NRL makes massive blunder re Rhyse Martin kicking position.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well YES actually geometry does also come into it. Technique is also a major factor like getting your head over ball to keep it straight or open your body up and wrap your foot around the ball to make it curve.

I was actually explain to a few boys yesterday how good Martin is considering his got a bit of Halligan and Hazem in him. He curves it but also gets the ball straightening up... he really is a gun.
I played local soccer for quite a few years and a couple of seasons of local league during my teens. League Id often practice my left field side kicks by teeing the ball on the left sideline corner post. An impossible feet of trying to hook the ball over the dot. Obviously Martins right side of the field 3 metre gain closer to the centre of field opens the posts a little and closer range hence my smart arse reply. I was an average kicker. Your right, Martin is a gun. He just shanked it, it happens.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
For those who were wondering why it looked like Reece was kicking the goal a lot
More wider than were we scored close to full time,
Well the mark was set incorrectly and Graham Annesley Called dean pay to apologise.
I’m sure the few metres would of made a huge difference?
You know what. Kudos to Annesley for calling up to apologize.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I played local soccer for quite a few years and a couple of seasons of local league during my teens. League Id often practice my left field side kicks by teeing the ball on the left sideline corner post. An impossible feet of trying to hook the ball over the dot. Obviously Martins right side of the field 3 metre gain closer to the centre of field opens the posts a little and closer range hence my smart arse reply. I was an average kicker. Your right, Martin is a gun. He just shanked it, it happens.
Everyone has a shot from the left touch line. It was a sure thing if u were a sporty kid.

Smart arse or not its a factor... Even if it opens or expands the target it plays on your mind, as I said earlier I found it easier to kick from the sideline than from in front. Similar to blasting a shot from outside the 18 yard and taking a penalty.

I was a good kicker, still am actually when I don't pull a muscle. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

WillieMasonFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No matter what, Rhysee Martin is a great kicker and a real asset for the team. I just hope he stays injury free and keeps getting picked in the 1st grade side. Looking for advice on how I change my user name from WillieMasonFan to RhyseeMartinFanboy.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I mentioned it to my old girl who I was watching it with when it happened.. might only be a few metres but a fair psychological difference.. anyway it is what it is and we move forward
This.

Just because he shanked it wider out doesn't mean he would have shanked it closer in. He might have been more relaxed with a closer shot. It's over now but still a big blue from a supposedly professional comp. Mickey mouse stuff tbh.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

>

BULLDOGS

Canterbury's crucial conversion attempt taken from wrong spot after refs error

AuthorBrad WalterNRL.com Senior ReporterTimestampMon 8 Apr 2019, 05:26 PM

aterbury coach Dean Pay has expressed his disappointment at revelations a last-minute conversion attempt by Rhyse Martin to send Sunday’s match against Melbourne into extra time should have been taken three metres closer to the goal posts.

Martin missed the shot at goal from the sideline after winger Reimis Smith had scored to give the Bulldogs a chance to snatch a golden-point win but it was discovered on Monday he took the conversion attempt from the wrong place.

NRL head of football Graham Annesley spoke to Pay after the error was detected in a review of the round by match officials and he said referee Ben Cummins and assistant referee Tim Roby "clearly weren’t paying enough attention".

Martin, who has now kicked 41 goals from 45 attempts in his 16 NRL appearances, took the conversion attempt directly in line with where Cummins had walked after the Refs' Bunker awarded Smith’s try.

Roby had stood on the mark about three metres in from the sideline while Cummins was in the in-goal area talking to match review officials.

After the try was awarded to reduce the Storm’s lead to 18-16, Cummins and Roby began walking towards each other and they moved to the sideline.

Match Highlights: Storm v Bulldogs

"In our view the referees should not have allowed that to happen - particularly in the circumstances of the game - and that kick should have been taken another three or four metres in from touch," Annesley said.

"That doesn’t mean he would have got the goal but the referees have got a responsibility to ensure the kick is taken from the mark in line with where the try was scored."

Annesley said Pay wanted to know how the error had occurred.

"I have spoken to the Bulldogs about it but they didn’t bring it to our attention," Annesley said. "In fact, we were at our review this morning looking at it when I got the phone call.

"[Pay] was OK but he queried why it was taken in the wrong spot. He wasn’t blowing up about it.

"The goal misses by a fair margin and it is impossible to know if the extra three or four metres would have made any difference to that but this is something we should not be getting wrong.
So the NRL officials have now found another method to punish our club.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
From my humble experience from playing flick kick, the greater the distance from the post the harder it gets..

Screenshot_20190408_201152.jpg

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still think kicking from the sideline was an easier shot. Had he have gotten it, other fans would've been calling us cheats. Just can't win.

Martin will learn from that experience. We were just unlucky in the end.
side line isn't an easier shot, taking it further back from the tryline makes the angle better, not taking it wider out closer to the sideline, a 30m kick 10 in from touch is so much easier than a 30m kick on the sideline

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The bloke kicks at 90%. It was the 80th minute of the game, would have been very fatigued...
I guarantee you he'll remember that kick for a lifetime, and next time he has the chance he'll slot it.
I still remember the conversion I missed in my last year of footy, pre season 9 a side, shanked it from about 10m right of the posts as a right footer in the final. Final was a draw after extra time, we lost on countback of scores on the day by 1 point.. that was 2001.

Wally D

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Maybe because there were 4 Storm jerseys blocking his path
Watch the replay carefully and you will see he had the opportunity to come back inwards at least 3 metres. Instead he chose to shit the bed

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Watch the replay carefully and you will see he had the opportunity to come back inwards at least 3 metres. Instead he chose to shit the bed
Seriously, he had a guy kicking at 95%, nailed 2 from the sideline already, so why risk it.

Go Dogs

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seriously, he had a guy kicking at 95%, nailed 2 from the sideline already, so why risk it.

Go Dogs
I think old mate was referring to where Reimis scored the try, could've came in closer to the post.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I think old mate was referring to where Reimis scored the try, could've came in closer to the post.
Exactly what I posted, Smith didn't want to risk it and with Smith kicking didn't think he needed improve his position.

Go Dogs

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why the fuck year in year out do we get a disproportionate amount of dodgy calls...it’s fucking ridiculous.

When is this shit gonna stop

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like @KLil, I found it mentally quite easy to kick from the sideline because I practiced it so much both at and away from training.

I found i would second guess my self a little any where between about 7 to 15 metres in from touch.

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
what pissed me off most is that the try scorer made no attempt to come back in. He wasted a good 3-4 metres running towards the sideline when he was well in the clear. Selfish and shortsighted of him. No one thinks about how to make the job easier for the next guy. It’s always about themself
And if he had have taken on the defence and dropped the ball or however not scored you would have rubbished him ...he did his job perfectly, the ref as usual gave us the raw prawn, he choked on the kick and who could blame him with 7,000 double headed Melbourne morons screaming at him...game over, lesson learnt

DT

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to see the dogs questioning the NRL and letting them know they aren't happy about the situation's we are being put it. Expect some 50/50s boys and gals..
Haha, not a bloody chance...we more so than any other team are the guinea pigs for the nrl, when they need to force a rule we are the team that cops it before any other, when they want to nit pick something its us that cops it...we see it every week every year and it wont stop while this current crop of completely useless refs and Greenberg are in charge.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well you'd think Rhyse would have remembered the proximity of where the try was scored if the refs didn't, and say something.
He moved it to the sidelines where they practice from

a lot of kickers do it they showed examples on NRL 360 last night