Opinion Get the players the help (and experience) they need.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I personally believe that the game against the storm last week gave Dean Pay a false sense of grandeur. I think he thinks he knows how to improve on last weeks unbridled team and has obstructed their form.
Could also be the players believing their own hype, especially after nearly beating Melbourne last week.

The fact is that none of us know, and probably never will know.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
"Help" I'm sure they are getting, but "experience" can't be given it has to be experienced personally.

Go Dogs

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Losses like yesterday are character building there will be more in time you’ll see the difference patience perseverance it’s all we got stick with it

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep help and experience, solves everything. Only one way to get experience. And they get help, dumb thread.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I couldn’t believe the amount of dropped/lost balls last week thats basic 101 shit

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Last week we went south and almost beat the best. Kids couldn't back it . After 20 or 30 they looked drained. What's the stats for teams playing winning after the played Melb ? It was a lazy effort and its fatigue, mentally and physically . We will win this week.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
You lost me at “Foran is still developing his game and isn’t the answer here”.

Our gazillion $$$ marquee recruit is still developing his game?

Yep, we’re in a load of trouble.

There’s no need for another thread like this, it’s been done to death.

It’s going to be a roller coaster year, anyone who didn’t have blue and white tinged glasses on at the start of the year and understood our squad deficiencies, could see that a mile away.

We needed everything to go right and losing Napa and Foran so early hasn’t been ideal.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How do you go from expansive ball playing, offload after offload, cohesion in the halves , persistance and enthusiasm one week to robotic, boring, lackluster play the following week?
Blame the coach ....

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That’d be the attack coach, Georgallis. Steve Georgallis. One of the least creative halves of the 90s who played for one of the worst teams of the 90s.
Georgallis one of the reasons we are not performing. Him and Penna need punting. The players seem to little respect for either. of them.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah we need someone like a Foran! Oh wait.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Georgallis one of the reasons we are not performing. Him and Penna need punting. The players seem to little respect for either. of them.
Lads actually have plenty of respect for Stevie..

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You must be delusional !!!Georgallis was the coach that half our current team played under last season to not only win the isp premiership but the state premiership too..

I say they aren't performing because Pay is being obstructive

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Media Ban on the players...
Do you think our sponsors (and we have a full kit of them) will be happy with that? Somehow I think not.
Plus we have contractual obligations to the NRL to provide a predetermined amount of "promotional" time from players and coach. Failure to provide that can result in fines and, in the extreme, expulsion from the NRL Do we want to give them an excuse?

The players and coach are simply doing what they are required to do.

Go Dogs

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
First thing Monday, someone like Hill or Pay, or someone in Bulldogs HQ needs to get on the phone and make some urgent calls.

I get it, we have a young side... but a young side needs experienced heads to guide them through the start of their careers.

Sure some of the young forwards can learn off Tolman (and apparently Elliott thinks he's a leader too), but it's just not enough.

BACKS
Hoppa doesn't have that experience to guide our younger backs.
Someone get Patten in to talk to the players (like Meaney) about backing up and attacking. We desperately needed to keep one or both Morris brothers to assist guys like Okunbor (and Harper as well).

HALVES
This is where we need to the most help. Foran is still developing his game and isn't the answer here.
Someone get Sherwin on the blower and get him working with Lewis and Cogger.

HOOKER
Blind leading the blind here. We need someone that can school our hookers and get the best out of them.

FORWARDS
Get Mason, Andrew Ryan and Frank Pritchard in there to teach the forwards and second row to fire up. 35m in 80 minutes from CHN is rubbish. Sue is garbage. Ogden and Martin need help up front.

It's unfair to assume our players can just be chucked in the deep end with a skills coach and head coach, etc. Only thing that will follow is more misery.

C'mon Bulldogs... get our Bullpups the assistance they need from skilled and experienced players of the past, because they clearly are out of their depth and need guidance.
Clutching at straws now mate. I get what your saying but these guys made it to the top league for a reason. If they can’t play there positions that they have been there whole career then no amount of talking from anyone will change that. Look at lichaa, apparently Des was a hooker hahahah how did that turn out.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take it easy mate ..

You are reading way too much into the results and expending way too much energy with your analysis ..

The simple fact of the matter is the club and team is in a rebuild and with such a young team team inconsistency will always be an issue.

These results although demoralising actually infact serve a great purpose and that is experience .

The standard we’ve shown when playing well is really encouraging and with experience these displays like yesterday should slowly eradicate themselves ..

You can accept Lewis , okunbor , Meaney and cogger to make mistakes but there is talent there and you know it’s a learning curve that s worth preserving with .

The real issue I see and it again reared it’s ugly head is that critical point when first lot of interchanges occurred , it gave us no impact and we lost the will to compete after getting to far behind and again it’s hard when you have a bunch of rookies in critical positions to ask them to dig you out of ..

The bigger issue which shouldn’t need highlighting is the impact and stiffness of our forward pack..

Jackson , CHN and Ogden did fine but the rest unfortunately are not to first grade standard
C smith needs to increase his fitness cause he seems to have some impact but it needs to be had for longer periods ..

I’m sure there will be a few more of these games but we have to be willing to accept those during a rebuild
So when do we stop using this rebuild excuse?

Again just a serious question and not directly having a go at you. But I mentioned it in another thread. We might be rebuilding and have a young squad but that doesn’t mean in a professional sport you throw in the flag when your behind and get a cricket score on you. Your getting paid the big bucks to entertain and play footy. The effort I saw on Sunday was beyond a joke. Some of these guys wouldn’t see grade in any other teams in the comp. heck some teams in the Comp reserve grade sides are better then our first grade team. How embarrassing is it to be a dog supporter the Last 2 years

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's see how they go on Friday, I mentioned in a another thread we have the youngest and most inexperienced team, we can't take away the effort they produce against Melbourne it was awesome, but against stgeorge it was a shocker and we don't need to tell them, I'm sure they already know.

I think it's all part of the experience, the lesson they would have learnt last week (it was a massive kick in the ass) is just because you played well one week it doesn't mean by turning up the next week it will automatically be the same effort... it comes down to attitude and i'm sure they will bring it this week!

Get behind the team, until then this is one hell of a rollercoaster ride! 15 years and counting... Go DOGGIES!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
the effort they produce against Melbourne it was awesome
But WAS IT awesome, or was it just that the understrength Storm had an off day and were flat, and we played the best we can.

In other words it wasn't so much we played really well, but rather Storm were really flat (and that gave us false hope we are better than we actually are), hence the Dragons hiding.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
But WAS IT awesome, or was it just that the understrength Storm had an off day and were flat, and we played the best we can.
In other words it wasn't so much we played really well, but rather Storm were really flat (and that gave us false hope we are better than we actually are), hence the Dragons hiding.
I could just as easily claim that Melbourne underestimated what we are capable of and that we played to the level that we are capable of. Whereas last weekend we didn't play to the level that we are capable of.

My glass is half full, how's your's?

Go Dogs

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve said this a few times. With the halves get Matty Johns on for a few sessions one on one!
He has had sessions with plenty of the top halves in the comp
With the forwards Pay knows enough to get them fired up they are playing better then last year in my opinion and with Napa out we do lose a bit of yardage. Ogden can step and just run from the back fence and try and set our sets up. Look at all the good sides and it is the back 3 that set up the sets with great kick return and 2nd and 3rd tackle plays Ferguson, Tedesco, ado-Carr slater etc, our back 3 didn’t do too bad in the storm and tigers games Okonbur had a bad game last week but I have faith in them.

Losing Foran and Napa a big losses. We need a creative hooker I feel who can kick and really make defences think. Lichaa is too slow and teams know what he does. Look at little scheming dummy halves who make the defences think and can play 80min and tackle well and we can move forward