Opinion Pays’ game plan

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Pay as a coach is like our team - inexperienced.

But the pleasing signs are that he seems to be learning with every FG game.

Just as you wouldn't expext Lewis to come into FG and be Andrew Johns, you can't expext Pay to be Wayne Bennett after 20 FG games.

As long as he learns, evolves and improves, can we ask much more of him?
Absolutley mate. I can't believe people were calling for his head last year. The guy needs a chance, at least three years.

Can you imagine some TK members as directors of our club? They would of sacked him last year and further pushed our re-build behind.

Our club would of looked more unstable and unsettled and you're definately not going to attract any players like that.

The one that makes me laugh the most is when people judge him because he talks simple or looks dumb to them on TV. How would they have any idea what is said behind closed doors at training....just LOL

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was a good game plan, shame we lost napa so early as we needed his energy second half.

I have no doubts we’d have won that game if he was there for the full game.

One thing I’d adjust in our plan is to be more grubby - It clearly pays off.

So from now on I hope we try to win at all costs, death rolling, twisting necks, 3rd man in behind the legs, twist players onto their backs and lay flat. We’re already losing the penalty count every game so may as well use it to our advantage

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay’s game plan worked great in the first half and Melbourne looked frustrated. I think with more experienced halves we could have controlled the game better and kept attacking that weak side between Croft and Scott.

This might be a bit left field but I think we could have better utilised our bench by bringing on Lichaa to play lock purely to help with the defensive load. He could have gone out there and made 30-40 tackles and helped the big boys in the middle. Munster’s try for me was caused by the guys being gassed, not some great set up play.
Great signs from the team and I just hope this young team can keep it up.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hey guys

Just rewatched the match and was interested to see Pays’ game plan against the Storm that had them rattled.

It was a one-two punch up the guys then spread right then back left. Followed up by a bomb and a single line chase.

No doubt the bomb was the safest option instead of having the storms back three returning the balls off a punt and broken play.

The only thing stopping us from winning other than Ben “I love” CUMmins was not only luck but a little bit of class.

Reimia smith dropped a potential intercept and Okunbor had no support on his breaks.

But back to Pays game plan we definitely saw a strategy and purpose. Something much different to the Des Hasler days.

What are your thoughts?
I thin Pay really deserves some praise. So many were calling for his head last year, and again after round 1 this year. But the turn around after the loss to Parramatta has been nothing short of amazing.
Pay clearly had a game plan, and to their credit the team executed that plan fantastically well.
Given our spine is so inexperienced, and the fact that we lost Napa very early, followed by the HIA to CHN, we played an incredible game of football.
I'm so proud of the boys for yesterday's effort. We will worry a lot of teams this year, and I'm confident we can beat the Dragons next week if we turn up like we did yesterday.
I'm only worried that we will lose Napa for an extended time. This will make it tough. Canterbury cup got inhialated 42-0 yesterday, so it's not as if someone is banging on the door for promotion.
I'm guessing Fualalo will be the one to be promoted, but let's hope it's only to the bench and Ofahiki gets to start.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Alot of people thinking its to rattle the storm but they played the same against the tigers i think its a great style hes got them playing also i love our defence finally we have 2 up top wrapping up the ball and the 3rd tackles legs stops them moving

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just want to point out that there is no way in the world a rookie team could've pulled that off in just 2 weeks of coaching. This style would've been developed under Georgallis.

In our 2nd thrashing Pay would be been desperate for coaching tips because obviously what he was doing wasn't working..took a lifeline from georgallis ...so calm down

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good to see Georgallis have some input

Lol

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Just want to point out that there is no way in the world a rookie team could've pulled that off in just 2 weeks of coaching. This style would've been developed under Georgallis.

In our 2nd thrashing Pay would be been desperate for coaching tips because obviously what he was doing wasn't working..took a lifeline from georgallis ...so calm down
Bet your fun at a party! Why can't you just say everyone did well? So do you know for a fact that he approached Georgallis? Then the question is, even if he did what's wrong with that considering that he is the assistant coach. Wouldn't a smart person use all the resources available to them in a team effort to succeed? Or is this more about you unable to want Pay to do ok? Just a thought.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
@Spoonman84

I reckon if we can score 22 points we got a chance but need to try and restrict them to 3 tries which is probable.

Need to just go out there and play some adlib in your face footy.

Canterbury Born & Bred
KLil, Yesterday at 11:12 AM Edit Delete Report

Now that was some adlib shit we played. Was not far off.. lol

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
@Spoonman84

I reckon if we can score 22 points we got a chance but need to try and restrict them to 3 tries which is probable.

Need to just go out there and play some adlib in your face footy.

Canterbury Born & Bred
KLil, Yesterday at 11:12 AM Edit Delete Report

Now that was some adlib shit we played. Was not far off.. lol
We sure did! We just couldn't get a foot hold in the second half to get that last try.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
What was most pleasing is that we weren't mesmerised by the Cam's and we went after them, where as their opponents of previous matches were guilty of ball watching. They got us a few times, but overall I thought we handled them well.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We sure did! We just couldn't get a foot hold in the second half to get that last try.
They started playing dirty aggressive footy which frustrated us... I reckon if Napa and CHN were 100% we could have fallen over the line comfortably.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Let's not forget that the Ref's as usual allowed Storm to wrestle twice as long in the play of the ball. Quick play the balls and moving the larger pack around is what rattled them.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
They started playing dirty aggressive footy which frustrated us... I reckon if Napa and CHN were 100% we could have fallen over the line comfortably.
Cummins gave them multiple leg ups which we didn’t get and that was telling. They had field position for the whole second half and we did very well to hang in there.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Let's not forget that the Ref's as usual allowed Storm to wrestle twice as long in the play of the ball. Quick play the balls and moving the larger pack around is what rattled them.
The refs let the Storm sleep in the ruck

But I think Annesley is doing a great job by and large and is accountable every Monday good or bad and doesn’t shield his refs

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
The ref's have the power to easily decide the outcome of Storm games. They invented the wrestle and if they allow them to there is no team in the comp who will beat them. First half not so bad and we were on top, second half they allow them on longer and it changes.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The ref's have the power to easily decide the outcome of Storm games. They invented the wrestle and if they allow them to there is no team in the comp who will beat them. First half not so bad and we were on top, second half they allow them on longer and it changes.
I don't care if they try to slow down the game, its footy but its the dog headlocks and leg twisting that needs to go.. The amount of times I saw Jacko get up after playing the ball looking like he wanted to knock the ***** out after choking him in the ruck was ridiculous! Either get It out of the game or penalise it because it seems Melbourne are taking advantage of the no fighting policy!