Dog gone? Why Dean Pay has six rounds to save his job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought toovey was a good coach for a bloke who was in similar position as pay. Manly were fucking crazy sacking him. There needs to be an investigation into t hi s... Lol

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Who let 2 representative backs go without signing a solid replacement? The replacement he signed backs wise are Crichton and Meaney who have now both been utilised in ISP. Poor acquisitions at this stage and one of the many causes for the results we have suffered.
Yes why aren't we like the Roosters who let one rep player go ( who according to them was on a reduced contract due to behavioral issues) so they could sign two internationals as replacements.....that's right we have a salary cap to keep to.

I am not saying I disagree with you about some of the acquisitions but we were never going to be able to sign any real superstar with the money we had and still be able to contract 30 players as is the NRL rule....

Last edited:

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Exactly, overall our squad is at best very average, not sure what Ennis is expecting. If Pay wasto go I'd love to hear Ennis' response if he was tapped on the shoulder.
Agree. I was never under the illusion that we would be super competitive this year or even next year but like any fan I was expecting the blokes in the squad to put in a good effort each week even if we didn't win...all I want in the circumstances we find ourselves in is some pride and application...we have seen neither in the first two rounds.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Some of us are still in denial after it has become glaringly obvious that our salary cap position was an epic fuck up of all fuck-ups! So now we get to live the consequences of it on the field fully before we turn it around - it's called life - no one said we had to like any of it!

Last edited:

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Who let 2 representative backs go without signing a solid replacement? The replacement he signed backs wise are Crichton and Meaney who have now both been utilised in ISP. Poor acquisitions at this stage and one of the many causes for the results we have suffered.

That's the cap problems he has been given to work with

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
People saying our club doesn’t breed good players just take a look at our players we have brought through and let go. Cook, taupau, finucane, sezer, Klemmer, mbye, Reynolds, ese’ese just to name a few. We have still produced them non stop over the years and then let them go to become great players elsewhere. Even keighran is looking like a decent half after all these years of having shocking halves and one of our young fellas puts a masterclass on us for the warriors. The team that could’ve been is so much more depressing than what we are left with. We made so many good players leave. This is why Ogden and toomago need to be worked on and retained before they too progress their career elsewhere. Marty and finucane still in our team would’ve been amazing. Not to mention cook over our pathetic hooker stocks....

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's the first year of the re-build. We were never going to recruit a lot of stars. We will have to hope we get something to smile about until the new board has a level playing field. The juniors had seen long term neglect before the new board took over. They won't become world class overnight.

If at the end of the 4 year tenure the side hasn't seen major improvement at all levels then head office will be Success let to being voted out. Every aspect of our club is needing to demonstrate that they're competent. It could be a few years before we're able to match teams that have been well run for 6+ years. In the interim we as fans will have to just hope everything clicks sooner than later.
I understand all of the above and am willing to be patient but it's a two way street. They cant make questionable signings that don't pan out and tie up precious cap space and expect us to be happy about it.

Especially when we're getting drubbed with listless performances that completely lack effort.

If the team was losing valiantly and positive signs were being showed by numerous signings or young prospects, most of us would tolerate another bottom four finish so long as something positive was going to come out of it.

But when we can see no plan and no hope for the future, then it's very hard to remain patient and impartial. Especially when this is year three of being also rans and having next to no top calibre players left at the club.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I understand all of the above and am willing to be patient but it's a two way street. They cant make questionable signings that don't pan out and tie up precious cap space and expect us to be happy about it.

Especially when we're getting drubbed with listless performances that completely lack effort.

If the team was losing valiantly and positive signs were being showed by numerous signings or young prospects, most of us would tolerate another bottom four finish so long as something positive was going to come out of it.

But when we can see no plan and no hope for the future, then it's very hard to remain patient and impartial. Especially when this is year three of being also rans and having next to no top calibre players left at the club.
If the rumours of us being close to signing Robson are true, it is probably an indication that the board has plans. They're just not going to lay them all out in the open until they bear some fruit.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If the rumours of us being close to signing Robson are true, it is probably an indication that the board has plans. They're just not going to lay them all out in the open until they bear some fruit.
As I said regarding Robson earlier, if we sign him and players of his ilk that are long term prospects that will help turn the club around, then that will buy a lot more patience and faith from fans.

I just hope that Robson's isn't another deal that falls through at the final hurdle like so many over the last few years with other genuine prospects that had a change of heart.

The more thrashings the Dogs suffer, the more likely players like Robson will have backflip and stay where they are or go somewhere more stable.

Which is why if Robson is a genuine option, the club need to do all they can to wrap him up as soon as possible to prevent that happening to us for the umpteenth time.

RabiedDog

Waterboy
Reaction score
I don't think we should avoid rookie coaches at all. Robinson and Seibold were unknowns.. None of the proven coaches inspire confidence or have a good track record..

We just need a young coach who is innovative, flexible with tactics and has an eye for young talent while also being able to get the best out of them.

Get coaches and scouts from Melbourne, Souths and the Roosters, not from Canberra with Pay or the Tigers with McConnell.

The Walkers Brothers or Kevin Walters would be worth a punt.

Pay keeps being mentioned as part of the fabric of the club when people forget he was part of the infamous four that defected. He played more years at Parra than he did with us. So Canterbury don't owe him shit.

Dump him by round 5 if the floggings continue so they can see if whatever interim coach can stake a claim for the job.
Dogs 1989–1995
Eels 1996-1999

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Coaches live and die by results. And so far the results for Dean Pay are woeful and worse - they are trending the wrong direction. It is the decisions that he has made that has been the puzzlement about his ability. Rhyse Martin is but one glaring example. I would have thought a coach would give first opportunity to the bloke who delivered when given a chance at the end of last year. But no way for Dean Pay. How does that build confidence and support? The squad is seriously out of shape and the players of the future such as five eight Lewis are being played out of position at half because Foran is also a five eight. 13 second rowers, one centre and the rest wingers. It’s a long way past blah blah salary cap blame Des. It’s the choices Dean has made that makes me nervous.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Dogs 1989–1995
Eels 1996-1999
I stand corrected. I forgot that he retired fairly young at 30. Either way, he played 108 games for us and 76 games for them and defected so he's not the loyal club legend that the media make him out to be. The club don't owe him anything..

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Former Canterbury player Michael Ennis says “the writing is on the wall” for Bulldogs coach Dean Pay as his future in the job comes under intense scrutiny.

The Bulldogs have lost their opening two games of the season badly, conceding 76 points to sit bottom of the NRL ladder.

Much of the criticism has been aimed at the coach, who took the reins last year from Des Hasler but failed to improve the side.

"This has been a proud club, Moses (Mbye) and I were a part of it for a long time and it’s really sad to see where they’re at at the moment, to be honest,” Ennis told Big League Wrap on Monday.

"I know Dean Pay says they’ve got a young side but ... I think the writing is on the wall for Dean Pay.”

Since taking the reins at Belmore, Pay has won eight of 26 games in charge.

"Four of those wins came at the back end of last year. Round 22 they were fighting for the wooden spoon, so essentially there was not a lot to play for, and it’s a lot easier to play when there’s not a lot riding on it, so they won some games a the back end of the year.” Ennis said.

"You want to see improvement. I know Dean Pay has got a young roster there but they haven’t improved under his coaching from what I’ve seen.

“This has been 26 games, he’s lost 18 of those, and it’s going to have to be a vast improvement.

“They’ve got a really tough draw and by Round 6 they are going to need to have won a game or the drums will be beating really loud for Pay.

"I think the writing is on the wall.”

The Bulldogs face the Tigers, Storm, Dragons, and Rabbitohs over the coming four weeks and could be 0-6 after six rounds of the season.

Ennis believes if Pay hasn’t won a game by then, the coach will be out of a job by season’s end.

But Ennis doesn’t think the club will punt Pay mid-season, rather let him see out his contract.

“Chris Anderson and Lyn Anderson are terrific people, and they are loyal people. I find it hard to believe they would terminate his contract early, given he’s part of the fabric there,” he said.

“But I would find it hard to think they would re-sign him unless there’s a drastic change in performance.”

This guy has never said anything positive about dogs.
What's there to say?

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Still love Ennis, would love to see him back at the dogs as a motivational coach or something. Speaks the truth but not everyone can 'handle the truth'..get over it all you sooks

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Still love Ennis, would love to see him back at the dogs as a motivational coach or something. Speaks the truth but not everyone can 'handle the truth'..get over it all you sooks
Motivational coach? What's he going to teach, how to sledge and then literally run back and hide behind someone?

People can handle the truth but if you're going to point something out, offer a solution. Don't just point out the obvious and jack off over your own voice. Virtually everyone on this site won't deny we're shit.

He's just another media lackey now like the rest of them.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Motivational coach? What's he going to teach, how to sledge and then literally run back and hide behind someone?

People can handle the truth but if you're going to point something out, offer a solution. Don't just point out the obvious and jack off over your own voice. Virtually everyone on this site won't deny we're shit.

He's just another media lackey now like the rest of them.
At least they'll learn something!!!

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If Dean Pay does not get the desired results by 1st of June 2019 then he needs to be advised that he will no longer be the head coach for the Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs in 2020, you may laugh but I believe that Mick Ennis would be the ideal young coach to move this club forward. He was our Captain, played in 2 GF's, he is smart, has a football brain, an excellent communicator and being young will blend in with our young inexperienced players moving forward.
Mick says it as it is and does not take shit from anyone + he is a mongrel which our team lacks in great quantity at the moment oh, I almost forgot! would'nt that make Des happy lol.....Cos Mick likes Dessy does'nt he??

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What the Roosters do is bullshit. The way I see it though is why couldn’t we promote what we already had on a minimum contract? If we promoted Okunbor and Harper instead of getting Crichton or Meany we could front load someone else’s contract which would assist us in the future. I guess what I’m saying is we didn’t need these players we could have acquired cheaper bandaids with what we already had.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Former Canterbury player Michael Ennis says “the writing is on the wall” for Bulldogs coach Dean Pay as his future in the job comes under intense scrutiny.

The Bulldogs have lost their opening two games of the season badly, conceding 76 points to sit bottom of the NRL ladder.

Much of the criticism has been aimed at the coach, who took the reins last year from Des Hasler but failed to improve the side.

"This has been a proud club, Moses (Mbye) and I were a part of it for a long time and it’s really sad to see where they’re at at the moment, to be honest,” Ennis told Big League Wrap on Monday.

"I know Dean Pay says they’ve got a young side but ... I think the writing is on the wall for Dean Pay.”

Since taking the reins at Belmore, Pay has won eight of 26 games in charge.

"Four of those wins came at the back end of last year. Round 22 they were fighting for the wooden spoon, so essentially there was not a lot to play for, and it’s a lot easier to play when there’s not a lot riding on it, so they won some games a the back end of the year.” Ennis said.

"You want to see improvement. I know Dean Pay has got a young roster there but they haven’t improved under his coaching from what I’ve seen.

“This has been 26 games, he’s lost 18 of those, and it’s going to have to be a vast improvement.

“They’ve got a really tough draw and by Round 6 they are going to need to have won a game or the drums will be beating really loud for Pay.

"I think the writing is on the wall.”

The Bulldogs face the Tigers, Storm, Dragons, and Rabbitohs over the coming four weeks and could be 0-6 after six rounds of the season.

Ennis believes if Pay hasn’t won a game by then, the coach will be out of a job by season’s end.

But Ennis doesn’t think the club will punt Pay mid-season, rather let him see out his contract.

“Chris Anderson and Lyn Anderson are terrific people, and they are loyal people. I find it hard to believe they would terminate his contract early, given he’s part of the fabric there,” he said.

“But I would find it hard to think they would re-sign him unless there’s a drastic change in performance.”

This guy has never said anything positive about dogs.
What is there to say that is positive . They are playing shit. It’s that simple he is saying what we all think and cause he’s in the media it gets out there. Pay has done nothing for the team since taking over. Dymock would’ve been a better coach or even the reserve grade coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.