Opinion Phil Gould

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recall some time ago how Gould managed to get (conned) Packer into putting from memory $5-6 M into the Panthers because they were broke. (Which is surprising considering of all the asserts the Panthers supposedly own). As far as juniors are concerned I would love for our club to have the same junior are as Penrith.
WE don't need Gould, he would never have his heart in our club, and would would only cause divisions.

2thebone

Waterboy
Reaction score
Gould is a great rugby league brain who speaks his mind. He is no bullshit leadership.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil Gould will not be coming to the dogs in any official capacity. But there is no need to bag the guy. Both Gus and Chris Anderson have impressive records. Gus was made captain of the Penrith Panthers at 20 years of age which must speak volumes for his character. He won the premiership with Penrith as a player and would have been in the dogs team that won the premiership under Warren Ryan but for the fact he had broken his ankle. In his first year of coaching he coached the dogs to the Premiership. And yes he was then pushed aside for Chris Anderson. He went on to rebuild Eastern Suburbs and later Penrith. He coached successful Origin teams. As someone who has met and spoken with Gus, I have a lot of respect for him and his football knowledge. So what about Chris, well Peter Moore recruited him from Forbes and he set a season try scoring record for the dogs (later bettered by that great centre Nigel Vagana). He played and Coached for Australia. As a coach he won premierships with Canterbury and Melbourne and almost got Cronulla over the line. The only downside was his favouritism in selections shown to his son. So both Chris and Gus have demonstrated by their records as players and coaches that they are at the top end in football talent, knowledge and ability. Whilst on the subject, most people will know how Gould came to ear the nickname Gus from the Simon and Garfunkel lyrics “get on the bus Gus” following his antics during a training run. Which brings me back to the current dogs selections and the disastrous first two weeks results. Selections are best made on a players performance in games and not on the training paddock.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No need for Gus Gould. We are already developing junior programs, yes we are behind the panthers but so many clubs are they have a huge base along with Parra. His time has passed. The fact the Andersons are in charge of the club now and the fact that he hasn’t really succeeded in the field for a long time means a no. I believe the panthers board want to get rid of him as he has down the job off the field and there is no success on the field. Andrew Hill is doing and ok job at the moment and I feel Anderson could mentor Pay a little more. We have the Hughes brothers back involved at a board level and also scouting talent. We are building it is just going to take a few years. Gus won’t bring instant success

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Will never be apart of any bulldog organisation
Anyone that thinks Gus is a good idea doesn't remember the drama he created and left last time he was here. Or the mess he left at Penrith the 1st time he was there..A drovers dog could have coached that 88 Premiership team..

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't understand the love affair some of our fans have for Gould he has made so many comments which can only mean that he has a real hate for our club.
If we don't remember what we heard or seen we havens learned anything. As far as having made the Rotters the club that they are today I would give the credit to uncle Nick and his salesmanship and his millions not Gus.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Penrith was right on the finals fringe and looking just about fool proof for the future, Gus turned up, worked his magic, and they have been "rebuilding" ever since.

The Bulldogs already have a pretty crap roster and not much depth of promise in our juniors, there is nothing here for Gus to mess up so I doubt its a good fit. If he was looking to be a coach maybe its a different story, but he doesn't want that, he wants to be a back seat driver, and I can't think of a reason any team needs that.

turveys asthma puffer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Phil Gould will not be coming to the dogs in any official capacity. But there is no need to bag the guy. Both Gus and Chris Anderson have impressive records. Gus was made captain of the Penrith Panthers at 20 years of age which must speak volumes for his character. He won the premiership with Penrith as a player and would have been in the dogs team that won the premiership under Warren Ryan but for the fact he had broken his ankle. In his first year of coaching he coached the dogs to the Premiership. And yes he was then pushed aside for Chris Anderson. He went on to rebuild Eastern Suburbs and later Penrith. He coached successful Origin teams. As someone who has met and spoken with Gus, I have a lot of respect for him and his football knowledge. So what about Chris, well Peter Moore recruited him from Forbes and he set a season try scoring record for the dogs (later bettered by that great centre Nigel Vagana). He played and Coached for Australia. As a coach he won premierships with Canterbury and Melbourne and almost got Cronulla over the line. The only downside was his favouritism in selections shown to his son. So both Chris and Gus have demonstrated by their records as players and coaches that they are at the top end in football talent, knowledge and ability. Whilst on the subject, most people will know how Gould came to ear the nickname Gus from the Simon and Garfunkel lyrics “get on the bus Gus” following his antics during a training run. Which brings me back to the current dogs selections and the disastrous first two weeks results. Selections are best made on a players performance in games and not on the training paddock.
Gould didn’t win a premiership with Penrith as a player nor did he rebuild Roosters before he coached Penrith.