'What's he supposed to do?': Rare decision divides NRL fans

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you may need to watch it again, let's say Smith pushed Chambers ~1/10 of second later which would be without doubt legal. Chambers still ends up where he ended up, past the dead ball line. It wasn't like Chambers was diving to put the ball down, he was still upright and Smith had serious momentum on him. There was considerable doubt that he would have scored at all even if he caught the ball cleanly, which was in itself not guaranteed, he could have knocked it on just as easily. There were 2 things wrong with the penalty try call, not just the one where Smith was reaching for the ball.

Go Dogs
May be in the old days. Seems like they are more generous these days on the probability of a try being scored. Cordner was not close to the ball in one of the origin games last year. Cronulla got one, i think vs knights, because the chaser was interfered.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Smith should’ve played at the ball. Would’ve stopped that try.
Learning experience for the kid.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
The kicker for me is how Chambers slowed down and took an eternity to play at the ball. Smith would not have seen where the ball is and from that angle, the ball would have disappeared in front of Chambers so Smith had every reason to believe that old mate had the ball and was about to ground the ball for a try. Some responsibility must be placed on Chambers to not fuck around and effectively shepherd the ball from Smith having a fair go at it. Smith should be entitled to play at the man so for me NO TRY!
Very well said! And I don't think the shepherd needs to be deliberate.

When you are positioned between the ball and the offender in the attacking in goal, there is no way we should be making it hard for the defender to prevent a try. It is pathetic and a snowflake mentality to be giving the defender a hoop-jumping exercise so attacking players get free passes. You should allow the defender (with no harm being the only condition e.g. head high, knees, spear tackle etc) to do what it takes to prevent the try scorer. We are expected to have this silly notion that you need to somehow follow these little technical rules when you have no full vision, no time and total desperation in your intent to do the only thing that matters - STOP A FUCKING TRY. You can tell that the rule makers were not in their footy-playing brains when they made up shit rules like this.

The clear line for me is that Chambers was between Smith and the ball with no time to waste. Smith therefore is allowed to rush into Chambers with the hope it will prevent him from getting to the ball. I think this, however, should only be applicable in the in-goal in the act of preventing a try and there has to be a direct line of impedance between defender, the attack and the ball. Also, if the attacker has one foot on the try line when the impact happens, then that should also be deemed in the in-goal and allowed.

This game is hard to officiate at the best of times, but we have to protect the physical nature and the spirit of the rules and not get caught in treating players like powderpuff snowflake fairies that need precious rules to protect their delicate attempts to score a try to impress their nanna ffs.

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
No he would have scored 90 times out of 100. That is enough for a penalty try
You need to read the penalty try rule, "would" is an absolute it doesn't say "might" or "90 out of 100" times.

Too bad the refs stuffed this one up too, as agreed by Annesley;
Where taken 8. A kick at goal after a try may be taken from any point on an imaginary line drawn parallel to the touch line in the field of play and through the point where the try was awarded.

The 2nd ref got the location right but was then pulled closer to the sideline by the ref who awarded the try. Who knows whether 3 or 4 metres less angle might have resulted in a less difficult kick not being shanked.

Go Dogs

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
First of all what’s defence huh, so wraps on Smith for defending the line and bad call by refs

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No he would have scored 90 times out of 100. That is enough for a penalty try
No he would of been tackled into touch... as you saw on the weekend he was tackled into touch during smith motion of playing at the ball.. if he moved his hand and touched the ball the same result would of occurred

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Decisions should be made full speed fullstop

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Smith should’ve played at the ball. Would’ve stopped that try.
Learning experience for the kid.

Yep, Smith should have gone for the ball instead of tackling Chambers. but anyone in Smiths position would have done the same cos

a) he was completely blind sided and had no idea that lazy Chambers still hasnt got the ball in his hands
b) He had to make a decision in nano seconds and obvious choice was to tackle the bloke. Again looking at the replay i am not sure what Chambers was doing wasting time looking at the ball and not grabbing it and putting it down.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You watch the game in normal time so clearly it was same time fuck all this slow motion replay bullshit

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Smith should’ve played at the ball.
Smith did play at the ball, that's why his right arm was around Chambers trying to get his hand to the ball. It wasn't a tackle, he was reaching for the ball.

Go Dogs

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
You watch the game in normal time so clearly it was same time fuck all this slow motion replay bullshit
good point - it's as if we expect players to have access to something like a future slow mo video to reference to guide their frame by frame moves. LOL

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Penalty try can ONLY be given when a try is beyond reasonable doubt. Several factors could have lead to the try not being scored. Hence.. not a penalty try.

You see this all the time in games when players are contesting kicks.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Lol true, funny how the useless prick missed Vunalloopoo croc rolling on Meaney's leg while standing above them but could cyborg the nanosecond of ball contact with the NO TRY effort!

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Penalty try for mine but smith made the right decision based on what he could see in a split second

Bbyss

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Try or noTRY every club should get the same treatment and also captains...

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It was the right call going by the book. Like it or not.

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The decision was the same as the penalty against Cameron Smith. Both competing for the ball and on both occasions a penalty was awarded. I have no sour grapes with this one. However consistency in this area is key moving forward. This decision ultimately cost us the game so if the same thing goes against us in another round show on the other foot I will be pissed.

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Well. If anything Chambers was in the way or Smith Therefore denying him a far shot at the ball .

ANOTHER EXAMPLE
although it wasn’t a try

A Rabbitohs player was in the way of Remis Smith trying to mow down Corey Allan yet it was a penalty to Souths but should of been to us cause he denied Smith a fair shot at Allan .

For that Smith was better off falling down when he got stopped by a player without the ball