Dog gone? Why Dean Pay has six rounds to save his job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
But Robinson and McGuire were still unproven NRL coaches. And Seibold was a Storm assistant.. Who's the next best Storm assistant?

Or another deserving Super League candidate... The Walkers coached Q Cup successfully which is a high level and Walters has won an Origin series.

I don't know who else there is and I understand taking over a rabble wouldn't be ideal for certain unproven coaches but for the right coach, they'd handle it fine.

You could also argue that a proven coach like Henry or Griffin have been fired from multiple clubs so who is to say they're the answer?
Adam O’Brien or Justin Holbrook would be my picks. O’Brien was Bellamy’s long term assistant before switching to the Roosters to gain more experience. Holbrook is currently coaching St Helens in England after being at the Roosters before that. He has coached lower grades at the Dogs before too.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who takes over ?! Griffin ? Cameron ciradlo ? Jim Dymock? Kevin Walters ? I tried Kevie is but could attract talent as he is really well liked

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
The finish to last year got many of our fans hopeful.. if things dont improve dramatically this year Pay will need to be shown the door..

Thats hard for most of us that loved him as a player but it would have to happen..

And if Pay was let go No More Rookie Coaches!
Nah we need a pro coach who has won a few premierships, like Des

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
When did I say we can't criticise Ennis ? I am gonna take a wild guess here and say you HATE Ennis ? If this was James Graham or Steve Price saying these comments I don't think you would care so much.
It's a natural leap when you call people losers that you are defending him. Truth, even when we signed Ennis all those years ago I wasn't happy, didn't like his style of play (I don't like grubs) and his on-field leadership of stupid ill-disciplined penalties annoyed the fuk out of me. Certainly didn't mind when he left either. It turned out well for him in getting a premiership and I am happy for him on that.

I don't like how he now uses his new role in the media to add further pressure and division to our club. There is no need to kick when someone is down. I don't think he has said an original thing yet, seems to be just stating the obvious to me. Hell probably on here stealing comments because we hear it everyday. Maybe as an ex-bulldog who some on here supposedly says loves the club could perhaps look at other areas of this large sport to comment on and maybe be an exception to the media rule on dumping on the dogs. Maybe he could use his position to raise concerns about other things relating to this sport? You know things like Burgess getting off scot free, Sharks not having the 2016 premiership taken off them, Rorters, Sharks, Donkey's and Souffs not having a salary cap? The dictator Greenturd? But no Ennis loves stating the obvious about the club he loves adding to the misery. I'm a good judge of character and I know a person that would sell his mother to get ahead and he certainly strikes me as that type of person. I see it's all paying off for him now as he sits on the right hand side of the fox panel? 2IC on the desk now is our friend. The bloke will do anything to get ahead!

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm extremely upset in what ive seen so far this year and Dean has plenty to answer for .. but I will never lose sight of the position Hasler, Dib and Raelene put us in..
They are all terrible. I don't blame one of them rather I blame all of them

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I think this team has more potential then what they are showing. They are far from contenders but they shouldn't be getting lapped like they are.
Agree... we apparently have the youngest squad by quite some margin. You can't expect everyone to gel instantly.

The potential is there, just the onfield performances aren't.

Pay needs players to hit form and fire, but they just aren't at the moment. When your sides flat you can't do much about it.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree... we apparently have the youngest squad by quite some margin. You can't expect everyone to gel instantly.

The potential is there, just the onfield performances aren't.

Pay needs players to hit form and fire, but they just aren't at the moment. When your sides flat you can't do much about it.
that wont happen if you make the team do an hour and 40 min opposed session the day before the game ..

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm extremely upset in what ive seen so far this year and Dean has plenty to answer for .. but I will never lose sight of the position Hasler, Dib and Raelene put us in..
Exactly!!!

I really don’t care who likes which coach and so on. But the disrespect Pay copps on here is astonishing! The amount of swear words directed at Pay is disgusting! All he’s trying to do is get us out of the hole the boofheads before him put us in!

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly!!!

I really don’t care who likes which coach and so on. But the disrespect Pay copps on here is astonishing! The amount of swear words directed at Pay is disgusting! All he’s trying to do is get us out of the hole the boofheads before him put us in!
I agree people certainly could be more tactful , but they are upset because they've been fed a bunch of lies in the offseason.. not condoning anyone's behaviour but I also acknowledge the frustration..

I'm still not prepared to accept that this is it for our season.. surely we have more fight in us then this..

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
It's a natural leap when you call people losers that you are defending him. Truth, even when we signed Ennis all those years ago I wasn't happy, didn't like his style of play (I don't like grubs) and his on-field leadership of stupid ill-disciplined penalties annoyed the fuk out of me. Certainly didn't mind when he left either. It turned out well for him in getting a premiership and I am happy for him on that.

I don't like how he now uses his new role in the media to add further pressure and division to our club. There is no need to kick when someone is down. I don't think he has said an original thing yet, seems to be just stating the obvious to me. Hell probably on here stealing comments because we hear it everyday. Maybe as an ex-bulldog who some on here supposedly says loves the club could perhaps look at other areas of this large sport to comment on and maybe be an exception to the media rule on dumping on the dogs. Maybe he could use his position to raise concerns about other things relating to this sport? You know things like Burgess getting off scot free, Sharks not having the 2016 premiership taken off them, Rorters, Sharks, Donkey's and Souffs not having a salary cap? The dictator Greenturd? But no Ennis loves stating the obvious about the club he loves adding to the misery. I'm a good judge of character and I know a person that would sell his mother to get ahead and he certainly strikes me as that type of person. I see it's all paying off for him now as he sits on the right hand side of the fox panel? 2IC on the desk now is our friend. The bloke will do anything to get ahead!
Fair enough. I can see your point of view but I just see his bashing of us more as love for the club. I think he clearly wants to be apart of our coaching group which I would gladly welcome. Also not trying to start any beef with you hahahaah

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Fair enough. I can see your point of view but I just see his bashing of us more as love for the club. I think he clearly wants to be apart of our coaching group which I would gladly welcome. Also not trying to start any beef with you hahahaah
Nah you probably called it, I don't like him. I hated him as a player even before we signed him so it's really hard to see him bagging us even if true. Maybe he should present himself at training and offer to help our hookers, god knows they need it. As long as he doesn't teach them cheap penalties lol. I think there is better ways he could help if he does love the club.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it possible that Dean Pay is suited to Rep side coaching? by that i mean maybe he is good at bringing a team together and team building etc but not the tactical side of the game

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck I’d laugh at this thread if we won the next six games straight.

Innis does have a right to his opinion but faaark he is so in love with himself right now

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Last year we were competitive in almost every game and there was a lot of promise towards the end of last year, but we've lost even more players since then and the squad overall isn't good enough. Pay's doing everything he can do. No coaches that are available, or even established ones could make this side what the fans want. If Pay can get the squad 13th or higher then that is a win considering what he has to work with. Pay shouldn't be sacked until he can coach a competent squad, which I don't see us having until 2021.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Some people don’t like hearing what they need to hear! Especially when most of it is the truth.
They’d rather hear what they want to and pretend everything sweet and Rosey

76 points agains wow
Young squad or not that’s embarrassing
He’s had 18 months to sign a centre or have a back up play to the moreis’s Leaving.

Yet he chose Montoya at centre
Game over for me

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it possible that Dean Pay is suited to Rep side coaching? by that i mean maybe he is good at bringing a team together and team building etc but not the tactical side of the game
The other way around you mean? Rep side coach should be good tactically and club coaches should be good at building team?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Last year we were competitive in almost every game and there was a lot of promise towards the end of last year, but we've lost even more players since then and the squad overall isn't good enough. Pay's doing everything he can do. No coaches that are available, or even established ones could make this side what the fans want. If Pay can get the squad 13th or higher then that is a win considering what he has to work with. Pay shouldn't be sacked until he can coach a competent squad, which I don't see us having until 2021.
Yeah this is my view on it too but there is no way on earth he will be given that much rope. Serious WTF if that comment about him having them do a serious opposed session the day before the Warriors game though.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Very possible. He did work with the NSW Under 20's origin side.

I think Kevin Walters fits into the category and he wouldn't be successful as a club coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.