News Dogs, Souths eye off Bankwest

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Canterbury and South Sydney will meet ANZ Stadium officials in the coming weeks to renegotiate the terms of their respective deals.

Both clubs have long-term deals with the Olympic stadium, however the Coalition government's re-election at the NSW polls last week means plans to refurbish the stadium will begin after this year’s grand final.

It will leave the Bulldogs and Rabbitohs homeless for two seasons.

The Bulldogs have already locked in one game at Bankwest Stadium in Parramatta this year, and are expected to secure up to 10 games a season for the next two years.

South Sydney are also exploring the possibility of playing out of Bankwest, which is owned by ANZ Stadium operators, Venues Live.

The Eels will play the majority of their games at the venue, while the Wests Tigers have also committed to playing four games at the new facility this year.

The ground will also be the home of the Western Sydney Wanderers, and there are also rugby union matches scheduled.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/28/nrl-sounds-out-clubs-for-potential-nines-return/

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I hate Parramatta but Homebush is a ghost town and ANZ is just a shit stadium with no atmosphere unless its packed.

I look forward to us playing at a rectangular ground again where you're right on top of the action. Hopefully this stadium is better than the old Parra stadium because that place was terrible to watch games at.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hate Parramatta but Homebush is a ghost town and ANZ is just a shit stadium with no atmosphere unless its packed.

I look forward to us playing at a rectangular ground again where you're right on top of the action. Hopefully this stadium is better than the old Parra stadium because that place was terrible to watch games at.
I’m so over sitting in ANZ surrounded by more blue seats then supporters. We are never going to fill it enough to get a atmosphere there so the sooner we leave the better.

Reactions: DT

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
And I can’t comment as im from NZ.. BUT I was at anz stadium!! was there for the 2014 grand final, made the trip especially and didn’t regret it one bit.!!!

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
And I can’t comment as im from NZ.. BUT I was at anz stadium!! was there for the 2014 grand final, made the trip and didn’t regret it!!
ANZ is good when its something like a GF but when its 5:30 on a Saturday night in the middle of winter with 8000 crowd its a terrible place to watch footy.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a great move by the club. I hate ANZ Stadium for club games

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hope the surface can stand up to the traffic. That is the problem at ANZ now and part of the reason we only sometimes get one game on game day.

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Hopefully this stadium is better than the old Parra stadium because that place was terrible to watch games at.
And to get a beer at, and god forbid use the toilets without missing half the game.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If our current form continues.. they should just play at a local council ground.. theyll get a packed ground that way with a couple thousand diehards..

Reactions: DT

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hope the surface can stand up to the traffic. That is the problem at ANZ now and part of the reason we only sometimes get one game on game day.
Can't be worse than what ANZ experienced 5-6 years ago when it hosted:

- The Swans
- NRL: Bulldogs, Tigers, Eels, Souths games
- RU: Wallabies games
- ARL: State of Origin
- Soccer: Socceroos fixtures
- Plethora of concerts/music festivals.

If you have a look at ANZ now, the surface is actually finally recovering from years of abuse, because the majority of the above have either ceased or slowed down.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Will be good, shame about its location though. ANZ when it's done up will be good, being moved in closer to the action. They 100% have to cover the top runs / bays with Bulldogs memrobillia like massive flag coverage, so that it takes away the empty seat feeling, couple with a nice touch of acknowledging the clubs heritage. Would love our own suburban venue, but this is the best we will get

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can't be worse than what ANZ experienced 5-6 years ago when it hosted:

- The Swans
- NRL: Bulldogs, Tigers, Eels, Souths games
- RU: Wallabies games
- ARL: State of Origin
- Soccer: Socceroos fixtures
- Plethora of concerts/music festivals.

If you have a look at ANZ now, the surface is actually finally recovering from years of abuse, because the majority of the above have either ceased or slowed down.
Brand new stadium so I guess they want to get their money worth.........

Exactly, they have basically been forced to decrease the game day experience and that is why a lot of the times we get only ONE game on game day at ANZ to save the integrity of the surface....it looks like a bit more of the same for the new stadium with possibly four NRL clubs playing there, soccer, union........it will be a bit more of the whipping boy when ANZ is out of commission...they don't mention concerts but could that also be a possibility too???

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Play there permanently
F anz stadium
Absolute hole

Parra used to play at our home ground belmore
They owe us

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I have seen a lot of videos from Tradies of the stadium from the inside.

WOW!

It is going to be an absolutely cracking stadium
Seen some too. Looks like a mini Suncorp

Robert61

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If our current form continues.. they should just play at a local council ground.. theyll get a packed ground that way with a couple thousand diehards..
Don't even suggest Belmore oval because recent history shows we can't even win games there and besides with our current form even that ground will be too large for the meagre number of spectators. How about some place like Rudd Park that should look packed with 100 watching the game .

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Why don't we play at Sydney Showgrounds / Spotless Stadium? Sure it's normally an AFL ground but it's at SOPA too.

That said Parra is heaps closer to my place.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Play a few more games at Belmore FFS