Revealed: Bulldogs paying Mbye $175,000 to play against them

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Already hurting from a horror opening fortnight to start the season, Canterbury fans will now need to come to grips with the news their club are still paying Sunday's rival skipper Moses Mbye a whopping $175,000 this season.

The Bulldogs have slumped to their worst defensive start in nearly 50 years as Mbye and his Wests Tigers look to continue that misery at Campbelltown Sports Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

Mbye was squeezed out of Belmore midway through last year, but the Herald can reveal the Dogs are picking up the tab for about $175,000 this year - and in 2020.

Clubs continuing to pay part of a player's wage once they move on is not uncommon in the modern game

David Klemmer and Aaron Woods are also pocketing part of their income from Canterbury despite playing for Newcastle and Cronulla respectively

But Dogs supporters will cringe knowing Mbye has been embraced by the Tigers - so much so he was elevated to the captaincy - and will be paid by his former club to sink the boot into them

Mbye inked a four-year deal with the Tigers understood to be worth around $3 million, including the Dogs' extra payments.

Canterbury chief executive Andrew Hill and coach Dean Pay have moved some of the club's biggest names on in a desperate bid to ease cap pressure caused by their predecessors

The club conceded last year the cap situation was so bleak it was unable to make a play for a marquee player until at least 2021. Canterbury are already the firm favourites to take out the spoon this season.

Pay dumped five players to reserve grade after the Parramatta loss and will hand local junior Jayden Okunbor his debut on the wing.

Tigers halfback Luke Brooks is one person who is delighted Mbye made the call to link with the Tigers.

Brooks has the luxury of leaning on three of the most experienced teammates in the Tigers spine, with Mbye, Robbie Farah and Benji Marshall having played more than 650 NRL games between them.

Another unwanted Dog, Josh Reynolds, who is awaiting a first-grade recall, has also been assisting Brooks at training.

Brooks has started the season brilliantly, and made it known he had also taken inspiration from the flying start made by his Parramatta pal and former housemate Mitchell Moses.

"After the season Parramatta had last year, it was a tough one for him [Moses], but I know what he's capable of, and it's good to see him playing well,'' Brooks said of Moses.

"He moved out in the off-season, but we're still close. We bought some jetskis at Christmas. They're 'his and his'.

"We never really spoke about footy when he lived together. But seeing the other one play well only makes you want to play well

He's controlling the team really well, he's got a young halves partner, and Mitch has that control of the team. I've got the opposite [of young] in Benji, but he's been good, and our spine is working really well.''

Tigers teammates believe Brooks has taken his game to another level and grown in confidence since being awarded the Dally M halfback of the year.

The Tigers will be hoping to play their first game of the season in dry conditions and show what they are capable of with ball in hand at Campbelltown Sports Stadium on Sunday against a spluttering Canterbury.

"Brooksy is growing as a player, you can see it on the field,'' Esan Marsters said. "He's leading us around the park well and his kicking game and running game have gone to another level.

"I think he's got appoint to prove each week for himself. Winning Dally M halfback of year and almost being the Dally M winner there's a lot of pressure on him, but the thing with Brooksy is he's always cool and calm and goes out each week to be the best player he can be. When he's on, we're on."

From SMH

Last edited:

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It’s incorrect to say Pay moved players on. These decisions are not in his remit under this administration.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All these negative dogs stories usually means we’re dus for a win

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As fans we are getting tested every day, we need to stick together and ride this monster wave of negativity! We need to come to terms with what we have become for the moment and just hope it won't last long!

Cheer up peeps there's a light at the end of the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs tunnel (as always), it's just that we have to keep going through it until it becomes too bright (we'll then put our sunglasses on and keep marching right through).

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
WOW...WOW...WOW..!!!!!!!

If there is any truth to this then this is outrageous. If there’s not and it’s another bulldogs beat up then it’s disgusting.. either way fuck them all!

I hope we fucking win this week and shut all their shit talking/negative mouths up!!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I always call bullshit when newspapers try speaking about players salaries. This time is no different. The article doesn't even seem an accurate judge of fans opinion of Mbye. For the most part I think we're happier to have him playing against rather than with us. His salary and lack of earning it based on visible effort is part of the reason we have cap drama.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think the Klemmer thing is the authors way to stir up shit.

Firstly klemmer requested a release, we didn’t release him (so the club isn’t liable for short comings in his contract, he left for “family reasons”).

Secondly I’m sure he also left for his 3rd party deals not being paid. Doubt he go to Newcastle for less money. If anything he’d be on the same if not more.

And the other thing I remember being mentioned was we’d pick up most of woods and mbyes contract from 2018 and this year. So we don’t own anything for next season and start fresh.

If we are paying mbye until 2020 we actually are a piss poor team.

Anyways. Unless the club comes out and slams this article and denies it all then it will most likely be true and the members and fans are the ones being kept in the dark and treated like pieces of crap.

I’d respect honesty in this situation. If this is true I’d love for the front office and coach to own up to it and let us know what there is to look forward to.

Because all we get at the moment is lies and marketing spiels that is actually disrespectful to us who have an emotional and financial attachment to the club without any vested interest (unlike them).

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
if any of this is true, please kill me now.

We are still paying for Mbye? and Klemmer!!!! and also next year!!!!!!!!!!

please, let me out of this misery.

I am done.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
why we went on signing duds this year when we had over due payments for other players?

I thought that we had extra little cash to spend hence why we bought CHN and couple of other shit players.

what the fuck is happening, please some one tell me this is not true.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
it is like doing the DNA test on your kids and finding out that all 4 kids you thought you had with your wife, none of them are yours , the ones you raised and loved and cared for, spent money on their education and stuff, the kids you got emotionally attached to thinking thats your own flesh and blood, they actually belong to some other men.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is like doing the DNA test on your kids and finding out that all 4 kids you thought you had with your wife, none of them are yours , the ones you raised and loved and cared for, spent money on their education and stuff, the kids you got emotionally attached to thinking thats your own flesh and blood, they actually belong to some other men.
Jesus really?

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Calling bullshit on the Klemmer deal, he requested a release. Not even Raelene Castle would sign off on something like that. On what grounds would the club owe him any money?

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How can we be paying anything to Klemmer almighty fk up