NRL Looking At Overhauling Golden Point System

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Could it work? NRL to look at overhauling Golden Point system
NRL PREMIERSHIP

• April 9, 2019 8:03am
The NRL will consider overhauling the competition points system to allow teams who lose in golden point to walk away with something for their efforts.

The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield is reporting the NRL will discuss the option of allocating four points for a win, and three points for a golden-point win, when the competition committee meets at the end of the season.

The new system would allocate one point for a loss in extra time.

Merits of the golden point system have long been debated, but the subject is once again up for discussion as three games finished in a draw after 80 minutes in Round 4. While Penrith, Manly and the Dragons scored the two points for a win, the Wests Tigers, South Sydney and Newcastle all got zip.

NRL’s head of football Graham Annesley told The Telegraph the league has looked at changes to the points system in the past, but it would be irresponsible not to revisit the suggestion.

“We’re open to discussions on these sort of issues,” Annesley said.

“Although suggestions of this type have been raised in the past, the competition committee has to date not felt there is sufficient need to change the current golden point system.
“However, as administrators, we do have a responsibility to constantly review our competition rules and consider innovative ways to enhance public interest in the premiership.”

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Are these clowns serious? They've come up with some outlandish suggestions but this is up there..

So if you win in golden point you dont get full points? Why should you get a point for losing in golden point? If you couldn't win in 80 plus minutes of footy, you don't deserve a point!

Is losing in the 83rd minute more deserving of a point than losing in the 79th minute? It's scary that people that think like this run the game.

They're trying their absolute best to make this code extinct and they're doing a great job of it.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Are these clowns serious? They've come up with some outlandish suggestions but this is up there..

So if you win in golden point you dont get full points? Why should you get a point for losing in golden point? If you couldn't win in 80 plus minutes of footy, you don't deserve a point!

Is losing in the 83rd minute more deserving of a point than losing in the 79th minute? It's scary that people that think like this run the game.

They're trying their absolute best to make this code extinct and they're doing a great job of it.
I got an idea. FUCK GOLDEN POINT OFF ALTOGETHER.

Golden Point only has ONE place in our game... in the finals AFTER 20 minutes of extra time if scores are still tied - and those same rules should also apply to Origin. Extra time, THEN golden point. Not during regular season games FFS.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I actually like this.

I mean ideally you would just allow draws, but it makes sense to try to get a winner because that is far more interesting than a draw. So we won't ever go back to that.

This system means that teams will try harder to win without it going to golden point, and the losing team still gets some benefit from being levelled at full time.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I actually like this.

I mean ideally you would just allow draws, but it makes sense to try to get a winner because that is far more interesting than a draw. So we won't ever go back to that.

This system means that teams will try harder to win without it going to golden point, and the losing team still gets some benefit from being levelled at full time.
Going back to my original point though, doesn't the team that loses at the siren in the 80th minute deserve the same as the team that loses in the 81st minute?

I just don't understand why they have to try and fuck with tradition so much. It's not like there's public outcry about how many points are given out after golden point?

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Going back to my original point though, doesn't the team that loses at the siren in the 80th minute deserve the same as the team that loses in the 81st minute?

I just don't understand why they have to try and fuck with tradition so much. It's not like there's public outcry about how many points are given out after golden point?
No? I don't think they do at all. If you lose in normal time you lose, that's it

The fans who attend want a winner, you may not care but the masses prefer if someone wins. It makes sense to have some kind of extra play system to try and get a winner.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No? I don't think they do at all. If you lose in normal time you lose, that's it

The fans who attend want a winner, you may not care but the masses prefer if someone wins. It makes sense to have some kind of extra play system to try and get a winner.
I agree! But a team shouldn't get a point for losing in extra time... A loss is a loss. Doesn't matter if it happens in regulation or a minute into extra time..

I don't like golden point but I get it.. But I don't understand this potential points change at all

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Getting a point for losing. Brilliant. If the runners up lose by less than six points then they should cut the premiership trophy in half and hand it to them.

Also, if the opposition scores a try and you didn't mean to let them score, you should get four points for your team.

Further more, if a penalty occurs and the opposition takes a penalty shot and are successful, you will receive one point.

If you get injured in a tackle Peter Beattie and Todd Greenberg will lick your balls clean. Only if you play for his favourite teams, though.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
This is the dumbest shit I ever heard... why the fuck should a shit effort like Panthers and Tigers be rewarded against a team like the dogs who walk away with nothing despite an excellent effort against the storm. It's not fucking hard... scores locked at 80mins it's a draw move on, then when it's finals have the full extra time period.
Sick of wankers trying to change this game.

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I agree! But a team shouldn't get a point for losing in extra time... A loss is a loss. Doesn't matter if it happens in regulation or a minute into extra time..

I don't like golden point but I get it.. But I don't understand this potential points change at all
I disagree and think if you make it to the end of the regular game, you deserve a point. The old draw system gave you a point, so why not still get that point in extra time? Also the team who wins wasn't able to win in regular time so less points for their win makes sense as well.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I disagree and think if you make it to the end of the regular game, you deserve a point. The old draw system gave you a point, so why not still get that point in extra time? Also the team who wins wasn't able to win in regular time so less points for their win makes sense as well.
I just think a point for a draw is fair and 2 for a win and 0 for a loss is perfect.

I don't see why the team that wins in golden point should lose a point. A win is a win and a loss is a loss..

From memory in English Football you used to get two points for a score draw but they did away with that. I always thought Rugby was a joke for their bonus points for extra tries etc and to me this idea is too similar to that..

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Imagine Tigers getting a point for that monstrosity of a game against the Panthers... Panthers don't exact deserve the two points, but winning is winning, regardless of how ugly. No points for losers!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Absolish the premiership and ... well actually abolish points all together. Let teams play for the fun of it and everyones gets a Happy Meal and chocolate paddlepop after the game.

I mean sports all inclusive right? That's the direction everything is heading these days. Maybe at the end of season do EVERY player can get a premiership ring, or something so nobody feels left out!

These dickheads just make things up as they go with the primary focus being that they keep themselves in the job inventing more and more mind boggling ideas.

It's simple.... at full time if it's a draw, 5 minutes each way. At the end of that 10 minutes either it's a draw, or whoever is in front wins.
During the Golden Point time, penalties are NOT given, but any infringement instead gets a free tackle. Two infringements by same player and they are sat out for that 5 minute period.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If (emphasis on the if) they have to change it (I think the current system is fine), then they should make it 1 point each if it’s a draw at 80 minutes, then another point to the winner in golden point.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If (emphasis on the if) they have to change it (I think the current system is fine), then they should make it 1 point each if it’s a draw at 80 minutes, then another point to the winner in golden point.
That's far more logical than their suggestion IF there were to be some change.

But even then, I don't like the concept of a losing team being rewarded.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
it works in the NHL, some people are just over reacting

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
What shits me about GP is the 7 tackle set... You work your ass off to get a shot at a field goal, miss by a matter of centre metres and the opposition can then roll up field with less effort and win

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
This does not work because then those games are worth 3 points and the system can be gamed. Going to golden point needs to be something teams want to avoid.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This does not work because then those games are worth 3 points and the system can be gamed. Going to golden point needs to be something teams want to avoid.
Good point. It's the way the NHL points work, but probably wouldn't work in NRL. Maybe the following points system would work better, and provide incentive to win the game in regular time. A loss should remain 0.

3 points for a regular win
2 points for a golden point win
1 point each for a draw
0 points for loss