News Bulldogs half Lachlan Lewis reveals sledge that ignited running battle with Rabbitohs skipper

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canterbury playmaker Lachlan Lewis has revealed South Sydney enforcer Sam Burgess sledged that he would be “found out” at the height of their Good Friday running battle.

While tempers didn’t boil over in the Rabbitohs’ 14-6 win like they have in past Good Friday clashes, the Lewis-Burgess battle was an entertaining subplot to an otherwise dour match.

The two sides came together for a push-and-shove after Burgess took exception to an attempt by Lewis to hold onto his legs during a tackle.

Minutes later Souths winger Corey Allan was denied a try when it was ruled Lewis was obstructed and it prompted a verbal volley from Burgess.

“He said ‘you know you’re going to get found out sooner or later’.

“Their game plan was to run a bit of shape down my side and it nearly worked for them, they won the game,” Lewis said.

Standing on the Bulldogs’ left side, Lewis said he knew he was going to be targeted by Burgess.

And to his credit, Lewis came up with a number of big hits on the Rabbitohs skipper despite giving away a 26kg advantage.

He forced a Burgess error in the first half and the incident seemed to get under the Englishman’s skin.

But Lewis insisted it was Burgess who instigated the niggling, not him.

“We did a bit during the week on being on his edge and that he’d be running at me all day,” Lewis said.

“I knew it was coming so whenever I saw him get the ball I rushed up.

“He tried to niggle me. That kind of fired me up bit even though I laughed it off.”

Lewis said he took the challenge personally and their battle brought the best out of him.

“It does a little bit,” Lewis said when asked if Burgess’ sledge fired him up.

“If I see him get the ball and I can see what play they’re running, my teammates inside and outside are on their men so my job is solely on the back-rower.

“There were a couple of times I just gave it all on him.

“It was probably like a fly hitting a car - it didn’t look like it affected him at all.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/2b15bf2c6cf2c80a19f487212e3dd2fe

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like Lewis. Show me halfbacks who own a bulldozing Sam burgess. Not many.
And his attack would do him more justice with better players outside him. The same slick passes on the chest of a lantrel Mitchel or a James Roberts puts them through daylight.

Last edited:

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lol he does know we lost right?

All seriousness I've extremely impressed with his defensive efforts. If we got a point for every great 1 on 1 tackle he's done on bigger men, we'd be on top of the ladder.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lol he does know we lost right?

All seriousness I've extremely impressed with his defensive efforts. If we got a point for every great 1 on 1 tackle he's done on bigger men, we'd be on top of the ladder.

Aceman

Waterboy
Reaction score
No doubting the kids courage and defensive capabilities. However, creativity, nil.
No sure where his future in our squad will be moving forward.
We have to like at buying a half or 5/8 th with x factor in the next year or two.
Love Lewis as a player and want him to stay in blue and white.
However, he is not our savior.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Done well against Burgess not many can .

CeeEss

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He should have asked him how his wife is going these days.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Good on him but we've won 1 from 6. Should be miserable like us.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I like Lewis. Show me halfbacks who own a bulldozing Sam burgess. Not many.
And his attack would do him more justice with better players outside him. The same slick passes on the chest of a lantrel Mitchel or a James Roberts puts them though daylight.
Yeh old puppy, so true mate. The kid is a keeper. In a firing team the kid would be having a field day out there.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lachlan made Bargeass his bitch last night and I applaud him for it. Mr tough guy tried to prove he was king of the castle by running at Lachie all night...but guess what.... Lachie did not take a backward step...that is why Bargeass got his nose out of joint...He is a typical Pom...whinging about everything and anything...he has become the perfect Bennett lackey..

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He should have asked him how his wife is going these days.
They are back together.

Lachlan Lewis seems to love giving interviews etc, he might want to put a ban on the media for awhile.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Gee, all this talk.. reminds me of someone that used to play here and is now universally hated..

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
They are back together.

Lachlan Lewis seems to love giving interviews etc, he might want to put a ban on the media for awhile.
Even better to ask him about his wife if he is back with her lol.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The way Lewis is reluctant to attack the line... i wish we signed S.Johnson.