Opinion Second Half Fades

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even though yesterday was a great effort from the boys, the trend of second half fades over recent years continued. So far in 2019 we have scored 6, 6, 4 and 4 in our second halves. It was the same problem last year as well. We started well in so many games but often faded late.

And its not just a current problem. Under Hasler our second halves were also pretty ordinary. We used to be the comeback kings back in the day but I struggle to remember a decent comeback in recent years. We scored a few late tries to beat the wooden spoon knights in 2017 but any comeback wins have been few and far between. And in most matches we are gassed by the the midway point in the second half and have been that way for the best part of a decade.

I am certainly no expert but maybe we need to look at our fitness and off season training.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ive always said that JJ is not a complete Captain. He doesnt seem able to martial the troops and shut down games.
I know hes a great player, but not that great as a skipper. Foran is the best option (when fit).

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn’t blame Jackson for that... I agree our fitness is something we have been struggling with for some time. Seems like the better teams get better as the game goes on and we sort of drift away with dropped balls and stupid mistakes... fingers crossed with a few more games the young pups will be more fit and if they keep the same attitude we would win a lot more games then we lose

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Two things in particular causing this:

- Side is obviously not fit enough.

- Squad is young and with that comes not enough focus. The gameplan is obviously good, but they lose focus at certain points of the game which is really costing them.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our side in key positions is still relatively young. Fadeouts will happen.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We played a fair chunk of that game with 15 men.
Not too many teams would go with the storm in that situation.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't see any fade outs yesterday! If anything after Melbourne was up 18-12 the boys could've lost by 30-12 but they didn't.

Conceding 18 points to Melbourne isn't fading out...
This year :

First half combined score 42 to 40.

Second half combined score 20 to 62

I think its safe to say our second halves are a worry but you are entitled to your opinion

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
This year :

I think its safe to say our second halves are a worry but you are entitled to your opinion
Take out round 1 and 2, they were just shockers.

10 For 20 Against in the second half, it's not to bad considering 12 of them were from Melbourne who again are almost impossible to hold out for under 18 points with most teams let alone this young team.

It would be nice to score more tries in the second half but maybe replacing JMK with Lichaa has some effect (Although I thought his passing was much better yesterday)?

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Two things in particular causing this:

- Side is obviously not fit enough.

- Squad is young and with that comes not enough focus. The gameplan is obviously good, but they lose focus at certain points of the game which is really costing them.
I would also add the psychology of prematurely overprotecting the lead and inviting them back in. We may well be stuck in that groove of creating a lead and clicking into an anxious mode that kills our instinct and momentum.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Young and still learning a lot An taking it all in, doing VERY well considering and yes you can expect some lapses, but that will get better game by game..!!

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ive always said that JJ is not a complete Captain. He doesnt seem able to martial the troops and shut down games.
I know hes a great player, but not that great as a skipper. Foran is the best option (when fit).
You say alot of dribble and 99.9% is just that, dribble

Its either your 7 or 9 who "shuts" down games. What planet are you living on?

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take out round 1 and 2, they were just shockers.

10 For 20 Against in the second half, it's not to bad considering 12 of them were from Melbourne who again are almost impossible to hold out for under 18 points with most teams let alone this young team.

It would be nice to score more tries in the second half but maybe replacing JMK with Lichaa has some effect (Although I thought his passing was much better yesterday)?
Yep fair point

But as I said it happened all of last year as well and has been happening for a fair while now

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This year :

The two big blowouts have occurred with Sue and Fualalo on the bench. Clearly our bench was the problem.

Since the re-shuffle and the move of Elliot to the bench and the inclusion of Ogden and Smith, have been our last 2 second halves combined are 12 - 14

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn’t delve too much into fading out against the storm we lost napa early chn for a large chunk leaving 15 against 17 for a huge part of the game it was a fantastic effort

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Ogden and Smith had plenty of impact. Elliot was weak. Lichaa was trash.

Fix that and we'll be ok.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
You say alot of dribble and 99.9% is just that, dribble

Its either your 7 or 9 who "shuts" down games. What planet are you living on?
Don't waste your energy with this bloke mate. He says some of the dumbest shit I have ever read on this forum. I'll give you one of his best comments, "Martin Taupau doesn't make meters, his meters are a myth" yet Taupau makes around 160 - 170m per game.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
If Martin kicks that goal we draw even with the best finishers in the business. Fade my ass