What’s the difference between Nathan Brown and Pay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bennett left the Knights ominously, saying: "I believe it will take a number of years to reach an acceptable position and that is what I am unable to commit to. A longer term coach is crucial for future success."

In 2015, they use two coaches - Rick Stone then Buderus - and finish last.

Brown then steps in and it’s:
- 2016: Wooden spoon, 1 win
- 2017: Wooden sooon, 5 wins
- 2018: 11th, 9 wins

Throughout this period, their roster is arguably stronger than our current squad. Canterbury’s never had the luxury of superstars in their prime, like a Gagai or Ponga, or even the power of a Tariq Sims.

Was “the writing on the wall” for Brown, as it apparently is now for Pay, when he won 6 out of 48 games in 2 seasons, and went backwards from 2015, and could only win 1 more than us last season?

What evidence ever presented that Brown, during this period, was a “smart” coach, or that he hadn’t “lost the dressing room”?

And for those of us that say, “We’re better than those scummy Knights, we don’t tolerate failure”, well guess what, if we need reminding, it’s starting to seem that we’re just not that special: both clubs have won 2 premierships each in the last 30 years.

The board needs to decide whether or not it’s going to back Deano for the long-term, because that’s the amount of time any coach of this club is going to need.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
brown gets some sort of weird protection because they were so historically shit in that first season that everyone blamed the circumstances and wayne bennett for putting them into that position and no blame is put on brown

that's what pay should have done, he should have been extremely shit like win only 2 games last year so that all the blame is put on hasler and he gets sympathy, then pretty much anything is seen as progress from that

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
The difference in my opinion is, brown wouldn’t play so many players out of position the way pay has been doing. It’s make no sense.

bells76

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The difference is ones shit but smiles and is upbeat , the other is shit and looks likes he’s been pulling cones out of witches hats for 30 years.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The difference in my opinion is, brown wouldn’t play so many players out of position the way pay has been doing. It’s make no sense.
Playing Ponga at 5/8 isn’t out of position, hahahaha.
There are plenty more, but surely that one example kills the claim.

Go Dogs

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Brown has been a head coach for years and is a fail. Pays only had 1 season

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brown is like pay. Good bloke, shit coach. Newcastle won't win whilst he is in charge

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bennett left the Knights ominously, saying: "I believe it will take a number of years to reach an acceptable position and that is what I am unable to commit to. A longer term coach is crucial for future success."

In 2015, they use two coaches - Rick Stone then Buderus - and finish last.

Brown then steps in and it’s:
- 2016: Wooden spoon, 1 win
- 2017: Wooden sooon, 5 wins
- 2018: 11th, 9 wins

Throughout this period, their roster is arguably stronger than our current squad. Canterbury’s never had the luxury of superstars in their prime, like a Gagai or Ponga, or even the power of a Tariq Sims.

Was “the writing on the wall” for Brown, as it apparently is now for Pay, when he won 6 out of 48 games in 2 seasons, and went backwards from 2015, and could only win 1 more than us last season?

What evidence ever presented that Brown, during this period, was a “smart” coach, or that he hadn’t “lost the dressing room”?

And for those of us that say, “We’re better than those scummy Knights, we don’t tolerate failure”, well guess what, if we need reminding, it’s starting to seem that we’re just not that special: both clubs have won 2 premierships each in the last 30 years.

The board needs to decide whether or not it’s going to back Deano for the long-term, because that’s the amount of time any coach of this club is going to need.
Very well put. I totally agree. I was actually a supporter of Brown through these tough years as well because I could see what he was building, and in most losses the Knights were competitive.
I think the big issue people are struggling with is the size of the defeats in the first two rounds. I myself have been disgusted by this. But after 4 or 5 days I slowly begin to remember where we are at as a team.
Given the situation we are in it is really hard to gauge what kind of coach pay is. But it's also a bit ridiculous to suggest that he is a shit coach with no clue, just because you dont like his team lists.
By all reports Pay has at least created a positive and happy environment within the club, and given the magnitude of our rebuild this is incredibly important.
Will Pay be our long term coach? I'm not sure. Does he deserve time to recover from where we are at? Definitely.
I'm not expecting miracles, but if we can get it together and build on last year then I think he will probably have learnt another year to try and build o the hard work he has done. Just as Brown did.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What’s the difference? Pay actually won a premiership!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't believe Brown is the right coach for Newcastle either.

Ponga will be a half eventually but should still be at fullback for now where he'd have a greater impact at the moment.

He also dropped Ese Ese who was their best prop last season and if they didn't have Pearce and Ponga, their attack would be a complete joke as tactically I believe Brown has no clue.

They have a great squad now and if they don't make the top four this season then surely Brown will be fired.

In regards to Pay, I think keeping him longer will make it harder for the next coach to make an impact and to attract players from other clubs.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The only difference is the real Canterbury and the supporter base DEMAND success. Yes you're right from the coaching perspective, however we seem to be waining as of late and have become meek in all aspects thanks to our predecessors. You know who you are.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
brown gets some sort of weird protection because they were so historically shit in that first season that everyone blamed the circumstances and wayne bennett for putting them into that position and no blame is put on brown

that's what pay should have done, he should have been extremely shit like win only 2 games last year so that all the blame is put on hasler and he gets sympathy, then pretty much anything is seen as progress from that
No it’s newcastle it’s two of the tv platforms in channel 9 and fox were mths johns brothers are influential . If they are happy he stays . We’re tbe dogs the team people kick when down but we fight back . I hope pay stays but he does have to wake up, I wanna see a coach’ like BELLAMY or Robinson after a loss where they are seething from a loss

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Difference is we are a powerhouse no thanks to bullfrog where’s their bullfrog to make them a powerhouse you can’t compare us with the knights they haven’t had their golden decades yet

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If he doesn't get results this year he will be gone it just means they wasted 4 years with the wrong man in charge.

Brown has been hiding behind the "rebuilding" excuse since he arrived. Even after going to the player market heavily in the last few years he says the team will need more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.