Major changes needed for week 2

Canis Maximus

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Don't change a thing! Leave it as is this week.

Having the ability means nothing if you don't have the motivation to drive you.
The events leading up to the game, fee entry to the game and the weight of the nation on their shoulders drove the Warriors attitude in that game. That was their motivation and they outplayed us all over the park.

If we loose against Parra on Sunday, then a stint in the reserves may be the motivation that some of our players need.

Go dogs!

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
he needs to tweak some changes

When you get pumped in first round then obviously the mix is wrong

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
100% correct .. there is 0 benefit for keeping hoppa in FB if we are looking to the future
Meaney played ok for the few games at the knights and it was Fg isn't that the reason we brought him to the dogs to play FB but instead Pay puts Hoppa in and leaves Meaney out, why the f**K would you invest in a FB if your going to bypass the guy? I agree with some of the kennelers who have said we won't be making the 8 so give the new recruits a run, Hoppa is too f**king slow for FB, Meaney has pace and will improve and will grow in confidence, put Hoppa into the centres.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
RFM was very disappointing & his defence was appalling, back to the bench CHN to start.
I agree, CHN was impressive when he came on, but it was too late to have an impact on the result. I always have thought RFM was better coming off the bench for a couple of short, high impact periods. He doesn't seem to me to have enough mongrel for the softening up period.

Crichton cannot play on the wing due to his stature we’ll see a lot of kicks to his side, I would play him on the wing & replace with Montoya ( we really have no other options at this stage)
My thoughts (as per previous post) would be on the LHS to play Montoya on the wing whenever the opposition is in high kick, try line range. In offence and downfield defence they revert to Montoya centre and Crichton on the wing. With CHN playing on that side to shore up the defence as well as Lewis.

On the RHS I'd put Holland back with Smith. With Jackson, which will help Holland with defence, plus Foran.

Not a lot of changes, because it's far too early to make mass sackings, but enough to hopefully make a difference.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Meaney played ok for the few games at the knights and it was Fg isn't that the reason we brought him to the dogs to play FB but instead Pay puts Hoppa in and leaves Meaney out, why the f**K would you invest in a FB if your going to bypass the guy? I agree with some of the kennelers who have said we won't be making the 8 so give the new recruits a run, Hoppa is too f**king slow for FB, Meaney has pace and will improve and will grow in confidence, put Hoppa into the centres.
I don't believe for one second that Meaney at Fullback and Hopoate at centre would have made one iota of difference last weekend.

Go Dogs

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't believe for one second that Meaney at Fullback and Hopoate at centre would have made one iota of difference last weekend.

Go Dogs
Thats not his point turbo, hes saying if we not gonna make the 8, why not use these young kids in first grade and break them in now instead of waiting till next year. Find out over this season if they have it or not, at least find out cause they might need discarding like jmk as well.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Thats not his point turbo, hes saying if we not gonna make the 8, why not use these young kids in first grade and break them in now instead of waiting till next year. Find out over this season if they have it or not, at least find out cause they might need discarding like jmk as well.
Because they may not be ready, as I posted previously, we risk them losing confidence (something that is very important for a fullback). Plus if they are not physically ready for the hammering that they will inevitably get at NRL level there is the risk of re occurring injury, both short and long term. The coaching staff know far better than we do whether a player is ready or not, that's ready in the head and the body.

Go Dogs

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Because they may not be ready, as I posted previously, we risk them losing confidence (something that is very important for a fullback). Plus if they are not physically ready for the hammering that they will inevitably get at NRL level there is the risk of re occurring injury, both short and long term. The coaching staff know far better than we do whether a player is ready or not, that's ready in the head and the body.

Go Dogs

How were they ready to play 1st grade at the Knights, but not at the Dogs?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
now we're being tipped to run 17th :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::coldsweat:

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go Dogs
Bud i was thrown into grade at 16 cause i had the talent. And there is no bigger confidence booster than blokes believing in u too get the job done, i dont know how being held back because your being told your not ready or good enough builds any fucking confidence, what a load of shit. If they cant hit and stick and run quicker than these older blokes then fucking realease them cause there is heaps of 20 year olds out there that can.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If im 20 year old, in a game that retires u at 30. Id be very fucking pissed off and looking for another club if i had to watch some of the dopey ***** we have in front of me. Confidence is a very over used word for players that just dont fucking have it in them.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
How were they ready to play 1st grade at the Knights, but not at the Dogs?
They had no choice and they only played for the number of games that were absolutely necessary. ie; until the players that they replaced were able to play again. They weren't promoted on merit in that they didn't push someone out that was ahead of them, they simply filled in when someone wasn't available. A very different situation to what we have currently.

Go Dogs

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They had no choice and they only played for the number of games that were absolutely necessary. ie; until the players that they replaced were able to play again. They weren't promoted on merit in that they didn't push someone out that was ahead of them, they simply filled in when someone wasn't available. A very different situation to what we have currently.

Go Dogs
So your alternative is to just play the same guys who do nothing and the losses keep mounting? I agree with you to an extent, you don't want to put 5-6 kids in at once. However surely we can pick 1-2 and rotate them in and out a bit. This is a developing year, we aren't coming higher than 14th. Lets use it to develop a side for 2220 and beyond.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
So your alternative is to just play the same guys who do nothing and the losses keep mounting? I agree with you to an extent, you don't want to put 5-6 kids in at once. However surely we can pick 1-2 and rotate them in and out a bit. This is a developing year, we aren't coming higher than 14th. Lets use it to develop a side for 2220 and beyond.
Shit, I hope it does take 201 years :fearscream:
It's only one game, I've seen plenty of even great teams have a shitter, it's how they bounce back that counts. Hopefully it stings and they get flogged at training as a bonus. There was a couple of good performances in 2nd's last week, Ogden for example, if they step up another level this week then that might be enough to demand a spot.

Go Dogs

crack

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I recall a game in belmore against Canberra where he was on fire .... I know Austin killed us in the last 10 though
Yes we all saw that game, so should he have a first grade spot for ever based on that performance ?