Dog gone? Why Dean Pay has six rounds to save his job

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Former Canterbury player Michael Ennis says “the writing is on the wall” for Bulldogs coach Dean Pay as his future in the job comes under intense scrutiny.

The Bulldogs have lost their opening two games of the season badly, conceding 76 points to sit bottom of the NRL ladder.

Much of the criticism has been aimed at the coach, who took the reins last year from Des Hasler but failed to improve the side.

"This has been a proud club, Moses (Mbye) and I were a part of it for a long time and it’s really sad to see where they’re at at the moment, to be honest,” Ennis told Big League Wrap on Monday.

"I know Dean Pay says they’ve got a young side but ... I think the writing is on the wall for Dean Pay.”

Since taking the reins at Belmore, Pay has won eight of 26 games in charge.

"Four of those wins came at the back end of last year. Round 22 they were fighting for the wooden spoon, so essentially there was not a lot to play for, and it’s a lot easier to play when there’s not a lot riding on it, so they won some games a the back end of the year.” Ennis said.

"You want to see improvement. I know Dean Pay has got a young roster there but they haven’t improved under his coaching from what I’ve seen.

“This has been 26 games, he’s lost 18 of those, and it’s going to have to be a vast improvement.

“They’ve got a really tough draw and by Round 6 they are going to need to have won a game or the drums will be beating really loud for Pay.

"I think the writing is on the wall.”

The Bulldogs face the Tigers, Storm, Dragons, and Rabbitohs over the coming four weeks and could be 0-6 after six rounds of the season.

Ennis believes if Pay hasn’t won a game by then, the coach will be out of a job by season’s end.

But Ennis doesn’t think the club will punt Pay mid-season, rather let him see out his contract.

“Chris Anderson and Lyn Anderson are terrific people, and they are loyal people. I find it hard to believe they would terminate his contract early, given he’s part of the fabric there,” he said.

“But I would find it hard to think they would re-sign him unless there’s a drastic change in performance.”

This guy has never said anything positive about dogs.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The finish to last year got many of our fans hopeful.. if things dont improve dramatically this year Pay will need to be shown the door..

Thats hard for most of us that loved him as a player but it would have to happen..

And if Pay was let go No More Rookie Coaches!

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
But the point is which coach could do anything with this squad?

Just look at how bad our centres are, jeez for holland to be first picked is ridiculous he is a massive problem in defense and has t got much in attack either.

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score

Just look at how bad our centres are, jeez for holland to be first picked is ridiculous he is a massive problem in defense and has t got much in attack either.
Sad part is he (Holland)is our best option that's the problem....

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If they dont think he's the right Option moving forward they need to cut ties when that decision is made. Wont do either party any good staying on knowing the outcome, especially for 20 rounds....

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Somehow I doubt other coaches would have resigned them though.

Bellamy would have this side competing

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't think we should avoid rookie coaches at all. Robinson and Seibold were unknowns.. None of the proven coaches inspire confidence or have a good track record..

We just need a young coach who is innovative, flexible with tactics and has an eye for young talent while also being able to get the best out of them.

Get coaches and scouts from Melbourne, Souths and the Roosters, not from Canberra with Pay or the Tigers with McConnell.

The Walkers Brothers or Kevin Walters would be worth a punt.

Pay keeps being mentioned as part of the fabric of the club when people forget he was part of the infamous four that defected. He played more years at Parra than he did with us. So Canterbury don't owe him shit.

Dump him by round 5 if the floggings continue so they can see if whatever interim coach can stake a claim for the job.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Pays coaching style has a touch of madness about it, it has most of us fans scratching our heads wondering what is this shit??? Looking on in disbelief. I've never liked Ennis since he started his media career but you can't blame him for voicing his opinion on how bad we seem to be playing.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

I think this team has more potential then what they are showing. They are far from contenders but they shouldn't be getting lapped like they are.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
I legit don't understand the losers on here sulking about Ennis saying we are hopeless. Do you think he is lying and we are doing well ? Or is it you just don't like Ennis being a big bully making fun of our little wittle bulldogs

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The finish to last year got many of our fans hopeful.. if things dont improve dramatically this year Pay will need to be shown the door..

Thats hard for most of us that loved him as a player but it would have to happen..

And if Pay was let go No More Rookie Coaches!
Dean could be ISP or Asst Coach if was offerred or was asked.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I legit don't understand the losers on here sulking about Ennis saying we are hopeless. Do you think he is lying and we are doing well ? Or is it you just don't like Ennis being a big bully making fun of our little wittle bulldogs
The last part. Lol

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Different coaches suit squads at different points in time, look at Nathan Brown at Newcastle
Made the tough calls on personnel due to salary cap constraints, went through the pain, identified and signed the right players when needed, developed from within to compliment the new arrivals.
I don't think Dean Pay can rebuild this squad. I was optimistic that Pay, having been in charge of u20 rep teams could find and develop the right players but from what we've seen I no longer think he's the right coach to take this team forward.
It'll take a coach and recruitment team another 2-3 years to right this mess and get us back in the top 4. That's getting everything right too.
No idea who that coach would be though

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I hope he and everyone else keep it up. The more pressure from the media and fans, the sooner the club will have to act and make some smart decisions for once.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yeh, good call mate. We punted him out, he went to the Sharks and won a premiership. Our loss not his.

I don't think for one second when and if we start playing well and dominting that he won't be making good comment about us.

That's his job now, he's a media person in Rugby League, what do people actually want? him to lie?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Different coaches suit squads at different points in time, look at Nathan Brown at Newcastle
Made the tough calls on personnel due to salary cap constraints, went through the pain, identified and signed the right players when needed, developed from within to compliment the new arrivals.
I don't think Dean Pay can rebuild this squad. I was optimistic that Pay, having been in charge of u20 rep teams could find and develop the right players but from what we've seen I no longer think he's the right coach to take this team forward.
It'll take a coach and recruitment team another 2-3 years to right this mess and get us back in the top 4. That's getting everything right too.
No idea who that coach would be though
It goes to show how far we've fallen that we're out recruited by or make worse signings than pretty much every other club.

This club used to be the shrewdest in the business and had a production line of consistent, fit, tough and competitive players.

Nowadays it's mostly a stomping ground for hasbeens, flops and stop-gap solutions...

Most of which don't deserve to wear the Jersey and certainly don't play with any pride.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ennis is right but he’s also pointing out the obvious

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Yeah Ennis is really fukin clever. Has he come up with anything that isn't stating the obvious yet? Fukin loser!

I don't know about Pay either way but I don't think any coach running around could get much out of this talentless team. We had to release any player that resembled a marquee, bought budget and hopefuls just to get to 30 players and here we are. What coach could get a win out of this lot? Then dipshit chimes in and says Pay's job's on the line, him and Mbye of all people were part of this supposed "proud" club for a long time? Yeah so proud that Mbye never repaid anything back in the form of playing well. Yeah everyone listen to this ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.