News Napa savours rare try-scoring purple patch.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/02/napa-savours-rare-try-scoring-purple-patch/

Margie McDonald Senior Reporter Tue 2 Apr 2019, 05:01 PM

Dylan Napa joined the Bulldogs this year and has a pet bulldog called 'Julio'. This is widely known.

What is not common knowledge is that Napa had never scored tries in consecutive games in his seven NRL seasons - until now.

After crossing for a rare try in the round two loss to Parramatta, Napa surprised himself as much as his teammates when he scored again in last week's 22-8 defeat of the Tigers.

"I don't think I've done that since under-10s or 11s," he told NRL.com.

Then again, he hadn't scored at all in his last two years with the Roosters (2017-2018), so it's a welcome return for a part of his game that had been eluding him.

"I felt pretty lucky. That try on the weekend I'd just come onto the field so I felt fresher and that's why I was pushing up," Napa said.

Once in the points-scoring mood, it was hard to stop the 26-year-old. He set up a try 11 minutes later for roommate Adam Elliott in the 48th minute of the 22-8 win over the Tigers.

"It's really nice to score tries or be amongst them, but I'd trade all that just to get wins any day of the week."

Front-rower Napa and second-rower Elliott are enjoying the partnership emerging on and off the field.

"We've been great mates since Naps got here," Elliott told NRL.com.

"Building continuously on that partnership out on the field is something we've been working on since day one.

"Hopefully there's more of us linking up and feeding off each other."

Add in Aiden Tolman, Josh Jackson and Ofahiki Ogden and that's a middle that the Melbourne Storm will be highly respectful of on Sunday when the clubs meet at AAMI Park.

"Those relationships start on the training park. If you train it, work it, then it becomes easier come game time," Napa said.

"Even more pleasing is that we have five changes to our team [for Tigers] and it came together well. I'd like to rap Nick Meaney at fullback. It was his first game and everyone said he was a great runner but with that swirling wind out at Campbelltown he took every high ball and didn't miss a beat.

"It's another big test this weekend – the dynasty that is Melbourne. But they've got 13 players and we've got 13 starting players as well."

And Elliott is very glad Napa is in their pack.

"He's been a big confidence-booster for our team. He was the missing link so to speak to know that we had a pack that could be really damaging in the comp this year," Elliott said.

"He's added another string to my bow to have him running off me, or me running off him. It's a good partnership."

The moment that ruled Foran out for three months

Round three secured Bulldogs their first win, now for round four.

"There's been plenty of smiles around the place," Elliott said. "We're a pretty youthful team so for us hopefully backing up is not going to be a problem for us physically."

It has been a problem for five-eighth Kieran Foran, who will miss the next three months with ankle syndesmosis.

That brings Meaney's former Newcastle teammate Jack Cogger into the halves for his first run in Bulldogs colours.

3 tries in 3 games.. GO NAPA!!!

and top Klemmers try scoring record.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Naps is the MAN..!!! What a fucking champ, and his bulldog haha (legend)
My new fav player to date. It was inevitable he was destined to be a doggie :grinning: All makes sense.

Love the bloke already and hope he never leaves!!

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah he could be a new cult figure here if he keeps playing like on Sunday. Getting more mins here & has skills with the ball. Only problem is with me is his post contact meters seems to drop like a sack of spuds as soon as he hits the defensive line. Pros outweighing cons though.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hope he puts some shots on the storm forwards

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah he could be a new cult figure here if he keeps playing like on Sunday. Getting more mins here & has skills with the ball. Only problem is with me is his post contact meters seems to drop like a sack of spuds as soon as he hits the defensive line. Pros outweighing cons though.
I feel this may actually be a bit of a tactic to speed up the play the ball. I remember reading about the team working on this pre season. Its definitely a different style to Klemmer who would stand in the tackle for post contact meters that could have been great if he was making offload but that wasn't happening.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm still wanking over the pass to Elliott, TBH.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mad Monday will be epic if Elliot and Napa get on it :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Hope it’s in a private room, 16 levels under ground with no lights and no reception :p
I can't believe these two are room mates. Scared to think of what goes on in there.
Just keep the phones in the safe guys.

I'm still wanking over the pass to Elliott, TBH.
Oh stick a fork in me, I'm done!!! :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Napa is a mad dog and I hope he buries Cameron Smith this weekend.

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
Elliot doesn’t score that try if Klemmer was in Napa’s positions. #FAX

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So hes done for the Bulldogs what took him over 120games more to do at the Rorter$..

Has had a good past couple of games.. Credit where its due..

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Napa to me looks really happy at the dogs. I like seeing him take the ball up more so than the other forwards although Ogden is becoming a bit of a favorite as well. The Bash brothers making some hits which we havent seen for a while. Klemmer it seems was a fizzer as really never got exited with his game. Just grateful someone at the dogs had the balls to take a punt on Napa as i think this guy is going to be a bit of a leader of our pack

Last edited:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Napa to me looks really happy at the dogs. I like seeing him take the ball up more so than the other forwards although Ogden is becoming a bit of a favorite as well. The Bash brothers making some hits which we havent seen for a while. Klemmer it seems was a fizzer as really never got exited with his game. Just grateful someone at the dogs had the balls to take a punt on Napa as i think this guy is going to he a bit of a leader of our pack
Napa genuinely seems happy to be here. Klemmer didn't want to be here.

Started when we shafted Woods and snowballed from there to the point no player wanted him here anymore.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Napa genuinely seems happy to be here. Klemmer didn't want to be here.

Started when we shafted Woods and snowballed from there to the point no player wanted him here anymore.
Its good how its turned out. Glad Napa is with us i think he also gives confidence to the other players watched him talking a lot against tigers.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s not an excuse for Pay but Elliot eluding to how young a squad we have is important, we have a lot of inexperience in key positions.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Seems like he's a great addition for team morale.. with all our experienced players stepping up, I can see us getting out of our situation sooner than what some will say, this ain't no Nathan Brown Knights shit