longer for Lewis.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Lewis starts killing it.. Expect for Wally to try and get him up at the Broncos..

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wow, what a nothing article that was.

At least it killed three minutes whilst on the shitter