After reign of mistrust, Foran typifies brave new world at Belmore

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He quit rugby league mid-season in 2016, walking out on the Eels.

The Warriors helped him off the canvas in 2017 before he moved back to Sydney to be closer to his kids, signing with the Bulldogs for 2018. A toe injury ended his season after 14 matches.

At only 28, injuries have derailed his career. In the off-season he married his new partner and worked his backside off at Belmore, getting fit and setting his sights on season 2019 being one of true redemption.

Brave performance: Kieran Foran played most of Sunday’s match on one leg.Credit:NRL Photos

Reports were that he was firing in the pre-season. Then we saw it for real in his trial form. In round two, we saw it in the first half against the Eels, then for the full game against Wests Tigers last week.

As the Dogs registered their first win for the year, a fit Foran was in the thick of it. As he scored in the first half, he injured an ankle and limped through the rest of the match.

On Monday at recovery at Belmore, Foran came out of the team rooms to get some ice and had a jovial chat with the journalists present. He was smiling, saying his ankle just needed some ice and rest to be “sweet” to take on the Storm on Sunday.

He couldn’t have been more polite or happy. The Dogs had had a win. He played well. Onwards and upwards with many of his troubles behind him.

When he was battling his demons, Foran would never have left the sanctuary of the team rooms while journalists were present. He wouldn’t make eye contact. He was wary; lacked confidence. He wondered what you were thinking about him. Who was out to get him?

But Foran is healing and realises now he can be himself. It’s great to see.

Less is Belmore: Former Bulldogs coach Des Hasler.Credit:AAP

One thing is certain: he had absolutely no idea his ankle injury was so serious it needed surgery and three months off. It was simply a rolled ankle to him. He had played 60 minutes with it.

It’s such a shame.

A fit Foran is crucial to the Bulldogs under Dean Pay.

Many have questioned the coach receiving a contract extension through to the end of 2020. It’s all about stability, and a return to being the “family club”.

It’s working.

Under Des Hasler, the club became the polar opposite. It was a dark place where there was no light. Suspicion and a mistrust of anyone and anything reigned supreme.

You never felt welcome there.

They might have a team struggling on the park, but the ship is turning at Belmore. Last week, NRL debutant Jayden Okunbor and club debutant Nick Meaney were put up for interview.

The media almost fell over. In recent times, it was unheard of for the club to be so open.

Which is why the Foran injury is so disappointing. They need him on the field driving results while things are happening off the field at Belmore.

They may well get hammered on Sunday afternoon in Melbourne, but eventually the family club will claw its way back.

As long as it leaves the light on.
https://www.newsline.com.au/2019/04...st-foran-typifies-brave-new-world-at-belmore/

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Yeah because none of the media's actions would have been responsible for them not wanting to talk to you guys hey???

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I love how the media destroy people and clubs then think they should get treated like royalty by the same clubs...........

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Read the article, had some positives and we all know the rest.

Love the club and glory days are coming :grinning:

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
imagine being a bulldogs player walking into des haslers office after he has just seen moneyball and he has come up with his own formula lol

like he says to you that you have a score of 2.295 or something, and you just know its a fake number because you cant capture all the intricacies of rugby league into a metric

and if you bought into it then you only succeeded in becoming a robot nrl player ("I need this meterage and a few offloads to get a 2.41 score ffs")

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our salary cap debacle would of been real interesting if we nabbed Tedesco, Moses along with Woods.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our salary cap debacle would of been real interesting if we nabbed Tedesco, Moses along with Woods.
The more I think about it I wouldn't be surprised if Dib was going to rort the cap. I would have loved to know how they were going to manage it.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
The more I think about it I wouldn't be surprised if Dib was going to rort the cap. I would have loved to know how they were going to manage it.
The Fox NRL show last week. Ben Ikin was questioning how Des was going to pull off this miracle but **** just said, he wasn't given the chance to show us. Lol no-way on earth was their a plan that would have worked short of cheating and getting caught!

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Fox NRL show last week. Ben Ikin was questioning how Des was going to pull off this miracle but **** just said, he wasn't given the chance to show us. Lol no-way on earth was their a plan that would have worked short of cheating and getting caught!
Des was on big money with us, I'm certain he is on no where the same money at manly, and his back ended contracts were only to ensure he earn his bonuses. The longer he stayed at our club the the worse the cap situation would have been, can't imagine how bad the situation would have been if he had been allowed to stay to the end of his last contract, and to top it off can anyone imagine what it would have been like if he and the club had cheated the cap and got caught.
The fact that he and Cleal allowed our player development to be run down to such an extent, just proves that he had no interest in the long term welfare of our club.
Looking at his whole tenure at our club I can only conclude that he had only contempt for the club that was paying him, big $$$$$.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Des was on big money with us, I'm certain he is on no where the same money at manly, and his back ended contracts were only to ensure he earn his bonuses. The longer he stayed at our club the the worse the cap situation would have been, can't imagine how bad the situation would have been if he had been allowed to stay to the end of his last contract, and to top it off can anyone imagine what it would have been like if he and the club had cheated the cap and got caught.
The fact that he and Cleal allowed our player development to be run down to such an extent, just proves that he had no interest in the long term welfare of our club.
Looking at his whole tenure at our club I can only conclude that he had only contempt for the club that was paying him, big $$$$$.
Yep to be honest the whole Des and Dib years could be erased from Doggies history as all it did was take us to the brink of destruction without even a trophy for comfort!

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Was that an attempt at a feel good story about Canterbury?

I didn't recognize it because it contained the word Bulldogs.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Easy he would have got advice from his mate Nick.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What a terrible article. At least it was trying to say something positive about the club for once but it was completely all over the place.

Do they not realise Foran's contract and constantly being injured is holding the club back, not helping it get closer to the "glory days"?

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think there is a competiton, between Foran & Klemmer on who gets the most stories about themselves during the season.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think there is a competiton, between Foran & Klemmer on who gets the most stories about themselves during the season.
Are the mighty bulldogs your second team lol?!!