Opinion Possibly the most optimistic thread you will read this week: Round 3

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
What is known:

Negatives
  • This 1-17 is long odds to win even a single game this season (and most of us already knew this before round 1.....)
  • We are the slowest 1-30 in the game
  • We are one of the smallest teams across the paddock
  • Our once ironclad defence is now the worst in the league
  • We are essentially a bye round for every other team
  • We have the slowest fullback in the game
  • We have the worst centre pairing in the game (possibly of all time?)
  • We have the weakest options for hooker of all the teams
  • I could keep going but with each line I become more and more negaitve, and this thread is about remaining optimistic
Positives
  • The ol' cliché: We are at rock-bottom, so the only place we can go is up
  • The only way to go up is by adjusting our 17
  • We have very good handling (minus some bad eggs)
  • Hoppa's hands are as good as any individual's in the comp
  • Until our flaws caught up with us, we were capable of strangling out a team
  • We have one good winger and one average winger
  • We have good halves (imo)
  • We have some star forwards
  • We are completely written off and it's only round 2. We know that no team is actually out of it this early (even though our current 1 - 17 has no chance in hell)
Now, we will not even consider Pay choosing the same or a similar 17 (of which I am half-expecting and would laugh maniacally if so). Besides, he is "picking on form now"... ... ... so let's consider what another 17 could look like for round 3.

1. Hoppa / Meaney - Meaney was woeful in CC today. But f*** it. Optimism remember?
2. Katoa / Crichton - I would put these names in a hat and draw one for round 3.
3. Hoppa / Harper / CHN - I'll take any of these 3 for centre at this point
4. Hoppa / Harper / CHN
5. Smith
6. Foran
7. Lewis
8. Ogden
9. Cogger - Has kicks / speed and can play heads up. Optimistically, he will beast it - no prior exp needed.
10. Napa
11. RFM / CHN
12. Martin - Welcome back to FG, old friend.
13. Jackson - No more intercepted passes for you Cap'n

14. Tolman
15. Sue / Fualalo - Remaining optimistic that Sue will never play like he did today
16. Elliot / Fualalo
17. C. Smith / RFM / CHN - (depending on other choices)

Alright. Either I am back in the denial stages of grief, or I am looking at a 1-17 with a lot of promise. It only takes a one / a few bad eggs to completely ruin defence and morale, so with a stronger attacking team (which also has more capable defenders within it), I don't see how this 17 could be any worse than the current. If anything, looking at this team I am now once again optimistic for our first win this season heading into round 3. Bring onnnn the Wests Mbye-gers!

Bulldog87

Waterboy
Reaction score
That team is worse than what we fielded today. The sooner people realise there is no hope for this roster, the easier it will become to accept we are shit. We need signings and a few years - simple as that.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That team is worse than what we fielded today. The sooner people realise there is no hope for this roster, the easier it will become to accept we are shit. We need signings and a few years - simple as that.
Yep fishing for the season looking mighty good at present but I will pop back for the women’s world cup

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’d keep Lewis, Jacko from the first grade team. Rest are easily disposable... especially RFM Farout when will ppl get over him he hasn’t done a thing in like 4 years

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
what are the positives again?
There are plenty of positives if you are our opposition. :( Our defense leaks easy points close to 40 points a game, We look unfit and disinterested and our coach is clueless.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
There are plenty of positives if you are our opposition. :(
its not just a guaranteed win but an opportunity to bump up their F/A.

Any team not winning by 20+ score should hang their head in shame.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I witnessed from my seat in the stands today Sue can clean out his locker and ever come back. I don’t want to see him in a bulldogs game ever again.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
These two centre will go down as the worst pairing in the history of the nrl. And will never be beaten to that title.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
What is known:

Negatives
  • This 1-17 is long odds to win even a single game this season (and most of us already knew this before round 1.....)
  • We are the slowest 1-30 in the game
  • We are one of the smallest teams across the paddock
  • Our once ironclad defence is now the worst in the league
  • We are essentially a bye round for every other team
  • We have the slowest fullback in the game
  • We have the worst centre pairing in the game (possibly of all time?)
  • We have the weakest options for hooker of all the teams
  • I could keep going but with each line I become more and more negaitve, and this thread is about remaining optimistic
Positives
  • The ol' cliché: We are at rock-bottom, so the only place we can go is up
  • The only way to go up is by adjusting our 17
  • We have very good handling (minus some bad eggs)
  • Hoppa's hands are as good as any individual's in the comp
  • Until our flaws caught up with us, we were capable of strangling out a team
  • We have one good winger and one average winger
  • We have good halves (imo)
  • We have some star forwards
  • We are completely written off and it's only round 2. We know that no team is actually out of it this early (even though our current 1 - 17 has no chance in hell)
Now, we will not even consider Pay choosing the same or a similar 17 (of which I am half-expecting and would laugh maniacally if so). Besides, he is "picking on form now"... ... ... so let's consider what another 17 could look like for round 3.

1. Hoppa / Meaney - Meaney was woeful in CC today. But f*** it. Optimism remember?
2. Katoa / Crichton - I would put these names in a hat and draw one for round 3.
3. Hoppa / Harper / CHN - I'll take any of these 3 for centre at this point
4. Hoppa / Harper / CHN
5. Smith
6. Foran
7. Lewis
8. Ogden
9. Cogger - Has kicks / speed and can play heads up. Optimistically, he will beast it - no prior exp needed.
10. Napa
11. RFM / CHN
12. Martin - Welcome back to FG, old friend.
13. Jackson - No more intercepted passes for you Cap'n

14. Tolman
15. Sue / Fualalo - Remaining optimistic that Sue will never play like he did today
16. Elliot / Fualalo
17. C. Smith / RFM / CHN - (depending on other choices)

Alright. Either I am back in the denial stages of grief, or I am looking at a 1-17 with a lot of promise. It only takes a one / a few bad eggs to completely ruin defence and morale, so with a stronger attacking team (which also has more capable defenders within it), I don't see how this 17 could be any worse than the current. If anything, looking at this team I am now once again optimistic for our first win this season heading into round 3. Bring onnnn the Wests Mbye-gers!
Next week is a training run for the Tigers, who blew away the side that put 40 on us. We can play around with deck chairs, but the result will still be a 30+ defeat.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our current squad will struggle against a women’s team. We are small week and unfit and have no chance of winning any games this year as far as me watching most of the games so far. We are woeful with no heart. I don’t care if you changed 2/4 of the squad we will end up with the same result. Our defence reads are atrocious and our attack is lacking because we can’t build any pressure. We just need a clean sweep from coach down and start fresh. This rebuild so far looks more like a Traggity then a positive

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We are the laughing stock of the nrl. I’m still proud And always will be bulldog FOREVER.!!! be but we as fans deserve better An need to be heard and listened to..!!! After all we are the ones they should be playing for. it’s a privilege to wear the blue An white!! But the players wearing it now (bar a couple) are just absolutely shaming it. PRICKS!!

I want my club great again and this has gone on too long!!! Clean out,clean up.. I don’t care what it takes just get it DONE.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
From what I witnessed from my seat in the stands today Sue can clean out his locker and ever come back. I don’t want to see him in a bulldogs game ever again.
He cost us 2 try’s.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We need to get rid of to try chn in centres piss montoya off ,jacko to lock and martin/ray backrowers and piss off licha/sue and bring ogden and hopefully renouf is back we need punch off the bench plus elliot will be great off the bench

Dapper Dog

Deitz-ciple
Reaction score
Worse, how so?

Current: 1. Will Hopoate
Suggested: 1. Hoppa / Meaney
Comparison: Neutral. Meaney has not been great, yet his speed might spark our attack. Was average in our CC game today, but did set up a try, almost set-up another and played fine at the Knights.

2. Christian Crichton
2. Katoa / Crichton
Neutral. Katoa was very solid today. Could go either way with this one.

3. Kerrod Holland (k)
3. Hoppa / Harper / CHN
Net positive (+). I think there is more potential in these guys than Holland.

4. Marcelo Montoya
4. Hoppa / Harper / CHN
Net positive (+). No question there is more potential in these guys than Montoya.

5. Reimis Smith

6. Kieran Foran

7. Lachlan Lewis

8. Aiden Tolman
8. Ogden
Hard to say. Tolman is a work horse with good defence, but Ogden packs way more punch in attack. Could go either way with the other just on the bench.

14. Jeremy Marshall-King
9. Cogger
I won’t pretend like this one isn’t insanely optimistic. But Cogger can kick / run / play what’s in front. Assuming our choices are confined to our top 30, its worth a shot imo.

10. Dylan Napa

11. Josh Jackson
11. RFM / CHN
Jacko still in team so moot comparison. Could also keep him here and have Martin in 13.

12. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
12. Martin (k)
Net positive (+). Clear gain imo.

13. Adam Elliott
13. Jackson
Net positive (+). No question here.

BENCH

9. Michael Lichaa
14. Tolman
You could argue for JMK here. Though at least for this comparison I think you could argue for a net positive (+) as Tolman offers more than Lichaa for this comparison.

15. Danny Fualalo
15. Sue / Fualalo
Moot comparison.

16. Corey Harawira-Naera
16. Elliot / Fualalo
Still in the team, so moot comparison.

17. Sauaso Sue
17. C. Smith / RFM / CHN
Moot comparison due to other choices, though Chris smith shows promise so net positive.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Cogger CANNOT defend in the halves and you want to toss him in a hooker? Good god, just play a witches hat out there instead.

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Can’t get any lower? Wait till we play a good team like souths/storm/roosters etc. then we’ll know how low we can really sink :(

Brendan07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Cogger CANNOT defend in the halves and you want to toss him in a hooker? Good god, just play a witches hat out there instead.
I agree with you but I'd almost take the gamble. What have we got to lose? Tigers are winning 20+ anyway.

Personally I'm shipping Foran off to the nearest retirement village and playing Cogger at half with Lewis at 5/8.