Opinion We need our own home ground stadium

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Belmore was fine 20 years ago when there wasn't the urban sprawl and interest in league there is today.

Try packing even 10,000 cars around Belmore for a game and it's a nightmare.

At ANZ whilst it can cope with that number, theres an hour to get out of the carpark after a game, and a soul-less atmosphere inside the venue.

On one hand a venue that's too small to cater for modern day fans but has an atmosphere (despite losing all games there in recent times).
On the other hand is a massive venue that can cater for modern day fans but has zero atmosphere.

If Western Sydney stadium can find a happy medium I see no reason why not to use it.

Leichardt despite it's flaws still works as a venue, as does (dare I say) Brookvale. Panthers and Central Coast Stadiums as well.

Unless Rugby League games are getting over 25-30k every week, suburban grounds still make sense. Better to have an atmosphere crammed full house, than a 20% filled soul-less stadium.

That said, Belmore Sports Ground doesn't have the facilities re parking that other suburban grounds do.
Asking seriously... does leichhardt and brookvale have parking?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You could probably fit a 25k stadium in Belmore if you really wanted to but funding it is the problem and why it will never happen. The government isn’t going to fund it after shelling out for the new Parra Stadium and the shit fight at the SFS. The Leagues Club isn’t going to fund it either because stadiums are money pits.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Govt, is building a metro to replace the rail line. If they had sense they could/should put it underground after it crossed the river at Canterbury. Big benefits to alleviating traffic congestion from Campsie through to Bankstown, including that ridiculous choke point at Punchbowl. Underground (cut and fill is not that expensive and would give a benefit to the residents along the line which replacing trains with metro alone hardly does. So what would that mean for the Belmore home ground potential? It would take the site potential further north over the now underground metro line and extend the parkland so that the residents are facing a park instead of a railway line embankment.
Why a home stadium at all? Having spent many a year enjoying the games at Belmore, it can be a great atmosphere. Much closer to the action than Homebush where the average punter is pushed to the ends or corners. The place looks and feels empty, food and drink is way overpriced and try waiting on the ridiculously long lines for a tea or coffee. Replacing the hill with a northern stand would give sufficient numbers for the attendance now that nearly all matches are broadcast free to air.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Absolutely not. Both are as bad if not worse than Belmore for parking and in terms of facilities. Its just that both are bigger stadiums which is why they host more games.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If they move our home games to Parramatta I burn my memberships, all 3, Leagues Club, Football Club and season ticket. Public transport is crap, parking is very limited and it would take longer in travel time than the 80 minutes of game time. I’ll stay home and watch it on TV.

I’m quite happy with SOP, I don’t swallow the “lack of atmosphere” shit. Sit amongst 5000 loud passionate supporters and it doesn’t matter what’s happening or not happening with the rest of the crowd. Plus the redevelopment plans show my seat being half the distance to the sideline than it is now. Public transport is great, plenty of restaurants to eat at before or after the game, all up I’m good with playing our home games there.

Playing a couple of games at Belmore is great, remembering the old days. With the low attendance, parking is no harder than it always was. The 2 grounds together provide a good mix of facilities, nostalgia and variety.

Go Dogs

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Belmore could be greatly improved with elevated seating - proper seats - in front of the hill and behind the goal posts. 12000 to 14000 capacity - great atmosphere for games against out of Sydney clubs. Probabaly not worth the cost for two games a year. At this point the Bankwest stadium would be a better option.
Just win a few games first would be good

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Belmore could be greatly improved with elevated seating - proper seats - in front of the hill and behind the goal posts. 12000 to 14000 capacity - great atmosphere for games against out of Sydney clubs. Probabaly not worth the cost for two games a year. At this point the Bankwest stadium would be a better option.
Just win a few games first would be good
You can’t put seats behind the goal posts on either end there’s no room

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is minimal room - where the existing seats are at the Canterbury road end - similar footprint but just elevate to improve the viewing. Cant see it happening but by having close to fence elevated seating at that end and along the hill side fence the viewing would be better.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is minimal room - where the existing seats are at the Canterbury road end - similar footprint but just elevate to improve the viewing. Cant see it happening but by having close to fence elevated seating at that end and along the hill side fence the viewing would be better.
They had plans for a little stand behind the Canterbury Road end a few years ago . I think they needed $5 million from the federal government but they never got it.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
They had plans for a little stand behind the Canterbury Road end a few years ago . I think they needed $5 million from the federal government but they never got it.
Not the best use of 5 mill

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Govt, is building a metro to replace the rail line. If they had sense they could/should put it underground after it crossed the river at Canterbury. Big benefits to alleviating traffic congestion from Campsie through to Bankstown, including that ridiculous choke point at Punchbowl. Underground (cut and fill is not that expensive and would give a benefit to the residents along the line which replacing trains with metro alone hardly does. So what would that mean for the Belmore home ground potential? It would take the site potential further north over the now underground metro line and extend the parkland so that the residents are facing a park instead of a railway line embankment.
Why a home stadium at all? Having spent many a year enjoying the games at Belmore, it can be a great atmosphere. Much closer to the action than Homebush where the average punter is pushed to the ends or corners. The place looks and feels empty, food and drink is way overpriced and try waiting on the ridiculously long lines for a tea or coffee. Replacing the hill with a northern stand would give sufficient numbers for the attendance now that nearly all matches are broadcast free to air.
I don't like your idea because it makes too much sense.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Just did a rough mockup, and it'd be far too tight.

The old Parra stadium was about 25,000m2 STADIUM ONLY.
The below is roughly 26,000m2 STADIUM ONLY.

Then you have parking considerations. The surrounding streets couldn't cope even if the bowling club area or Peter Moore fields were turned into say 5 storey carparks.

Add to that it'd be far too close to Edison Lane homes to get planning / development approval.

Edison lane would need to be 2 lanes each way feeding both carparks, which then reduces the stadium width so it wouldn't fit.

View attachment 9441
Mr I... people are dumb. This is how simple it is...

Canterbury Leagues Club recently finished a multi-million dollar upgrade of their club which includes a new car park multiple stories UNDERGROUND which gives the club (at minimum) hundreds of extra new parking spaces. In addition to this, there is always PLENTY of suburban parking around the club. The club is a 5 minute walk from Belmore Sports Ground.

Problem solved.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If they move our home games to Parramatta I burn my memberships, all 3, Leagues Club, Football Club and season ticket. Public transport is crap, parking is very limited and it would take longer in travel time than the 80 minutes of game time. I’ll stay home and watch it on TV.

I’m quite happy with SOP, I don’t swallow the “lack of atmosphere” shit. Sit amongst 5000 loud passionate supporters and it doesn’t matter what’s happening or not happening with the rest of the crowd. Plus the redevelopment plans show my seat being half the distance to the sideline than it is now. Public transport is great, plenty of restaurants to eat at before or after the game, all up I’m good with playing our home games there.

Playing a couple of games at Belmore is great, remembering the old days. With the low attendance, parking is no harder than it always was. The 2 grounds together provide a good mix of facilities, nostalgia and variety.

Go Dogs
Well,
Make sure your lighter has gas. We’ll have no option next year.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If we wanted a new stadium it'd be far easier to build it at The Crest Sporting Complex, over one of the cricket pitches (that would be 26,000m2 and the same size as the new Parra Stadium). Or it may even fit on Steve Folkes Reserve.

Then take out some bushland and build a multi storey carpark there.

Belmore - zero public venue parking, <50 off street parking spaces nearby. Else all highly contended on street parking.
Brookvale - zero public venue parking, <50 off street parking spaces nearby. Else all on street parking (depending on the day I've parked right out the front before several times for games).
Leichardt - public car park next to oval, 100+ off street parkin spaces nearby (and more a short walk to the waterfront and ). Else all metered on street parking.

Ranking them Leichardt has best, then Brookvale, then Belmore.

Belmore is impossible for parking.

I've never had an issue parking at Leichardt, even during NSW Cup Grand Final events.

Mr I... people are dumb. This is how simple it is...
Canterbury Leagues Club recently finished a multi-million dollar upgrade of their club which includes a new car park multiple stories UNDERGROUND which gives the club (at minimum) hundreds of extra new parking spaces. In addition to this, there is always PLENTY of suburban parking around the club. The club is a 5 minute walk from Belmore Sports Ground. Problem solved.
By that same token so does Brookvale (Manly Leagues is a stones throw away). But many clubs these days are charging for parking (and its for club patrons only) hence I've disregarded them as "available parking" for stadiums.

Agree... there's no way it'd pass council approval having elevated seating at either end, as you have private residential housing.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
Parra and Canterbury have both shared Belmore and Parramatta stadium throughout the years. There's no reason that can't happen again. Even though Parra is a hole, it would be better than ANZ.
If fact, both teams won the comp playing out of the others stadium as a home ground (Eels 83, Dogs 95)

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If we wanted a new stadium it'd be far easier to build it at The Crest Sporting Complex, over one of the cricket pitches (that would be 26,000m2 and the same size as the new Parra Stadium). Or it may even fit on Steve Folkes Reserve.

Then take out some bushland and build a multi storey carpark there.
Who is going to pay for it? It’s all pie in the sky stuff. The only way I could see a stadium being built by the government is at Liverpool so it can be used by Bulldogs, Tigers and the new soccer team out there.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Belmore is impossible for parking.
I've never had an issue parking at Leichardt
My experience is exactly the reverse, never had problem parking at Belmore and Leichardt is impossible. I've given up a few times and gone to the old leagues club and watched the game on TV.
Belmore has 360 degree access to street parking, whilst Leichardt has only 180 degrees as the Parramatta River isn't a very good place to park.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
FWIW I was at Belmore in April 1993 when we set the record crowd at 28k. Coincidentally we beat Parramatta 42-6 that day.8-)

Go Dogs