News Paul Gallen retiring

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
"Shock" - a 37 year old retiring.

Paul Gallen announces he will retire at the end of the year
Sharks legend and former NSW skipper Paul Gallen has revealed he will quit rugby league at the end of the 2019 season.

Cronulla captain Paul Gallen has revealed he will “definitely” retire at the end of the 2019 season.

Speaking on KIIS 1065’s Kyle and Jackie O Show, the Sharks legend said he’d had enough of the NRL “rollercoaster” and will hang up the boots.

“I’m going to retire from rugby league this year,” Gallen said. “Definitely retiring at the end of the year, Kyle, without a doubt.

“I’ve really enjoyed where I’ve been and what I’ve done but I’m ready to retire.

“I’ve had enough of the rollercoaster to be honest ... the ups and downs. I’m looking forward to the end of the year.

“This is the year, I know it.

“Even this time last year, I was going through the season and thinking the only reason I’m going to retire is because of my age, I’m still performing a role, I’m still doing it, I’m still liking it.

“But I’ve come this year and I’m still performing, I still like it, I still enjoy going to training but like I said before, just the rollercoaster of turning up each week and having to get so hyped for a game (is wearing thin).

“At my age with four kids ... it’s probably time to try something else.”

Gallen, 37, has played 327 NRL games for Cronulla since his 2001 debut, as well as 24 games for NSW and 32 Tests for Australia.

The veteran said he enjoys his media work with Channel 9, whether it be commentating or appearing on talk shows, and would like to stay involved in rugby league after he retires.

“I’ll stay involved with the game, whether it be at Cronulla or other clubs with a little bit of mentoring roles or assistant coaching roles, so I’ll be OK for a little while, for the first few years anyway,” Gallen said.

Gallen has had enough of the “rollercoaster”.Source:Getty Images

The Sharks have been dogged by controversies in recent years. The supplements scandal ruined reputations and this year the club was penalised for salary cap breaches that have sparked questions about whether Cronulla should be stripped of the maiden NRL premiership it won in 2016.

It hasn’t come to that, but earlier this month Gallen flagged his frustration with Sharks administrators and threatened to quit should Cronulla lose its title.

“If we got (our premierships) taken off us I would throw my ring away and I would quit the club immediately. It wouldn’t sit well with me. I would quit (rugby league altogether),” Gallen said on Sports Sunday nearly two weeks ago.

“This is what frustrates me with situations like this and situations we’ve gone through at the club.

“We’ve been let down by the administration once again. But who cops it? The players? Who is sitting here today answering questions? Me, the captain of the club. Who is now going to play with an inferior team for the next two years? The players, while the administrators get to move on.”

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
"Shock" - a 37 year old retiring.

Paul Gallen announces he will retire at the end of the year
Sharks legend and former NSW skipper Paul Gallen has revealed he will quit rugby league at the end of the 2019 season.

Cronulla captain Paul Gallen has revealed he will “definitely” retire at the end of the 2019 season.

Speaking on KIIS 1065’s Kyle and Jackie O Show, the Sharks legend said he’d had enough of the NRL “rollercoaster” and will hang up the boots.

“I’m going to retire from rugby league this year,” Gallen said. “Definitely retiring at the end of the year, Kyle, without a doubt.

“I’ve really enjoyed where I’ve been and what I’ve done but I’m ready to retire.

“I’ve had enough of the rollercoaster to be honest ... the ups and downs. I’m looking forward to the end of the year.

“This is the year, I know it.

“Even this time last year, I was going through the season and thinking the only reason I’m going to retire is because of my age, I’m still performing a role, I’m still doing it, I’m still liking it.

“But I’ve come this year and I’m still performing, I still like it, I still enjoy going to training but like I said before, just the rollercoaster of turning up each week and having to get so hyped for a game (is wearing thin).

“At my age with four kids ... it’s probably time to try something else.”

Gallen, 37, has played 327 NRL games for Cronulla since his 2001 debut, as well as 24 games for NSW and 32 Tests for Australia.

The veteran said he enjoys his media work with Channel 9, whether it be commentating or appearing on talk shows, and would like to stay involved in rugby league after he retires.

“I’ll stay involved with the game, whether it be at Cronulla or other clubs with a little bit of mentoring roles or assistant coaching roles, so I’ll be OK for a little while, for the first few years anyway,” Gallen said.

Gallen has had enough of the “rollercoaster”.Source:Getty Images

The Sharks have been dogged by controversies in recent years. The supplements scandal ruined reputations and this year the club was penalised for salary cap breaches that have sparked questions about whether Cronulla should be stripped of the maiden NRL premiership it won in 2016.

It hasn’t come to that, but earlier this month Gallen flagged his frustration with Sharks administrators and threatened to quit should Cronulla lose its title.

“If we got (our premierships) taken off us I would throw my ring away and I would quit the club immediately. It wouldn’t sit well with me. I would quit (rugby league altogether),” Gallen said on Sports Sunday nearly two weeks ago.

“This is what frustrates me with situations like this and situations we’ve gone through at the club.

“We’ve been let down by the administration once again. But who cops it? The players? Who is sitting here today answering questions? Me, the captain of the club. Who is now going to play with an inferior team for the next two years? The players, while the administrators get to move on.”
Bulldogs supporters and players certainly won't be offering you a shoulder to cry on Paul...

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The sad thing about this is he's probably going to wind up in a media role which will mean that I won't be able to watch whatever show that is.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gallen is a loose cannon now. Pissed off with nothing to lose, Going to try and Shake the NRL up big time

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The sad thing about this is he's probably going to wind up in a media role which will mean that I won't be able to watch whatever show that is.
Just as long as he doesn't end up commentating on Fox Sports, anasta, ennis, Parker and gasnier are bad enough

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
don't think I've seen 1 positive comment on any social media, that wasn't from a sharks supporter

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
All seriousness he gave it his best for NSW when we were at our worst. I respect him for that and standing up for our state when no one else would. I remember one of the games he played 80min at Prop and was best on field.

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The **** should have retired 5 years ago.

All seriousness he gave it his best for NSW when we were at our worst. I respect him for that and standing up for our state when no one else would. I remember one of the games he played 80min at Prop and was best on field.
I don't give a fuck what he has achieved or done, he is still a cheat in my eyes.

Last edited:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Good .. get injured for rest of season and fuck off already.

You're not getting a swansong you cheat.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Most losing-est skipper in SOO history!

And a fucking cheat to boot.

Hope they strip the premiership too.

Bye!

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i actually think he is ok in the media. Pretty much tells like it is and doesn't seem to care about offending people etc we need more of that in the media

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Strip the Premierhip and make him retire early... remember he was going to quit if they stripped it.

Now it makes no difference as he's gone anyway.

DO IT NRL!!! Make him retire a 0 premiership loser and a cheat.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Most losing-est skipper in SOO history!

And a fucking cheat to boot.

Hope they strip the premiership too.

Bye!
He will also become the NRL player with the most career losses sometime this year aswell!

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Now he can do all the peptides he likes without the risk of a whopping three game ban...

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I like how he goes to the media, to "announce" it ? Lol..
Nobody gives a fuck, and it should've happened 4 years ago.
Now we can sit back and wait for the inevitable heart attack or testicular cancer, from a lifetime of steroid abuse.

Vagabond

flumshma
Reaction score
I only remember him as a colossal ball hog who only props up his own stats.