Official Dean Pay extends his contract with the Bulldogs by another 12 months.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have extended the contract of Head Coach Dean Pay by a further 12 months taking him through until the end of the 2020 season.

Bulldogs Chief Executive Andrew Hill saw the extension of Pay's contract as an important part of the club's plan moving forward :

"The Bulldogs are a club that absolutely believes in supporting our people to be the best they can be. We believe it is important to give Dean the backing to lead our young squad forward. Our role as a club is to provide Dean with the best possible environment to succeed. By extending his contract we are showing the faith in him that is a crucial part of that process. We are a strong and united club looking to lay the platform for future success and Dean's extension is part of our overall plan moving forward."

"The NRL is generally not a patient sport, but that said, some things simply take time. Giving a coach only 12 months with an inherited squad and several challenges was not an option for the current Board and Management. We support our people and believe in Dean's ability and want to provide him with the best environment to succeed."

Chair Lynne Anderson also spoke about the club's desire to extend Dean's contract :

"We are a united board with a great deal of football experience and it is during times like this that you draw upon that football experience. The Board was unanimous in wanting to extend Dean's contract and to show our support for him. Last year Dean inherited a squad and a salary cap situation that were not of his making, and we believe it would be unfair to judge him on that. He now gets the chance to shape the future of our football team in his own way.

We very much wanted to give him the opportunity to do that and to show our faith in him."

Former Bulldogs captain and current Board Member Steve Price also backed the decision to extend Pay's contract :

"We have great faith in Dean going forward and know that he is a strong leader and the right man to coach our football club. We strongly believe in what Dean is building and his ability to lead this young squad in the right direction.

Stability and respect have been integral characteristics of the Bulldogs success over the years and that is the platform we'd like to lay for Dean going forward.

This is what the foundations of our great club have been built on over the years."

Dean Pay spoke of his excitement for the future of the club:

"I'd firstly like to thank the Board for the faith that they have shown in me and I'm genuinely excited about the future of this club. We have a young squad that has great potential and anything we achieve in the future will be based on the simple principles of hard work and togetherness. This is a proud club with an incredibly passionate supporter base and I want us to play the type of football that brings them the success that they deserve."
So yet again the supporters have been lied to, what happened to waiting to see how the team Pay picked perform, sack admin and anyone who decided this decision ffs it never ends with these fuckturd's.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The bloke cant fucking coach stop saying we dont have players, we've got players capable of showing more than what we've shown, he clearly cant get the best out of these players, he cant even get bench rotations right, he cant even get our players up for games we've conceded 76 points there's no fucking excuse for this I'm fucken pissedddddd

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are now officially the laughing stock of the NRL. Why would we rush in and extend a contract 2 games into a new season? I can't see any other club knocking themselves over to steal Pay away from us if we didn't act quick. I also don't think players would think about not coming here if Pay isn't the coach. Starting to have serious concerns about the new board.
Because the club know better than anyone what a mess pay was given. We could finish the season last and the driving factor would be our lack of experience and being short two or three big name players. Nathan brown is a great example to look at. He was given faith by Newcastle and is starting to build quite a good roster instead of being judged on his early years when he had a shocking roster.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think they are just removing Pay's excuses like "my future is unsettled".. Who cares because if he does turn out to be shit the club can afford to sack him and move on. We might have a below par roster but we have plenty of $$$$. Let Pay do his best and if its obvious he doesnt have what it takes,..... "Bye Bye"

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I was expecting this thread on Monday not today

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Extending Pay for another 2 years this early in the season after 2 terrible results is rediculous..
In essence they’ve just admitted defeat internally and actually written off 2019 and now 2020.
Stupid decision that didn’t need to be made
Self inflicted harm if things continue to go pear shape

They’ve given up internally and most the fans I know can see right through this decision

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Another 23 + 25 rounds of torture
Montoya at centre should be enough to get anyone sacked

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Let Klemmer have a release
Pay out Des
Upgrade Pay

May as well be renamed the Canterbury Red Cross

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
An obvious move heading towards trying to make some signings for next year

Doggie master

New Pup
Reaction score
Bulldogs club is an absolute mess and I don’t know how this coach deserves another chance. This is a nightmare for the fans as this club is only making the wrong choices. This news makes me sick as the club goes in to ruins.
This club has no directions and I have been supporters all my life but it’s not good to see the team going in this direction as it make me sick.

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Honestly why? Our style of football isn’t innovative or exciting. I was hoping he would prove his worth by season’s end.
No style of footy looks good when your at the bottom of the stack heap.

Dean may go on to be a great coach and mentor to the boys or he may fail, time will tell.

It’s time to give him a chance..the side looked good in the first half last week and I think some of the young guys coming through do have potential to be great NRL players.

This year is going to be all about rebuilding...we’re not winning the comp, just want to see the guys compete for the full 80 and get better as a team.

I’m getting behind Pay

Last edited:

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they are just removing Pay's excuses like "my future is unsettled".. Who cares because if he does turn out to be shit the club can afford to sack him and move on. We might have a below par roster but we have plenty of $$$$. Let Pay do his best and if its obvious he doesnt have what it takes,..... "Bye Bye"
There is a cap to operate football club. If they sack him, they most probably still have to pay him. What they pay him + the salary of the new coach have to be included under that cap

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
AN EXTREMELY CLEVER AND TACTICAL DECISION BY THE CLUB. They have identified the increasing noise on dean pay's coaching abilities from fans and commentators. Even I called for Dean Pay to be sacked after last weeks loss to the eels. However, i completely understand what the club is trying to do here. They are looking to stop the noise, which i am sure has entered the players' ears. The board is not blind and can see how bad the team is performing. There is no doubt that the team is looking to improve, but this task is made more difficult when there are question marks on the coach.

Besides, the club is not stupid. I am certain that the new contract has express terms relating to performance. If the rot continues and the noise is still there I have no doubt in my mind that the club will terminate on grounds of performance. The club knows what they are doing. Let's now hope the players get their shit together and start winning some games.

nangsta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Letting Klemmer go without getting anything in return from Newcastle was soft.

Now we extend Pay.

Puppies not Bulldogs.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What ever happened to having to earn a contract? What's he done to deserve an extension?

This club has become a haven for mediocrity and clearly tolerates making up the numbers.

I'd like to see a DNA test to prove that Lynne is Bullfrogs daughter because back when we were successful, we sacked coaches that won comps a year or two earlier like Ryan and Gould.

Nowadays they don't care about premierships and just making sure they play by the rules and don't hurt anyone's feelings.

Pay may turn things around but either way, this decision at this time gives me grave concerns about the new mob running this club.