Okunbor dropped please

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Jayden does have a shocker in him and has in lower grades too but he doesn’t dwell on it and usually bounces back. He is a rough diamond and there are things in his game that need to be ironed out but he does have the intangibles to be a very good winger. With the other options we have I’d much rather give him a chance to settle in and bounce back.

Blaming him for the defensive issues is a cop out you can keep changing wingers to the cows come home and we will still have problems. The structures we are using are way too loose on the edges it’s been a problem since Pay arrived.

But isn’t reserve grade the place to be sorting out your issues in your game?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
But isn’t reserve grade the place to be sorting out your issues in your game?
In a perfect world yes but when the alternatives are Montoya or Crichton I’d rather keep him in NRL.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
In a perfect world yes but when the alternatives are Montoya or Crichton I’d rather keep him in NRL.

At least they can catch a ball.
You can’t do much without the ball.

I have hated Holland since he came to the club,do not rate him one bit but Jesus Christ he looks like a superstar in our backline now.

That’s how shit we are

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
At least they can catch a ball.
You can’t do much without the ball.

I have hated Holland since he came to the club,do not rate him one bit but Jesus Christ he looks like a superstar in our backline now.

That’s how shit we are
Crichton's hands are just as bad and his height makes him a sitting duck for bombs.

While Montoya just isn't a first grader.

Okunbor's early tackle hit ups are massive it's no coincidence that since he has been in the team the forwards haven't been monstered like they were in the first two rounds.

If we had someone that we could replace him with then I'd drop him back to work on things but as you said its a shit backline.

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I know he’s raw, and hasn’t always played on the wing, but twice yesterday when he had a little space, he had the ball under the wrong arm and therefore had no fend. Any chance someone in our coaching staff could explain winger play 101 to him “carry ball on opposite side to defender and use hand to fend off”

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That’s looking through rose colored glasses, love your positivity but let’s not be delusional. Vautuvei would pick up and carry Okunbor
Vatuvei was another player who at times had feet for hands. So that's what I'm talking about with their similarity. If Vatuvei wasn't a monster to stop his NRL career wouldn't have lasted long. So while Okunbor is a raw player at this point he does offer the same basic attributes. Those being size and pace.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Why don’t we try Holland and Smith combo again...
Because Holland is part of the problem. I'd bench him and have him come on in last 20 minutes of the game at hooker and liven things up. Move CHN into the centres as he's a big body with pace and a decent fend and offload. Pop RFM in in CHNs second row spot.

Crichton's hands are just as bad and his height makes him a sitting duck for bombs.
While Montoya just isn't a first grader.
Okunbor's early tackle hit ups are massive it's no coincidence that since he has been in the team the forwards haven't been monstered like they were in the first two rounds.
If we had someone that we could replace him with then I'd drop him back to work on things but as you said its a shit backline.
Tui Katoa was looking like a decent prospect before his injury.

Tall athletic winger, really good hands and quick as lightning. Cogger was putting kicks on a dime for him in NSW Cup.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tui Katoa was looking like a decent prospect before his injury.

Tall athletic winger, really good hands and quick as lightning. Cogger was putting kicks on a dime for him in NSW Cup.
Pretty sure he is on a development contract so can’t play NRL until after June 30. He does look promising.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Pretty sure he is on a development contract so can’t play NRL until after June 30. He does look promising.
Another stupid NRL idea! Jarred Anderson was as well and has since left the club.

Keen to see how Leumelu goes at fullback today. Could be damaging. I reckon him or Kuresa get Andersons spot.

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
instead of an apology for the resigning stories in the media he will get injured

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Na keep him he ran over Cameron smith whom still walked away with a win and will be immortalised lol. But yeah Okunbor ran over him that means greatest player of all time. And add the identify politics for the game him being black, we’ve got black superman.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
He will learn faster in the NRL as far as I am concerned. He still feels a little overwhelmed with the big stage. Has had massive ups and down. Now he has to learn his trade. Including becoming safe and solid. Then evolve his skills. Then play what's in front of him in a natural way - this will take a year and then some, but we need to just grim and bare it in the meantime with the mistakes from the young ones.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He will learn faster in the NRL as far as I am concerned. He still feels a little overwhelmed with the big stage. Has had massive ups and down. Now he has to learn his trade. Including becoming safe and solid. Then evolve his skills. Then play what's in front of him in a natural way - this will take a year and then some, but we need to just grim and bare it in the meantime with the mistakes from the young ones.
He's an adult not a junior.. Ball handling should be second nature by now, a year or 10 years won't make a difference.. if he's not pulled up on it he's going to keep putting us on the back foot . He needs to be told what he's doing wrong and sent back to reserve grade.

I'm of the impression he made reserve grade because he looks like he has potential not because he has shown any consistent skill

Last edited:

DogfanQld

Waterboy
Reaction score
Talk about fatigued how many tackles did braveheart Lachie Lewis do , it was his defence that saved us a major embarrassment and the way he moved up in defence to shit down barge arse Burgess and turn him into another winging Pom . There’s a few blokes in this side I really see lots of ability in and this kid Lewis is one of them it’s in his breeding , Remi Smith also going great , CHN and Nappa great buys , the General Tolman playing with the spirit of the Anzacs “Age shall not weary them”
Ogden also big hard runner just needs to hit more to gain respect , we have some standouts there and a fucking lot that need to step up to earn there stripes .

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Talk about fatigued how many tackles did braveheart Lachie Lewis do , it was his defence that saved us a major embarrassment and the way he moved up in defence to shit down barge arse Burgess and turn him into another winging Pom . There’s a few blokes in this side I really see lots of ability in and this kid Lewis is one of them it’s in his breeding , Remi Smith also going great , CHN and Nappa great buys , the General Tolman playing with the spirit of the Anzacs “Age shall not weary them”
Ogden also big hard runner just needs to hit more to gain respect , we have some standouts there and a fucking lot that need to step up to earn there stripes .
Lachlan Lewis has the right attitude, looking for best options.. He may not be the gifted halfback but with that attitude he'll find a way to bring more than skill to the team.
Martin is another guy who impresses me and we should keep, I liked how he stood up for Lewis after Sam Burgess elbowed him after a tackle

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He has zero clue in defence and rushes up past the ball many times opening a saloon passage for Adam Reynolds to pass in behind him

Chriton played very well yesterday in a bay beaten side
2 good runs doesn’t make a fgrader
Needs more development in cup

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With rfm injured and Elliot and meany in serious doubt we can’t drop anyone. Our line up looks like dog shit next week as our depth is almost non existent. We will be lucky to win another game this year with the injuries now.

In saying that looks like Montoya will come back into the side with hoppa shifting back to fb. And I have no idea who will replace Elliot. :( not a game I’m looking forward to that’s for sure

DogfanQld

Waterboy
Reaction score
Zero clue in defence what game were you watching the kid busted his arse tackling the big boys and deserves acknowledgement I missed Rheece Martin as well another good kid having ago , we have the makings of a good side here with a few more smart player buys , drop the players causing the issues and our game will improve

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
With rfm injured and Elliot and meany in serious doubt we can’t drop anyone. Our line up looks like dog shit next week as our depth is almost non existent. We will be lucky to win another game this year with the injuries now.

In saying that looks like Montoya will come back into the side with hoppa shifting back to fb. And I have no idea who will replace Elliot. :( not a game I’m looking forward to that’s for sure
Meaney is fine and I heard Big Papi is expected back earlier then they thought. So there is little bit of positive news.