News Exclusive: Andrew Johns lists the recruits Bulldogs should buy to rebuild around

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The club seems to be doing a decent job of late at scouting NRL ready talent I think. Meaney had a good debut for us and was signed before the knights gave him game time as was Cogger. So they're looking at getting good prospects who are stuck behind established stars. They're dangling the chance of cementing a top 17 spot in my opinion. If we snare Robson using the same strategy and the three players kick on and show they've got what it takes we have a solid spine. Getting our playmaking department in order will mean that we don't need to find game breakers in other positions as badly. Create chances for decent backs and they'll do ok. Even the forward pack is going to look better getting passes that allow them to use momentum.

In the past our plans usually involved (1) picking up the right players before they were established and giving them the platform to become stars. Or (2 )picking up out of favour players with some experience deserving of top 17 places.

Examples (1) Willie Tonga,(2) Luke Patten, Andrew Ryan, Nigel Vahana, Mark O'Meley to name a few around one of our golden periods.

Let the Roosters splash huge dollars for the guys who are in their breakout seasons. I prefer we pick them up and see their breakout season happen at our club.

For the moment the top 30 rule can really work in our favour. We just need to be doing a good job of recruiting as money is freed up. I want to make marquee players out of good prospects rather than pay top dollar for marquee players. That was how our club had golden eras and hopefully we use this rebuilding phase to go back to that blueprint.

Last edited:

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never rated the bloke at all really. Can't stand listening to him either with his inability to string straight sentences together.
Personally I don’t know how he was given immortal status of Langer. Langer absolutely dominated SOO Joey was lucky to get the halfback gigs half the time as was shoved to hooker a lot

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So basically Johns theory of rebuilding the Bulldogs is by using players who have only just recently resigned with other clubs and aren't available?

But a waste of space for both the reporter and Johns.

A f@#king joke

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
faunu/B. BRAILEY/robson 2020 (also koroisau and liddle..)
mitchell/manu/ramien/STAGGS/lomax 2021 (a few other decent ctr options available, surely don't have to go past staggs on this list)
NIKORIMA 2021 (not many options, mitchell fiveighth?, find within club?)

-lichaa
-foran
-anyone else not playing in 17 on $

extra $?
fullback
gutherson 2020
trbojevic 2021

want halfback instead (no nikorima, lewis fiveighth)?
croft 2021 (again not many options)

obviously recruitment going into 2021 depends on players resigning or not before november, i'm not going to bother mentioning players on contract
foran only high profile player we're going to lose - lost most of our top players last year, so surely we're sitting on some $ right now, maybe can sign another top player or 2-3 potential/solid players between now and 2021 (i'd love oates, both trbojevic brothers or lodge for e.g.)

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Buckley's chance of stealing tier players like Trbojevic and Mitchell. Focus on guys like Kotoni Staggs who are down the pecking order, when we're in a competitive position down the track throw big money at superstars
Staggs seems like one of the most obvious players for us to target right now, hopefully the club is enquiring.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Commentator commentates on struggling team - kennel explodes. Some of these comments are hilarious “never really rated him anyway” hahaha wow

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Personally I don’t know how he was given immortal status of Langer. Langer absolutely dominated SOO Joey was lucky to get the halfback gigs half the time as was shoved to hooker a lot
Just go and listen to Tallis talk about Johns, he has said on many occasions that no other player could dominate a game like Johns.

He said he had this innate ability to bring teams up to another a level and opposition players were shit scared of him.

Oh and the fact that Knights team that won the premiership and his halves partner was Sean Rudder, says a lot about him.

I’m not a big fan of the bloke myself but I for one rate him as one of the best I’ve seen.

Langer was quality also but in Origin he had Lewis playing with him and the Broncos teams he played with were absolute star studded to say the least.

It’s just people’s opinions anyway, we all see players differently....but I think a Johns was amazing to watch.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Just go and listen to Tallis talk about Johns, he has said on many occasions that no other player could dominate a game like Johns.

He said he had this innate ability to bring teams up to another a level and opposition players were shit scared of him.

Oh and the fact that Knights team that won the premiership and his halves partner was Sean Rudder, says a lot about him.

I’m not a big fan of the bloke myself but I for one rate him as one of the best I’ve seen.

Langer was quality also but in Origin he had Lewis playing with him and the Broncos teams he played with were absolute star studded to say the least.

It’s just people’s opinions anyway, we all see players differently....but I think a Johns was amazing to watch.
I agree don’t like listening to him but I think in my years of watching footy Cameron Smith and Johns were the best I have seen.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kotoni Staggs & David Fafita from the Broncos are both off Contract at the end of 2020 and a free to negotiate this November. We need a strike centre & a middle forward.
So too are the Trbojevic brothers but I reckon they are no chance of leaving Manly.
Maybe Nick Cotric as a centre, he played there before 1st grade as his preferred position.
Don’t be surprised if all 3 Trbojevic boys are made an offer by the club....
Watch this space

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

John's was great in his early years. By the last few years i think he had lost a lot of pace and his dominance was gone. He still offered a lot of intelligence to the play, but he wasn't playing with spiders on him as the saying goes of players that defence didn't like to try tackling. So I can see both sides of the argument about how good he was.

Skidz

Waterboy
Reaction score
What a fuckin scoop. Struggling club should buy some better players. What an amazing insight. A clear undeniable bulletproof foolproof blueprint for the bulldogs to follow, I mean just follow the bouncing ball dogs management, thanks joey. How about some of your so called journo-**** mates chase an actual story. You know, like Rorters treating the salary cap like a high school petty cash account.
Rapana 2020
Sezar 2020
Keary 2021
Cotric 2021
Trbovic 2021
Brandon Smith, please

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d have a crack at
-Kyle Flanagan as a half can also goal kick.
- Euan Aiken as a centre strong runner ok defender runs good lines or young xerri at the sharks has some tow
- Mitch rein as a hooker for a couple years
- Radley as well Versetile can play multiple positions in the middle another Aubusson mould
Definatly a long shot but I’d go for semi radradra not many wingers worth 800-900 but him I would pay
Or another bloke I’d have a look at is Denny Solomona plays rugby has a good try scoring record almost as many try’s as games killed it in super league too played 20s with Melbourne
Wishful

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Storm aren't going to let Munster go.

I like Murray but another backrower is hardly a priority.

Radley is just meh... overrated player in my opinion. Good utility value, but again hardly a priority. John's is making some strange calls lately, hope his health problems aren't getting the better of him.
It’s the eckies

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah I see what he does. He punches well above his weight in defense and he is a good player, just saying all the wank about him by commentators is a bit much. He's not in the same league as someone like Munster or a Ponga or DCE in really turning this club around
DCE wouldn’t turn a carousel around