Major changes needed for week 2

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Imo Harper is not ready for first grade yet but hoppa in the centres and meany at the back might be our only option moving forward.
As desperate as we need to fix our attack our defence outwide needs ALOT more fixing and fast
Which is why I want Harper.. his not far off 1st grade but he can certainly defend.

86Gtown

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Move Holland back to the right to give us that Smith-Holland combo that worked so well last year. Bring in CHN into centre for his defense. Hopoate and Meaney to switch in the game to give Meaney experience before he takes over permanently. JJ moves to lock with RFM moving back to the left and Martin coming into the team.

01. Will Hopoate
02. Nick Meaney
03. Corey Harawira-Naera
04. Kerrod Holland
05. Reimis Smith
06. Kieran Foran
07. Lachlan Lewis
08. Aiden Tolman
09. Michael Lichaa
10. Dylan Napa
11. Rhyse Martin (k)
12. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
13. Josh Jackson (c)

14. Jack Cogger
15. Adam Elliott
16. Danny Fualalo
17. Ofahiki Ogden
It's a good plan but for mine foran should not be getting to many chances before he becomes the most expensive reserve grade play ever. Would rather see tgem working towards developing players if our "marquee" player is usless

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Far too early to make drastic changes, the 17 picked were the obvious choices as a result of their preseason. training, attitude etc. One bad game doesn't change that. Last weekend was an ambush from the kickoff, the Warriors came out on fire and we never really got into any rhythm, were starved early of decent possession, some games are just like that. This weekend we can't afford another slow start especially in the forwards, so I'd have CHN in the run on, he was impressive when he came on and needs to help make an impact early. For the same reason I'd shorten up Napa's first stint, tell him to go hard, real hard, for 10 to 15 minutes. I'd play RFM off the bench, he wasn't terrible but took too long to get into the game, not starting will help with that. The good old softening up period, hit 'em hard for 15 to 20 mins.

In the backs I'd also like to swap Montoya and Holland, that way inside the 30m Montoya can move onto the wing to replace Crichton for catching height in defence. In comparison a Holland Crichton swap doesn't gain much height or reach. Plus Holland seemed to miss having Smith outside him. The Hopoate, Holland, Smith RHS triumverant was very effective at the end of last season and is worth reinstalling.

Go Dogs

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Umm mate if you have ever been to NZ you would understand

1. the whole country was in lock down for 18 hours they thought this was a nationwide plague..

2. Nz population is around 3.2 million SYDNEY is around 7 to give context so they all feel it..

3. Sonny bill was on his way to present jumpers to new players and rookies pulled out at the last second due to his mental state..

4. If you can’t understand how senseless murder of men women and children inside a place of worship would affect someone then I truly feel sorry for you, there is a lot more to life than footy and you need guidance.

I’m simply saying Meaney is too classy to put in reserves he is not better than hoppa right now but he will be long term... I remember storm fans crying when matt Guyer who was going well was moved to the wing for a young bloke called Billy slater had a shocking first game average next 6-8 and then....

Montoya on his best day is a winger
Lichaa continues to struggle

Cogger is quality
Meaney is quality
Chris Smith is quality

They need to be in the 17
I have been to NZ.

If you are saying that the Warriors played well on the back of emotion that is one thing. But that's not what you're saying. You're saying we played badly because of it which is a cop out.

Anyway as you say there should be some changes next week. Rhyse Martin should walk straight back into a starting pack that looks overwhelmingly soft. Hoppa would not have played as bad as Montoya or Holland in the centres so that idea should be given considerable thought.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Move Holland back to the right to give us that Smith-Holland combo that worked so well last year. Bring in CHN into centre for his defense. Hopoate and Meaney to switch in the game to give Meaney experience before he takes over permanently. JJ moves to lock with RFM moving back to the left and Martin coming into the team.

01. Will Hopoate
02. Nick Meaney
03. Corey Harawira-Naera
04. Kerrod Holland
05. Reimis Smith
06. Kieran Foran
07. Lachlan Lewis
08. Aiden Tolman
09. Michael Lichaa
10. Dylan Napa
11. Rhyse Martin (k)
12. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
13. Josh Jackson (c)

14. Jack Cogger
15. Adam Elliott
16. Danny Fualalo
17. Ofahiki Ogden
Good side, but here are my tweaks. Holland should get a chance to partner with R. Smith.

01. Nick Meaney
02. Chrichton
03. Hoppa
04. Kerrod Holland
05. Reimis Smith
06. Kieran Foran
07. Lachlan Lewis
08. Aiden Tolman
09. JMK
10. Dylan Napa
11. Rhyse Martin (k)
12. CHN
13. Josh Jackson (c)

14. Sue
15. RFM
16. Danny Fualalo or some other #largeforward
17. Ofahiki Ogden or some other #largeforward

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are actually wasting our time with the changes we need to make! There’s about 7 players in our side who are not first graders.

We got no one to replace them with. We have the worst roster in the NRL. I can’t remember the last time we had a crap roster like this one. Maybe the end of 2008 when we had Warburton, Youngquest, Joe Williams, Winitana, Heka Nani, Fred Briggs etc
THIS is all that needed to be said. Now end this thread. Spot on. You CAN NOT tell me we are playing by the same rules as Roosters Broncos Souths Saints Cronulla etc... it’s just BULLSHIT and our club is copping it hard

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
THIS is all that needed to be said. Now end this thread. Spot on. You CAN NOT tell me we are playing by the same rules as Roosters Broncos Souths Saints Cronulla etc... it’s just BULLSHIT and our club is copping it hard
No our club has to catch up to the others. Its obvious you can bend the rules with the cap and we aren’t doing it. Nice guys finish last and we need to explore every loophole possible. Pointing the finger and whinging about it does nothing we have to be better then they are exploiting the rules.

Doomsdaydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No our club has to catch up to the others. Its obvious you can bend the rules with the cap and we aren’t doing it. Nice guys finish last and we need to explore every loophole possible. Pointing the finger and whinging about it does nothing we have to be better then they are exploiting the rules.
Absofuckenlutely

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nothing is certain with our team these days ...
But this could be worth a shot !!!
1. Hopoate
2. Crichton
3. Holland
4. CHN...he would be a better center then all our centers and could combine well with Crichton .
5. Smith
6. Lewis...he isn't a halfback .
7. Foran...should be in control at halfback, needs an early ball .

8. Tolman
9. :anguished:?>:( ? >:(?...A problem with no solution !!!
10. Fualalo...can provide the go forward that is lacking .

11. Jackson
12 RFM...his defence could save him, needs to do more in attack.
13. Napa...not a meter-eater but can be very effective as a running lock .
14. Cogger...utility.

15. Elliot
16. Sue
17. Any of the big Big PROPS for impact !!!

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don't understand qhy people dont have Meany in their team. We are SHIT regardless... we wont make it out of the bottom 3. We have Meany for a few years. FUCK IT BLOOD HIM AND HARPER AND WHOEVER THE FUCK ELSE SO IN 2020 OR 2021 WE CAN AT LEAST COMPETE.

1. Meany
2. Crighton
3. Smith (or hoppa)
4. Harper
5. Hoppa (or smith)
6. Lewis
7. Foran (Cogger when foran breaks)
8. Napa
9. JML (fml)
10. Fualalo
11. Jackson
12. RFM
13. Tolman

14. Odgen
15. Elliot
16. CHN
17. Sue

And yes. I know i have changed the team 100000 times. Thank f**k I'm not coach. Just a frustrated fan.

Last edited:

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't understand qhy people dont have Meany in their team. We are SHIT regardless... we wont make it out of the bottom 3. We have Meany for a few years. FUCK IT BLOOD HIM AND HARPER AND WHOEVER THE FUCK ELSE SO IN 2020 OR 2021 WE CAN AT LEAST COMPETE
100% correct .. there is 0 benefit for keeping hoppa in FB if we are looking to the future

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't understand qhy people dont have Meany in their team. We are SHIT regardless... we wont make it out of the bottom 3. We have Meany for a few years. FUCK IT BLOOD HIM AND HARPER AND WHOEVER THE FUCK ELSE SO IN 2020 OR 2021 WE CAN AT LEAST COMPETE.
The risk with promoting someone who isn't ready is that they loose confidence and in a fullback confidence is everything. The other risk is injury, for someone without the physical stamina to withstand the pounding they get week in and week out is that they will get injury after injury which eventually turns long term. It's ever so easy to look at their playing ability but ignore the other attributes that are mandatory in a long term NRL player. That's why plenty (me included) don't want Meaney promoted before his time. It's up to the coaching staff to decide when the time is right, they have a far better idea on that they we ever will.

Go Dogs

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The risk with promoting someone who isn't ready is that they loose confidence and in a fullback confidence is everything. The other risk is injury, for someone without the physical stamina to withstand the pounding they get week in and week out is that they will get injury after injury which eventually turns long term. It's ever so easy to look at their playing ability but ignore the other attributes that are mandatory in a long term NRL player. That's why plenty (me included) don't want Meaney promoted before his time. It's up to the coaching staff to decide when the time is right, they have a far better idea on that they we ever will.

Go Dogs
What do we have to lose?

He sinks or swims. If he swims, awesome. If he sinks, plan for a future without him. no better position than we are now.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

Go Dogs
How many games did Newcastle give him. It's not as though he hasn't played fg. Plenty of teams give players a chance way before we do...and they're not as desperate as us either :grinning:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
What do we have to lose?
He sinks or swims. If he swims, awesome. If he sinks, plan for a future without him. no better position than we are now.
Hopoate isn't sinking and there is very little risk of that happening any time soon. Why take the risk, the downside is huge and the upside is unknown. There are plenty of other positions that are in far more need of "fixing" than fullback. Let's puts the effort/risk where there is the most potential for reward.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
How many games did Newcastle give him. It's not as though he hasn't played fg. Plenty of teams give players a chance way before we do...and they're not as desperate as us either :grinning:
From memory 5 games while Ponga was injured, then straight back to ISP.

I don't think we are desperate, after 1 game, that's far too early to make a swap for a player that was arguably our best. Whereas there were plenty more that are far more deserving of criticism. It's easy identify Meaney to be promoted as he is almost ready and a bright prospect, but there's not a lot of gain in swapping him with Hopoate. I'm fairly confidence that I'm not the only one who believes that he would have made zero difference in game 1.

Go Dogs

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Foran is a disaster.

Worst signing this club has ever made.

Came out firing in the first 15min, than blew his gasket.

His body was finished 2 seasons ago. To all the Foran lovers, if you cannot see that his body was finished a long time ago, the best psychiatrists in the country cannot help you
Almost as bad as the Trex signing. Also stops Lewis from taking control like he did late last year...

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Almost as bad as the Trex signing. Also stops Lewis from taking control like he did late last year...
Trex was another atrocious signing. At this stage id rather have williams in the halves than foran. From memory williams best game for the dogs was in the halves.

Now that u mention williams, what a bloody wasted talent. Imagine Corey Thompsons heart in a trex body

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saddler cant even get a game in reserve grade he is playing park football he isn't going to be a meter eater.
Give the kid a break! He’s 20 FFS He’s returning from offseason minor knee surgery (meniscal tear)late November

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Also stops Lewis from taking control like he did late last year...
How exactly does Foran stop Lewis from "taking control"?
Having watched the pre season trial game several times and game 1 twice, (it was hard work) I didn't see any indication that Foran was handicapping Lewis one iota. In fact exactly the opposite, he was encouraging him.

Go Dogs