Other News Source Rhyse Martin - The Man of a Million Rumours - Consolidated Thread.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The fact that Martin not picked even if 6kgs overweight says more about Dean Pay. Martin can offer way more than Elliott Faulolo. Why do we continually have these problems of good players being treated badly while favs and less talented hold their spots. Its becoming depressing and causing loss of faith in the integrity of the club IMO.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The fact that Martin not picked even if 6kgs overweight says more about Dean Pay. Martin can offer way more than Elliott Faulolo. Why do we continually have these problems of good players being treated badly while favs and less talented hold their spots. Its becoming depressing and causing loss of faith in the integrity of the club IMO.
how the hell is rewarding a poor attitude, good for any team environment.. Look at bellamy for example .. been at the top of the game for many years because of the ethics he has engrained into that team.. allowing a fringe first graders to dictate terms to a coach is a recipe for disaster...

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
how the hell is rewarding a poor attitude, good for any team environment.. Look at bellamy for example .. been at the top of the game for many years because of the ethics he has engrained into that team.. allowing a fringe first graders to dictate terms to a coach is a recipe for disaster...
Hardly "dictate" terms. We still have no confirmation of all these accusations against Martin...lazy trainer/overweight/bad attitude/poor attitude.

How long have they been back from break in pre-season. Its bs to say he is overweight. Looked fit in Canterbury Cup. He has been interviewed several times and always presents as a team player well aware of his responsibilities to the coach and team mates.

If he did drop his head for being left out after his efforts last year, who could honestly blame him. He finally got his chance (but only after Pay FORCED to pick him, SMITH AND LEWIS). Excelled. Kicked faultlessly. Those 3 added an incredible influence on changing the teams fortunes and they then started looking like a football team.

He is a much better player than a few others in the team.

Until I have confirmation that he does have an attitude problem, I will continue to call bs on the media reports as speculation and will give Martin the benefit of the doubt based on his ability, proven influence on the teams winning culture, ability to turn tries into 6 points and dressing shed demeanour and positivity, we could all see last year.

I, and many fans, are alarmed and disappointed at the treatment and continual incidences our club seems to be caught up in since the Hasler days with players. We get another fan favourite to follow and have an interest in and bam, next minute they're on the outer or suddenly turned into slackers. There is something terribly wrong here.

And like with Hasler, it is up to the coach to inspire and have his core group of valuable players ready to go from Game 1. If Rhyse has indeed been slacking off, that is indeed as much about the ineffectual coaching staff as the player and not acceptable in a professional outfit nor is it good for morale when clear favourites are picked.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Round 3 will be the interesting one. If Ryse fires on the weekd and RFM flops I'd expect him to be in the side (or Chris Smith).

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardly "dictate" terms. We still have no confirmation of all these accusations against Martin...lazy trainer/overweight/bad attitude/poor attitude.

How long have they been back from break in pre-season. Its bs to say he is overweight. Looked fit in Canterbury Cup. He has been interviewed several times and always presents as a team player well aware of his responsibilities to the coach and team mates.

If he did drop his head for being left out after his efforts last year, who could honestly blame him. He finally got his chance (but only after Pay FORCED to pick him, SMITH AND LEWIS). Excelled. Kicked faultlessly. Those 3 added an incredible influence on changing the teams fortunes and they then started looking like a football team.

Until I have confirmation that he does have an attitude problem, I will continue to call bs on the media reports as speculation and will give Martin the benefit of the doubt based on his ability, proven influence on the teams winning culture, ability to turn tries into 6 points and dressing shed demeanour and positivity, we could all see last year.

I, and many fans, are alarmed and disappointed at the treatment and continual incidences our club seems to be caught up in since the Hasler days with players. We get another fan favourite to follow and have an interest in and bam, next minute they're on the outer or suddenly turned into slackers. There is something terribly wrong here.

And like with Hasler, it is up to the coach to inspire and have his core group of valuable players ready to go from Game 1. If Rhyse has indeed been slacking off, that is indeed as much about the ineffectual coaching staff as the player and not acceptable in a professional outfit nor is it good for morale when clear favourites are picked.
Ok here is your confirmation. Martin doesnt and never has put in 100% at training. There are others that dont as well in comp but there star backs not a fringe forward. Martins training is well known in rugby league circles. And for last year lewis and smith could not play first grade to the coach unloaded some players to fit them in the top 30. Where were u last year. I too think he is a better prospect than elliot. But he would only sign a one year deal. So your saying we should risk losing better players on long contracts for a player who is only interested in building up his name for a better contract at another club. People need to stop and take a look at that also.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Upset martin. What about if we pick martin who would not commit to the club over these boys that have commited themselves and there families to 3 to 4 year deals. Martin chose to put himself in thus position and i for one will be putting the effort into the people that want to stay here long term and build something. To me that would have alot to do with it. Martin builds his price up and signs for parra next year. Meanwhile pissing off 29 blokes that commited to the club more than martin. So really not that bad of management. Martin was always only gonna be a backup when he would only sign a one year deal. No commitment like his training. Talent yes, but playing him in front of guys that are here in the future could cause some serious in fighting.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
C smith signed for 3 years i think, he will come in before martin.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
C smith signed for 3 years i think, he will come in before martin.
Perhaps you are right with your assumptions about his training-I find it hard to believe but I can't verify . I don't know. I would still pick Martin over Elliott, Faulolo and probably Tolman and (RFM at least in the starting pack). The one year contract can be taken a few ways but it didn't seem to worry Pay last year when he picked him.

Not going to argue the point. It's all a matter of opinion on a player and on this one Payball has the final say.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He should of made a statement and be true to his word and drop/promote a player on his performance .
That way he would get the team thinking f### we have to perform or risk getting dropped .
That's why martins not playing now.

Valley Viking

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I don’t think you can say that him only signing a 1 year deal as lack of commitment. He is in his mid 20’s and we probably gave him a lowball offer, he has backed himself to push his price up, either with us or some other club. Someone who is lazy would’ve taken the two year deal we offered and just been happy to get paid. He is in my squad all day, great line runner, can use the ball and is solid in defence. He looks fitter this year than I have ever seen.

All Hail Mitch

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Upset martin. What about if we pick martin who would not commit to the club over these boys that have commited themselves and there families to 3 to 4 year deals. Martin chose to put himself in thus position and i for one will be putting the effort into the people that want to stay here long term and build something. To me that would have alot to do with it. Martin builds his price up and signs for parra next year. Meanwhile pissing off 29 blokes that commited to the club more than martin. So really not that bad of management. Martin was always only gonna be a backup when he would only sign a one year deal. No commitment like his training. Talent yes, but playing him in front of guys that are here in the future could cause some serious in fighting.
I did find it interesting Martin only signing a one year contract. I believe his premise was that only having a one year contract would keep him hungry as he was always playing for a contract. Now to me being an eternal pessimist it reeks of not wanting to lock yourself and playing the market each season.

That being said, I quite like Martin... I believe he added some variety in attack, not to mention his goal kicking (Much better perventage than our last goal kick forward in Gavin Hill). Unfortunately Pay is in a situation where he is damned either way, he isn't happy with the way Martin is training so he's left him out and people are baying for blood. On the other hand, if he brings him in and he doesn't perform people (possibly the same ones) will be baying for blood for him playing favourites and bringing in a player who hasn't been training well.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I did find it interesting Martin only signing a one year contract. I believe his premise was that only having a one year contract would keep him hungry as he was always playing for a contract. Now to me being an eternal pessimist it reeks of not wanting to lock yourself and playing the market each season.

That being said, I quite like Martin... I believe he added some variety in attack, not to mention his goal kicking (Much better perventage than our last goal kick forward in Gavin Hill). Unfortunately Pay is in a situation where he is damned either way, he isn't happy with the way Martin is training so he's left him out and people are baying for blood. On the other hand, if he brings him in and he doesn't perform people (possibly the same ones) will be baying for blood for him playing favourites and bringing in a player who hasn't been training well.
Loyalty to your incumbents from.last year who won games for you should garner a lot of respect from coaches as well. Pay not up to it if he needs to make an example of Martin.

Pay is dumb. Plenty of coaches use players who have signed contracts elsewhere for the following season, especially when they average 8 points a game in a team who scores 14 per game.

ALX25

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Perhaps just get the player swap done now - Martin for Robson. Win win

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Martin pulls his finger out and does the work at training that very other player does or he spends the season in reserve grade as simple as that.

If that happens he fucks himself over with respect next contract with Parramatta or elsewhere.

If Parramatta want to do a deal this season before 30 June have to look at it I guess.

Having said that, what is going on with players wanting to leave the club?
Is it true Brett Morris is playing for minimum wage at the Roosters?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Rhyse was just crossed to on the sunday footy show. Sowie asked him what Pay has said to him about no being in the nrl squad. Martins response was 'Dean said he would pick me if he could' haha wtf is that about...

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Rhyse was just crossed to on the sunday footy show. Sowie asked him what Pay has said to him about no being in the nrl squad. Martins response was 'Dean said he would pick me if he could' haha wtf is that about...
Sowies a turncoat after writing us off for first game. I swear the bloke has some downs in him.

Martin clearly being vague and honest.... theres only so many spots, it's up to Rhyse to earn his spot.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Perhaps just get the player swap done now - Martin for Robson. Win win
Yeah if there's legs to this story they need to do it now, longer we wait, the greater the chance the Dragons get someone like Merrin instead

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
to me being an eternal pessimist it reeks of not wanting to lock yourself and playing the market each season
Lots of players are doing that now.

TPJ, Oates spring to mind.