Official Greg Inglis retires effective immediately.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
He already announced it months ago.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/18/a-legend-retires-how-greg-inglis-told-the-rabbitohs/

TBF, he was a great player in his prime. I was at the SCG in 2008 when he threw that freakish ball over his head back to Gasnier in the test v NZ (right in front of where I was sitting).

He comes across as a knob, but credit where its due.
For me he's average. In recent times he's been made pretty much every other centre in the NRLs bitch.

In his hype years / hey day he was good simply because he was the first of the big, bulky, hulking centres. He was monstering smaller centres as a result and looked like a superstar.

But as other centres came into the game who were just as big, strong, fast, Inglis lost his touch.

“There’s no retirement through mental illness or injuries or that,” Inglis said. “I just think it’s time and the right decision for myself. I’ve been contemplating it for a while now. I’ve come toterms with it.”

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I pretty much read this as Staggs to the bunnies... bad luck bulldogs

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So he told the coach, the general manager and his team mates LAST year what his intentions were but club officials did not see it coming???? Isn't the coach and the general manager counted as club officials?
A legend retires: How Greg Inglis told the Rabbitohs
Author
Michael Chammas Chief Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 18 Jan 2019, 01:07 PM

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/g...e/news-story/d66059ec0f8f676c06a21d4382f7e16c

At the end of last season, South Sydney sat down with Greg Inglis to discuss the possibility of extending his contract beyond 2020.

In the confines of Redfern Oval, he requested a private meeting with new Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett and informed him of his intention to hang up the boots at the end of next year.

He then strolled across the road to the club's offices to inform the man that brought him to the Rabbitohs, general manager Shane Richardson, that the end was near.

Later that day
he gathered around his teammates to let them know as well, but what soon became clear was his desire to finish on a high, to bring another premiership to the club he joined in 2011.

While club officials didn't know it was coming, neither were they surprised when Inglis dropped the news.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How long before darius to souths well played wayne

He is playing like shit at the Broncos and all he needs to revitalize his stalled career is to go and join Daddy at his new club. I reckon that a TV station could make a series out of this....

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good on him for pulling the pin, whatever dumb shit he did while he was young he made up for with a good career and has recognized he's had enough.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He is playing like shit at the Broncos and all he needs to revitalize his stalled career is to go and join Daddy at his new club. I reckon that a TV station could make a series out of this....
Or is he being told to play shit mmmm

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Good on him for pulling the pin, whatever dumb shit he did while he was young he made up for with a good career and has recognized he's had enough.
While he was young?
His pissy driving/speeding quinella was 6 months ago.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If you win 600 premierships it doesn't make up for laying your hands on a woman. Doesn't matter how good you can kick a football, nothing makes up for that.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do t be surprised if they make a inquiry about Folau on the quiet cause when the nrl medically retire Inglis and they free up 700-800 on there cap with salary he already earned I wouldn’t be surprised if Bennett is having a look at Folau and given Souths are the pride of the league and they will feel sorry for south they will probley let him back cause uncle Wayne will keep him on the straight
It’s a theory cause Folau is a free agent now too as of today

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Do t be surprised if they make a inquiry about Folau on the quiet cause when the nrl medically retire Inglis and they free up 700-800 on there cap with salary he already earned I wouldn’t be surprised if Bennett is having a look at Folau and given Souths are the pride of the league and they will feel sorry for south they will probley let him back cause uncle Wayne will keep him on the straight
It’s a theory cause Folau is a free agent now too as of today
Souths would have to spend half their salary cap to even come close to the money French rugby will offer him.

ARU: $1.5 million a season.
French Top 14 Rugby side: $2million+ per season.
Souths: Would struggle to offer more than $1 million a season.

Souths will pick up Goodwin on the cheap, and probably end up with lil baby Darius before end of the season "suddenly homesick for his defacto fathers teat".

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
He already announced it months ago.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/01/18/a-legend-retires-how-greg-inglis-told-the-rabbitohs/

For me he's average. In recent times he's been made pretty much every other centre in the NRLs bitch.

In his hype years / hey day he was good simply because he was the first of the big, bulky, hulking centres. He was monstering smaller centres as a result and looked like a superstar.

But as other centres came into the game who were just as big, strong, fast, Inglis lost his touch.

Pffft so cause he was big that’s why he was good, god you say stupid shit. GI hardly lost his touch and if anything he just slowed down but even then he still carved up people. He hardly ever got beaten by his opposite centre. You couldn’t even name the last time someone carved him up. I don’t even like GI but you clearly just are hating on him for some weird reason.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Souths would have to spend half their salary cap to even come close to the money French rugby will offer him.

ARU: $1.5 million a season.
French Top 14 Rugby side: $2million+ per season.
Souths: Would struggle to offer more than $1 million a season.

Souths will pick up Goodwin on the cheap, and probably end up with lil baby Darius before end of the season "suddenly homesick for his defacto fathers teat".
Top14 Salary caps are 11.3 million euros per season (AUD17.8M), but its spread over 35 players, so that about $500K per squad member. Not sure if Falou could commend $2M, but those French salaries sure are out of whack,

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Didn't the Tigers have their CEO banned and a huge cap penalty for having an ambassadorial role for Farah?

But Souths doing the same for Inglis is completely fine? Whether he's retired or not, the whole thing is completely shady and the blatant sanctioned corruption by certain favoured teams in this competition is frightening.

The sooner we realise it's a rigged comp and we should all just walk away, the better.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Pffft so cause he was big that’s why he was good, god you say stupid shit. GI hardly lost his touch and if anything he just slowed down but even then he still carved up people. He hardly ever got beaten by his opposite centre. You couldn’t even name the last time someone carved him up. I don’t even like GI but you clearly just are hating on him for some weird reason.
He had a size/weight advantage when he hit the scene over many opposing players at the time. His most successful years were at the Storm between 2006 and 2010 (ironically the same years Storm cheated the cap).

Since joining Souths he's been average in 2011/2015/2016/2017/2018.

2012 / 2013 / 2014 he went okay, but was still way short of his best years.

List of people who have made Greg their bitch in 2018:
Paul Momirovski - Prelim Final vs Roosters.
James Roberts - R8 vs Broncos
Waqa Blake - R2 vs Panthers
Solomone Kata - R1 vs Warriors

2017 - he was a flop and only played 1 game.
2019 - managed 2 games (needled up) and was gone.

List of people who have made Greg their bitch in other years:
Latrell Mitchell carved him up in SOO.
Josh Morris carved him up most SOO games.
Dane Gagai, Joey Manu, Will Chambers, Tim Lafai.
He's overrated as anything. Has one good game then 3 shit ones and everyone blows loads over him.