Official Dean Pay extends his contract with the Bulldogs by another 12 months.

Bulldogs_4eva

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I like to remain positive on this resigning as it is only for another 12 months BUT and yes there is a big BUT, when this new board was elected they promised to NOT make the same mistake as the previous board/mgt ... I am confused on why this decision on another 12 months was decided so early into the 2019 season ... WHAT was Dean Pay being chased by another club based on his coaching performance so far this year, WHAT was he so much in demand we had to act quickly, WHAT is he a proven performer like Bellamy or Bennett? I think this is ground hog day yet again and for us to move onwards and upwards we need to NOT make rash decisions so quickly ... why could we not wait until half the season at least and then assess what to do!??
BEST post mate I agree 110%, it looks like our new board is no better than the one that re signed Dessie!

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
This board has only been in office one year so far.
The books and roster all the way down to the juniors is a disaster.
There isn’t much anyone can do.
Even Andrew Johns said we just don’t have the talent no matter who’s coach right now. The club from the start stated we can’t make key signings until 2021. We just have to ride it out and see what key signings are made towards the end of next season.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
OMG. Couldn't you at least wait another 3 rnds??

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Have a pint of concrete softcock
Come around Empire Hotel 7.30pm Kings Cross.. we will watching footy drinking whisky you can order a pint of concrete and show us all how its done champ..

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe old Dibby wasn’t so bad after all!

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a two way street. Absolutely Pay hasn't been given much of a squad to work with, but you can't just blame the players in any team for the way they play. Otherwise what is the point of having a coach? Players also don't pick the team, rotate the bench or choose to be played out of position. With all my head scratching watching us play I was still willing to give Pay a little more time to see what he could do. I just don't think we should have made a decision this quickly.
Every team pretty much runs the exactly the same structures in attack and defence so i really don't think coaches have as big of an impact at the top level as everyone makes out. The side for the first two rounds was probably the best we could have put out. No one in the lower grade was clearly better than who we had in the top side.

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don’t know what everybody expects , no coach will touch us with our cap the way it is. Maguire ran as fast as he could from us and I think Pay May just be used asa stop gap whilst we are in this mess.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
We are now officially the laughing stock of the NRL. Why would we rush in and extend a contract 2 games into a new season? I can't see any other club knocking themselves over to steal Pay away from us if we didn't act quick. I also don't think players would think about not coming here if Pay isn't the coach. Starting to have serious concerns about the new board.
Dont get the timing of this. Our worse start to a season in 50 years. We look unfit, clueless, small, with no intensity, fall off tackles, throw intercepts, a hooker that cant grubber.....its 2 games into a new season...if we were to show any fitness it would be now surely...after an intense preseason?.....the only intensity in the club obviously was in Pay showing an intense interest in getting a contract extension before its obvious that he's not offering anything as a coach the players are embracing.

We need to push the Reset button. Just like Penrith did some years ago...when Gould went shopping for Griffin who had put together the Broncos squad and had overseen development pathways. Surely Griffin as he's available would of been preferable from next season?...the sooner the better I would of thought. Pay has bought players to the club who havent shown much so far. So if we show more then an extension is warranted...WHAT HAS WARRANTED THIS RIGHT NOW?????

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
thats the reward for the 76 point scored against us in first 2 games of the season.

Brilliant just brilliant!

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
DEAN PAY EXTENDS HIS CONTRACT WITH THE BULLDOGS BY A FURTHER 12 MONTHS
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have extended the contract of Head Coach Dean Pay by a further 12 months taking him through until the end of the 2020 season.

Bulldogs Chief Executive Andrew Hill saw the extension of Pay's contract as an important part of the club's plan moving forward :

"The Bulldogs are a club that absolutely believes in supporting our people to be the best they can be. We believe it is important to give Dean the backing to lead our young squad forward. Our role as a club is to provide Dean with the best possible environment to succeed. By extending his contract we are showing the faith in him that is a crucial part of that process. We are a strong and united club looking to lay the platform for future success and Dean's extension is part of our overall plan moving forward."

"The NRL is generally not a patient sport, but that said, some things simply take time. Giving a coach only 12 months with an inherited squad and several challenges was not an option for the current Board and Management. We support our people and believe in Dean's ability and want to provide him with the best environment to succeed."

Chair Lynne Anderson also spoke about the club's desire to extend Dean's contract :

"We are a united board with a great deal of football experience and it is during times like this that you draw upon that football experience. The Board was unanimous in wanting to extend Dean's contract and to show our support for him. Last year Dean inherited a squad and a salary cap situation that were not of his making, and we believe it would be unfair to judge him on that. He now gets the chance to shape the future of our football team in his own way.

We very much wanted to give him the opportunity to do that and to show our faith in him."

Former Bulldogs captain and current Board Member Steve Price also backed the decision to extend Pay's contract :

"We have great faith in Dean going forward and know that he is a strong leader and the right man to coach our football club. We strongly believe in what Dean is building and his ability to lead this young squad in the right direction.

Stability and respect have been integral characteristics of the Bulldogs success over the years and that is the platform we'd like to lay for Dean going forward.

This is what the foundations of our great club have been built on over the years."

Dean Pay spoke of his excitement for the future of the club:

"I'd firstly like to thank the Board for the faith that they have shown in me and I'm genuinely excited about the future of this club. We have a young squad that has great potential and anything we achieve in the future will be based on the simple principles of hard work and togetherness. This is a proud club with an incredibly passionate supporter base and I want us to play the type of football that brings them the success that they deserve."
History repeats it self !!!
Nothing against Pay !!!
1984 Warren Ryan sacks Peter Moore's son in-law Chris Anderson who ended up in England as Captain/Coach
1985 Warren Ryan Exact words: win or lose the grand final Bullfrog is pushing me out and who ever replaces me will only be there for 2 years until Anderson is ready to come back as a coach.
Ryan was saved by the teams vote after the grand final who threatened to leave if he is sacked !
Moore and Ryan battled on until Ryan had enough and left at the end of 1987.
1988 Gould was appointed coach and won the grand final.
1989 To upset Gould the club offered him a blank contract extension...they succeeded !!!
In anger Gould leaves and so did the team leaving only Terry Lamb behind...Bullfrog declares " I will build the team around Ba Ba !
1999 Guess who is back ? ..... Chris Anderson .
Now...You can be sure of this, Ben Anderson's name was tossed around as the next coach but he isn't ready yet,
So learning from their history and Bullfrog...The Andersons are buying time until son Ben is ready..Hip Hip Hooray !
You got to love our ROYALS !!!
Now watch the royal's dogs bark foul pretending that it didn't happen or the later won't happen :fearscream::fearscream::fearscream:

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You can actually all go and get fkd. ***** worrying more about looking like flameboyant unicorns on the field rather than killing ***** and each other in order to get a win will love this decision. And remember as long as you try boyssssssss but don’t hurt yourselves.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
thats the reward for the 76 point scored against us in first 2 games of the season.

Brilliant just brilliant!
Hey. The players think his a nice guy and let’s them be relaxed. Deserves a ten year contract. Also don’t forget “I’ll put the bulldog DNA back in the team”.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
History repeats it self !!!
Nothing against Pay !!!
1984 Warren Ryan sacks Peter Moore's son in-law Chris Anderson who ended up in England as Captain/Coach
1985 Warren Ryan Exact words: win or lose the grand final Bullfrog is pushing me out and who ever replaces me will only be there for 2 years until Anderson is ready to come back as a coach.
Ryan was saved by the teams vote after the grand final who threatened to leave if he is sacked !
Moore and Ryan battled on until Ryan had enough and left at the end of 1987.
1988 Gould was appointed coach and won the grand final.
1989 To upset Gould the club offered him a blank contract extension...they succeeded !!!
In anger Gould leaves and so did the team leaving only Terry Lamb behind...Bullfrog declares " I will build the team around Ba Ba !
1999 Guess who is back ? ..... Chris Anderson .
Now...You can be sure of this, Ben Anderson's name was tossed around as the next coach but he isn't ready yet,
So learning from their history and Bullfrog...The Andersons are buying time until son Ben is ready..Hip Hip Hooray !
You got to love our ROYALS !!!
Now watch the royal's dogs bark foul pretending that it didn't happen or the later won't happen :fearscream::fearscream::fearscream:
Wouldn’t surprise me at all if Chris Anderson brings in his son Ben when we are in a better salary cap position and we can recruit some decent players.
Wasn’t he working for us in the lower grades a few years ago?

Last edited:

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh I see. The only possible reason is we are saving money paying Pay peanuts now so we can make a play for a gun coach like Bellemy in 2021? I might do the unthinkable and be watching AFL by then. Wtf