Opinion Phil Gould

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The Cleary situation makes his position untenable really. He sacked Cleary and by all counts didn’t want him back. I’m not sure outside of one good year with the Warriors what has Cleary done? He’s the new Ricky Stuart really. Griffin has a far better record and didn’t deserve to be sacked for the team’s onfield performance anyway
100% agree, without his over rated as fuck son being three grades above his ability this bloke wouldn’t be coaching the Jersey Flegg side. Yuck, Gould has more
Football Knowledge than this entire forum combined times one thousand

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To all you spastics ripping Gould who probably has the top 5 coaching record in the game, the Penrith rebuild was about making that club financially successful and being able to compete on the football field again. That club was in ruins before he took it over, it was the right decision to let Cleary go in the first place as he is not at all first grade standard and only got the job back because his son is young and over rated as fuck. The fact the board went over Gould’s head like they have an inch of football knowledge is almost as bad as what Desball and co did to this club. So in short I would kill to have someone of his ilk here and not someone like Chris Anderson who manufactured his position at this club
Gould has fooled you good and proper "my dear", he is not the football brain that many think, yes he is cunning which helps him to fool people.
At our club he would only cause division, from head office right through to the cheer- leaders squad.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As smart and knowledgeable as he is, I don't think it would be good for the club.
He acts as if he is the Alpha and Omega and if you don't agree, you're out.
I think it would cause a power struggle internally and start undoing the work that has been done to repair the damage and disharmony that was created at the club.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Penrith players would be spewin, had the chance to be coached by the master coach but got shafted because of Moon Man

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
With whispers of Gould being on the outer at Penrith and not far from exiting, would it be worth picking him up in an advisory capacity to Dean Pay and the recruitment/ retention committees?

Love him or loathe him, the bloke has one of the best footy brains in the business, I think he'd be an asset over the next couple of crucial years.

He also has some Bulldogs pedigree from the 80's as a player and coach.

What do you think?
Massive gambler !!!
He will sell our game plans to the oppositions :fearscream::fearscream::fearscream:

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
To all you spastics ripping Gould who probably has the top 5 coaching record in the game, the Penrith rebuild was about making that club financially successful and being able to compete on the football field again. That club was in ruins before he took it over, it was the right decision to let Cleary go in the first place as he is not at all first grade standard and only got the job back because his son is young and over rated as fuck. The fact the board went over Gould’s head like they have an inch of football knowledge is almost as bad as what Desball and co did to this club. So in short I would kill to have someone of his ilk here and not someone like Chris Anderson who manufactured his position at this club

And that's it summed up. Not to mention how many good juniors Gus could steer in our direction. Even if we only took him on say a 2 year contract. It would be long enough to re-arrange a lot of things in the junior ranks. And him being in players ears about how to maintain composure etc would be second to none. The guy has forgotten more about footy than most of us have ever learnt.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many premierships has Penrith won under Gould, despite having the best juniors in the league for yonks?

No thank you.
He created the best system for those juniors I’d take him

Canis Maximus

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’m getting flashbacks to the Rugby League Live games with those quotes.

“Dear oh dear oh dear. Very poor play from the home team.”
I think his commentating position is more safer than his football operations position - but then again when he starts repeating his points over and over again he annoys everyone but the fact that panthers have been going backwards whilst he's been there only annoys their supporters - lol .

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
His ' five year plan' was put into play when he went back to the Panthers in 2011..........gee is it 2019 already????????

Well into his second 5 years...

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And that's it summed up. Not to mention how many good juniors Gus could steer in our direction. Even if we only took him on say a 2 year contract. It would be long enough to re-arrange a lot of things in the junior ranks. And him being in players ears about how to maintain composure etc would be second to none. The guy has forgotten more about footy than most of us have ever learnt.
Be reminded...
1989...After wining the 1988 GF Gould was booted out of the club by Peter Moore in favor of his son in law...
You guest it...Chris Anderson.
Now...What are the chances of Lynn Moore Anderson and Hubby Chris Anderson employing Phill Gould ???
I would say Zero to None :tonguewink:
But I would agree on one thing...Gould could influence some young talents to come our way !

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Something tells me Chris Anderson wants to be top dog...

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
you flip a coin and ask Gus what is it going to be heads or tails.

Gus will respond that there is a strong possibility that it will be heads but he is having a feeling that it could be tails. so what ever comes up he will keep reminding you that he was correct that he told every one which way the coin is going to flip.
@Mr Invisible ... be honest.... are you Phil Gould?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Will never be apart of any bulldog organisation
I don’t know about that.... he has a face that looks kind of bulldoggy. I could see him joining the National Order of Men Who Look Like Bulldogs...

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
His ' five year plan' was put into play when he went back to the Panthers in 2011..........gee is it 2019 already????????

Well into his second 5 years...
Can't even see them making the 8 this year

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Be reminded...
1989...After wining the 1988 GF Gould was booted out of the club by Peter Moore in favor of his son in law...
You guest it...Chris Anderson.
Now...What are the chances of Lynn Moore Anderson and Hubby Chris Anderson employing Phill Gould ???
I would say Zero to None :tonguewink:
But I would agree on one thing...Gould could influence some young talents to come our way !
Ah right... so very unlikely then haha

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Hell yes. What he done at Penrith not 1 man can do. They were broke , had shit sponsorship, had cap issues with big names on bigger $s. He got the junior programs going and centre of excellence. Penrith neglected their junior now more Than 70% come through their system or lower grades. The fact that we talk about Penrith under achieving is a good thing. Last year they lose their 9 and captain. Lose their 1s choice fullback . For me they win the comp if Wallace is in.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fool Gould....nice old bloke, when he’s not kicking your teeth in at some half arsed NRL convention with Politis and rest of the decaf latte pretenders. Even now at Penrith he seems tighter with the Rorters then ever.

We don’t need Gus

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gould was pushed out by Bullfrog only a year after he won us the 88 GF against the Tigers in his maiden coaching year.
I can’t see the Andersons wanting Gould back at the Bulldogs .

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
gould has a great football brain, but looses credibility with his club rebuilding skills, hes failed at penrith, even retaining players, attracting players, developing young players he has not created what he set out to do