Opinion Win lose or draw

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whatever this weeks result against eels, the team named in my opinion is just not the team we should be fielding.

* we have a speedy fb in meaney, throw him in to see if he can do the job

* leave the wingmen at the moment, see how they go with better inside and middle players

* Chn to centre, tall and rangy, built like a centre maybe the answer with Hop

* I would really like to see how Cogger and Lewis go especially behind a much better pack but probably won't happen unless Foran injured

* options for 9 limited, Marschke probably won't be considered yet, Jmk has to play 80 mins

* Don't know if any behind the scenes stuff with Ryhse Martin eg. maybe he's looking to go elsewhere next year or whatever, but he must come into 17 along with Ogden. Apart from those two, sfa options available, Toomaga looked good in isp last year but injured?

I would like to see Harper given a chance sometime this year, but Holland and Montoya only if there the last men standing.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I’ve heard about Martin, heard he’s a lazy trainer and not a very good attitude. Personally find that hard to believe as it looked as though he’d bulked up over the off season.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To the OP thats all on Dean Pay.. i loved Dean Pay as a player.. still unsure on him as a FG coach..

Hes been given a great opportunity as FG coach a NRL club.. coaching is a big gig its just not about coaching, hes gotta be able to select the right players, and build his squad right, make the right calls in recruitment/retention..

Thats the risk with employing a rookie coach with no previous head coaching experience..

I wish him the best, ive got no idea how it will turn out this year..

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
#proudtobeabulldog haha

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
To the OP thats all on Dean Pay.. i loved Dean Pay as a player.. still unsure on him as a FG coach..

Hes been given a great opportunity as FG coach a NRL club.. coaching is a big gig its just not about coaching, hes gotta be able to select the right players, and build his squad right, make the right calls in recruitment/retention..

Thats the risk with employing a rookie coach with no previous head coaching experience..

I wish him the best, ive got no idea how it will turn out this year..
He took the job knowing the risks.

The roster was better when he walked in, and it is now significantly worse. He has recruited a number of players and most of them are playing Kebab Cup.

This is the roster he has settled on. Out of 30 it features maybe 3 or 4 players who would be able to appear in the best 17 of the top 4 sides.

Last season was a write off we were told. We get that. We’ve moved on they said. We recruited Cogger, Meaney and a bunch of other plodders and that was supposed to turn our season around.

The effort from the group was appalling and reminded me of the weak surrenders in 2008.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
From what I’ve heard about Martin, heard he’s a lazy trainer and not a very good attitude. Personally find that hard to believe as it looked as though he’d bulked up over the off season.
Can't believe that either about Rhyse....the only player you saw consistently going around in the sheds to each player to shake their hand and gee them up in fg.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah na martin has been a lazy trainer apparently his whole life. But after how quick the team gassed in round 1 u wouldnt think he would be too far behind them.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Pay decided rather than wielding the axe after a single game, that instead he would give the players a chance to turn things around after last week.

I think that's fair given everything that went on just before last game.

If they don't fire this week though I'd be expecting changes.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Pay decided rather than wielding the axe after a single game, that instead he would give the players a chance to turn things around after last week.
I also think it's very sensible, one game does not a season make.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think a team is allowed a game like that once a year.

Even the great teams have had games like that where they just didn't turn up. I remember the 2004 getting smashed by Newcastle in a shocking performance.

The thing is its Round 1 so was that a one off shocker or a normal game? The only way to find out is just write it off and see what happens on Sunday.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sick of excuses

Sick of brave talk in the media

Just fkn win FFS

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’d like to see CHN at centre. If anything, just so we can fuck off montoya and free up a space in the pack for Martin
I’d also like meany at FB and hoppa in the other centre.

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He took the job knowing the risks.

The roster was better when he walked in, and it is now significantly worse. He has recruited a number of players and most of them are playing Kebab Cup.

This is the roster he has settled on. Out of 30 it features maybe 3 or 4 players who would be able to appear in the best 17 of the top 4 sides.

Last season was a write off we were told. We get that. We’ve moved on they said. We recruited Cogger, Meaney and a bunch of other plodders and that was supposed to turn our season around.

The effort from the group was appalling and reminded me of the weak surrenders in 2008.
Your post is so true and it hurt like a swift kick in the nuts.

Bro, correct me if I'm wrong but I could only come up with 2 players, Jackson and Napa, that would make the 17, in teams that are genuine semi-final contenders.

In reality our team is only worth 6 million ( maybe ). Since June last year we lost 5 International players ( Woods, Josh & Brett Morris, Klemmer and Eastwood ) and 1 representative player (Mbye). But do not despair, because with astute vision and foresight we kick started our roster buildup by recruiting a representative player ( Napa - 2 million over 3 years ) and a bunch of fringe first grade players and "plodders" with experience in "Kabab Cup". And don't forget, we are still working hard to recruit that illusive rock-star fullback ( oops that was spin by the old regime, but let's keep the bullshit going it always sounds good ).

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Napa on 2 mill for 3 years is crazy money when Roostets wanted him out. I thought we were told, the new Board knew what they were doing?

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
Your post is so true and it hurt like a swift kick in the nuts.

Bro, correct me if I'm wrong but I could only come up with 2 players, Jackson and Napa, that would make the 17, in teams that are genuine semi-final contenders.

In reality our team is only worth 6 million ( maybe ). Since June last year we lost 5 International players ( Woods, Josh & Brett Morris, Klemmer and Eastwood ) and 1 representative player (Mbye). But do not despair, because with astute vision and foresight we kick started our roster buildup by recruiting a representative player ( Napa - 2 million over 3 years ) and a bunch of fringe first grade players and "plodders" with experience in "Kabab Cup". And don't forget, we are still working hard to recruit that illusive rock-star fullback ( oops that was spin by the old regime, but let's keep the bullshit going it always sounds good ).
And what would you. Keep at them players and be over the cap? Klemmer wanted out. Yes Napa is on 600k was save 200ish and Napa will be a good fit long term. Woods wasn't the answer , mbye wasn't either at fullback. The twins wanted 2yrs . We are in a heap but youth is going to be the long term answer. We can't keep losing good young kids like we have been though.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think a team is allowed a game like that once a year.

Even the great teams have had games like that where they just didn't turn up. I remember the 2004 getting smashed by Newcastle in a shocking performance.

The thing is its Round 1 so was that a one off shocker or a normal game? The only way to find out is just write it off and see what happens on Sunday.
I think it's worse when its midseason. If you have good form either side of a shocking loss it's far worse in my opinion.
Start of the season with no form guide, not so bad, and possibly it can be contained to a one off.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
And what would you. Keep at them players and be over the cap? Klemmer wanted out. Yes Napa is on 600k was save 200ish and Napa will be a good fit long term. Woods wasn't the answer , mbye wasn't either at fullback. The twins wanted 2yrs . We are in a heap but youth is going to be the long term answer. We can't keep losing good young kids like we have been though.
I still can't believe we didn't agree to the Morris boys for two years, especially Josh.
Brett was injured a lot but at the right money? Is it true he is playing at the Roosters on the NRL minimum wage?
As for Josh he is a better centre than anyone we have ar centre, certainty true for this season.

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I appreciate your post. But, geez it is going to be a very long year if we are already calling for player changes. I completely agree with Deano’s statements in his press conference yesterday regarding selecting the same team this week. The Players need to make up for their crap performance last week. I actually think it also shows that he is not selfish. If he really wanted to he could have dropped Montoya and Lichaa for example as there is also pressure on his job to perform. But he didn’t, which I think is very professional. Plus, making significant changes after just one weeks is risky as it indicates to the players and the Competition that We are in panic mode. Deano is proving a point that he backs his players.

I definitely think we can win this week. I have no doubt that if the slide continues we can expect Meaney and Martin to come in.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really liked your part about keeping the bullshit going. It is entertaining but let us not forget that positive bull shit is better than the negative stuff.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

You have to remember that on paper Pay has the weakest roster in the NRL. If he was to wield the axe based on the NZ debacle, Holland, RFM, Tolman, Foran, Jackson, Napa & Lichaa at the very least. You would replace them with???? Other than Ogden nobody out there hand up & stood out in Canterbury Cup. Pay & the coaching staff erred in playing Napa & Jackson as they were clearly underdone. As for the muppets calling for Meaney & Cogger I’ve been watching both of them for the past 2 seasons- we signed both of them from perennial wooden spooners the Knights & they were both inconsistent in ISP.
We will see over the next 8 weeks just what mettle our coaching staff to develop & bring through SUCCESSFULLY the likes of Toomaga, Ogden, Cogger, Meaney & Harper & the biggest dud Okunbur.
You don’t replace shit with shitter.