News Okunbor's journey to NRL debut

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jayden Okunbor will this weekend make his NRL debut for the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs after being named in Dean Pay’s squad to face the Wests Tigers on Sunday at Campbelltown Stadium.

A local junior from the Milperra Colts, Okunbor joined the club’s NRL top 30 for the first time in 2019 after graduating through the ranks of the Bulldogs, including graduating from the club's High-Performance youth program, before playing his first full year as an under 20s player in season 2016.

Over the past two seasons, the 22-year old has been a regular member of the club’s reserve grade side and featured in last year’s successful Intrust Super Premiership team that claimed the Premiership and the National State Championship.

“When Deano told me, it felt like it was a dream really. When I broke the news to my loved ones, they reassured me that it was going to happen. It’s something that I have worked so hard for, for so long and to finally get the opportunity, it means everything to me,” Okunbor added.

Having played his junior footy within the Canterbury-Bankstown district, the winger will join the likes of Trent Cutler, Justin Holbrook, Greg Barwick, Daniel Heckenberg and Tim Winitana to make their NRL debut from the Milperra Colts club.

“It has been a long journey, but I feel like my time is right. I have waited long enough and hopefully I can get out there and show people what I have got.”

Schooled at Picnic Point High School, Okunbor stands at 196cm and tips the scales at 108kg, crossed the try-line on eight occasions from his 25 appearances for the club's 2018 ISP side and averaged 109.9m per game.

Away from the field, Jayden is currently completing a Certificate IV in Youth Work and has a Certificate IV in Education Support, as well as being an Advocate for the NRL’s State of Mind program.

https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/2019/03/26/okunbors-journey-to-nrl-debut/

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Really like Jayden and it is great that his dream of playing first grade has been realised but I hope that they are not putting too much pressure on him.

He still has deficiencies in his game and can have a " Montoya" day in defence and the opposition will have done their homework and know this. He is big and strong and has a bit of toe, so let's all pray that he will use these abilities to outweigh his defensive issues.

This may very well be the making of him as a footy player and I wish him well.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
All the best Jayden, hope he kills it for us. We really need some good news.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All the best, but everyone's going to be hating on him after he and Holland let in 3+ tries.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
All the best, but everyone's going to be hating on him after he and Holland let in 3+ tries.
Let's hope someone gets in Pays ear and he swaps Holland and Hoppa. The kid needs experience alongside him for his debut.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's hope someone gets in Pays ear and he swaps Holland and Hoppa. The kid needs experience alongside him for his debut.
Exactly what I was going to say

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wihtout a doubt Hoppa and Martin should take the left edge with Okunbor and CHN, Holland and Smith should be our right.

Only issue is Holland will be defending along side Foran but hey what do we do? Harper isn't exactly shining atm.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hope he has a great debut. It's tough stepping into a team already under pressure. But this is a great year for youngsters to display their ability and stake a claim for future NRL selection. If not for the re-build of our roster, many of them might be waiting for shots for a long time.

Good luck Okunbor

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Everyone needs to give the kid a clean slate because everything that he’s done in reserve grade ( good and bad) don’t mean shit now!

He’s in the bigs’ and could very well rise to the occasion

So instead of death riding him with comments like ‘turnstile in defence ’ etc how about I don’t know ....try supporting him in his debut?

If he fks up so be it because Holland and Montoya have had more shit games than good so at least give this kid ( local junior I might add) a fair hearing before you come at him with a pitch fork and flame thrower

Geez I hope he doesn’t read TK.