News The Matty Johns Podcast: Comments from Kent and Johns

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
On the team:

Kent: "They were so poor last week and there's no explanation for why they were so poor, other than they didn't have a dig. Dean Pay's filthy with certain players. He went in ready to sack 4 or 5 players and he said, 'You know what, I'm not going to sack that many, I'm going to give them all another chance.' But they know they're on their last chance. Some of these guys are playing for their careers this week. Canterbury are in a turn over frame of mind, they've got to start moving players out and getting their roster into shape. If they don't dig in this week, some guys might really do their futures damage."

Johns: "I saw Dylan Napa come out and said, 'If I want to be liked I'll buy an ice cream truck.' Well if they get beat this week he might have to."

-----------------------------------
On Lewis:

Johns: "Difficult day for young Lachlan Lewis, but you have those.
Kent: "He needed help, he needed help...
Johns: "Yep, yep.
Kent: "He needed the bloke playing with him to take over a little bit, take ownership of the side a bit more.
Johns: "Your real bad days like that, and you have a number of them in your career, you learn a lot about yourself, and you build firewalls around your own game. What I mean is you learn to say, 'You know what, I don't do that.' When you're a young player you go out there with all these grand plans, and slowly along the way you learn the things you can and can't do."

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's difficult to know who the 4 or 5 players are that Kent's referring to, but one of them absolutely will be Tolman. You'd have to guess the others are Montoya, Holland, Lichaa and maybe Foran or Elliott. Of course he'd be unhappy with Napa also.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not sure if kent would even know what's going on behind the scenes at the club.

Guy seems to talk a lot of shit, think he just love the sound of his own nasally voice

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If true, this will make a few guys on The Kennel happy? Or will it, he's giving them one last chance....

Sunday will tell the story.

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not sure if kent would even know what's going on behind the scenes at the club.

Guy seems to talk a lot of shit, think he just love the sound of his own nasally voice
Kent said on NRL360 earlier in the week that he had spoken to Pay. He’s also good mates with Ricky Stuart as is Pay obviously. So I reckon it’s true.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Kent said on NRL360 earlier in the week that he had spoken to Pay. He’s also good mates with Ricky Stuart as is Pay obviously. So I reckon it’s true.
Fair point, I just don't know who to believe in the media when it comes to factual information, and kent has been wrong before

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
What did Napa mean by if he wants to be liked he will buy an ice cream truck?
He doesn’t care about bulldogs fans.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
What did Napa mean by if he wants to be liked he will buy an ice cream truck?
He doesn’t care about bulldogs fans.
Nah just that all the crap about the vid etc and doesn’t care what media or critics say. When you sell Ice cream people like ya apparently haha.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The players off contract at the end of this season are;
Brown - he's currently injured, but had better come back strong, every chance he gets he needs to take it with both hands
Fualalo - another playing for his future every single game
Harper - has to be given a chance some time this season to prove he is worth renewing
Katoa - kid can play, probably worth keeping, not on $big
Lichaa - like many others I really don't care what he does this season, he's outa here
Martin - needs to show greatly improved consistency, work harder at improving that and his overall game
Olive - much like Lichaa, has not taken the plenty of opportunities he's been given, outa here
Tualau - surely another playing for his future every game

Since they have contracts beyond 2019, anyone else would have to be offloaded to another team. I don't think we should be paying part of a players freight just to offload them, it's the last resort we had to resort to last year and it's not something that I would like to see continue. Foran's name comes up a lot, but the fact is he has a contract for 2020 and if he plays well this year we will want to keep him. If he doesn't play well then no one will want him and we are stuck with him next year. Injury retirement is the only alternative and that's far from easy. Every player gets some hate on The Kennel, but I don't understand the Tolman hate, every team has to have in the forwards their own version of Tolman. Someone who does the work, every game, who's not a superstar but just gets the job done. (FWIW poor 4th tackle options aren't his fault).

Go Dogs

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope its bloody true and about bloody time. Pay can either fix it fast. Or fuck off fast. I know we dont have a great squad but getting worse is not an option.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The players off contract at the end of this season are;
Brown - he's currently injured, but had better come back strong, every chance he gets he needs to take it with both hands
Fualalo - another playing for his future every single game
Harper - has to be given a chance some time this season to prove he is worth renewing
Katoa - kid can play, probably worth keeping, not on $big
Lichaa - like many others I really don't care what he does this season, he's outa here
Martin - needs to show greatly improved consistency, work harder at improving that and his overall game
Olive - much like Lichaa, has not taken the plenty of opportunities he's been given, outa here
Tualau - surely another playing for his future every game

Since they have contracts beyond 2019, anyone else would have to be offloaded to another team. I don't think we should be paying part of a players freight just to offload them, it's the last resort we had to resort to last year and it's not something that I would like to see continue. Foran's name comes up a lot, but the fact is he has a contract for 2020 and if he plays well this year we will want to keep him. If he doesn't play well then no one will want him and we are stuck with him next year. Injury retirement is the only alternative and that's far from easy. Every player gets some hate on The Kennel, but I don't understand the Tolman hate, every team has to have in the forwards their own version of Tolman. Someone who does the work, every game, who's not a superstar but just gets the job done. (FWIW poor 4th tackle options aren't his fault).

Go Dogs
That mopping up guy is not usually a 102kg frontrower in any other team that I can think of.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone think Napas comments were a snice shot at Josh Massoud.

:D

I don't think Kent knows that much but rather assumes or draws assumptions.

Pay had already said that he was giving the players one more chance to prove themselves.

Everyone has off days but 2 weeks in a row isn't on.

I'd say if there are 5 players on notice:
Lichaa
RFM
Elliott
Montoya
Napa/CHN?

Tegga

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Pay had already said that he was giving the players one more chance to prove themselves.

Lichaa
RFM
Elliott
Montoya
Napa/CHN?
Why would Napa and chn be on notice, they weren’t among the worst out there last week

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Lichaa
RFM
Elliott
Montoya
Napa/CHN?
And people say Martin is behind other 2ndrowers at the club ...theres 3! on your " on shaky ground" list.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Why would Napa and chn be on notice, they weren’t among the worst out there last week
Well Napa is mentioned in OP... I'm guessing he didn't have the expected impact.

CHN needed more minutes.

But Elliott and RFM need to lift (albeit RFM hasn't played in some time).

If Elliott and RFM flop again this week C Smith and Martin need to come in if they have a good game in NSW Cup.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's difficult to know who the 4 or 5 players are that Kent's referring to, but one of them absolutely will be Tolman. You'd have to guess the others are Montoya, Holland, Lichaa and maybe Foran or Elliott. Of course he'd be unhappy with Napa also.
Not too hard if u ask me jean claude

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Chris Martin is utter tripe
Ha done sweet Fcuk all in reserves and that’s even with last years dream run home

Guys like martin, burr, Eastwood and toomaga are streets ahead of him

Chris Smith is not the answer ffs

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The outcomes I'd be happy with this week:

1. We belt Eels 13+, write off week 1 as a perfect storm of first round yips and a supercharged NZ team, carry on with normal programming.
  2. Eels beat us 13+, forcing Dean to drop the 4-5 players we all know he wants to. Right the ship early and bring Meany/ Martin/ Ogden/ etc into the squad.
What I don't want to happen, is we have a tough/ gritty win (or loss), and Dean thinks all is well and keeps things ticking over.

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Well Napa is mentioned in OP... I'm guessing he didn't have the expected impact.

CHN needed more minutes.

But Elliott and RFM need to lift (albeit RFM hasn't played in some time).

If Elliott and RFM flop again this week C Smith and Martin need to come in if they have a good game in NSW Cup.
Napa and CHN? Really??

Id say the 5 players who have been pointed out are
- Lichaa
- ur fav player in Foran
- Montoya
- Holland
- Elliott