Bulldogs can't sign high-priced recruits for three years: CEO

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did anyone watch controversy corner, phil the drunk Rothfield was talking about how our team on paper looks like a $6.5m team not $9.5m and compared to other teams I kinda agree with him tho, then interestingly Graham Hughes said something along the lines, that It was always the plan and that the People in charge at Canterbury always planed this and that he thinks the dogs will be in the market to sign Quality players at the end of this year.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
If we did have the money to spend, why not front end some contracts to free up more cap space next year and beyond? We would then have a bigger war chest. Thoughts?

WestBeast

Peyow Peyow
Reaction score
i would rather wait and have 2 average years with a war chest to buy a top flight player rather than buy a few decent players who dont have as much impact. its not like we are lacking in cheap positions, we need a top half, top hooker and atleast 1 gun centre to get back towards the top. Those positions arent cheap and are also in high demand from all clubs meaning without paying big money chances are you wont land who you want. things arent going to be great for a little while but the work that has already been done by the new board is definately a step in the right direction
You not going to attract anyone with subpar efforts like Saturday , we are back to square 1 with having to pay overs to get anyone to sign with the club , just like the Pennis , Stagg , Hannant and Hodko days , the dogs are not an attractive landing spot these days , we just have to hope to find some 2nd/3rd tier talent that develops out of sight , it’s a sad reality

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You not going to attract anyone with subpar efforts like Saturday , we are back to square 1 with having to pay overs to get anyone to sign with the club , just like the Pennis , Stagg , Hannant and Hodko days , the dogs are not an attractive landing spot these days , we just have to hope to find some 2nd/3rd tier talent that develops out of sight , it’s a sad reality
Well maybe we shouldn’t have pushed away talented players when we had them. Cook and Finucane have been done to death but they would have made a difference out there.
Lane was immense yesterday and has always had that ability. We also pushed out Herman Ese’ese. Sometimes you just need to keep the good players you have it’s not just about signings. Btw I’m aware we got RFM when we lost Lane but should have kept both

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
newcastle were 100x worse than what we are and they have since managed to land ponga, klemmer, pearce, moga, ramien ect, any of those players would make it in our starting side. Once you land one decent player there is every chance you can turn it around and sign more quality. You only have to look back at 2009 to see that its possible

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
With all that happened in Christchurch, the Warriors were totally revved up.
We didnt play well, thats for sure, but the mindset of the players wasnt right due to that happening.. It will improve.
Watch out Parramatta.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't get it if if these teams storm broncos roosters clubs with money can stay under the cap and keep players how the fuck are we so fucked atm.
The reason that these other clubs can get away with it is simple-
UNTRACEABLE CASH - and I know that happens as fact

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we did have the money to spend, why not front end some contracts to free up more cap space next year and beyond? We would then have a bigger war chest. Thoughts?
i'm pretty sure our 2019 cap is pretty maxed out, 2020 we have some room and 2021 we could probably offer anyone anything

its important to not go nuts, we already worsened the situation by signing napa is a long term deal on overs

go hard for the right players not any player.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Did anyone watch controversy corner, phil the drunk Rothfield was talking about how our team on paper looks like a $6.5m team not $9.5m and compared to other teams I kinda agree with him tho, then interestingly Graham Hughes said something along the lines, that It was always the plan and that the People in charge at Canterbury always planed this and that he thinks the dogs will be in the market to sign Quality players at the end of this year.
I was talking footy with a mate last night (Cronulla fan) and I pointed out that the reason I know there's atleast 4 clubs cheating the cap is that you look at the top 30. There are some certain clubs and their top 30 is filled with marquee players and then you look at say ours and see what the real salary cap can buy you...………….massive fukin difference and it's night and day!

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why do so so few people see it this way? God, let's wait at least to see how the boys react to the loss next week?
The reaction this week is far more important than the result last week and only then should we be casting full judgement .. I'm not excusing a terrible disgusting performance, however the attitude of the players after a setback says a lot about their character..

DoggyJu

Waterboy
Reaction score
I was talking footy with a mate last night (Cronulla fan) and I pointed out that the reason I know there's atleast 4 clubs cheating the cap is that you look at the top 30. There are some certain clubs and their top 30 is filled with marquee players and then you look at say ours and see what the real salary cap can buy you...………….massive fukin difference and it's night and day!
We have Foran on over a mill a season. Dumb cap management....

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Look where Newcastle were after Bennet left.

That’s where we are now.

Look how long it took them to get a decent team (this year).

I’m telling you guys we are fucked for a while.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
We have Foran on over a mill a season. Dumb cap management....
Yes BUT if he was healthy then that price would be about right. My point is, that some clubs have about 4-5 players on that price mark or near abouts and then the rest would command about 400-500k per year. The maths will never add up??? Look at a certain club in SE Qld, they can do the above plus keep signing these next great players that are 17-18 who have never played a FG yet knock back 300k contracts from other clubs??

It's a catch twenty two. Success lures players to a club aswell BUT allowing a club/s to continuedly cheat the cap allows them to be more successful therfor locking the clubs who aren't allowed too always on the second rung...

Last edited:

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes BUT if he was healthy then that price would be about right. My point is, that some clubs have about 4-5 players on that price mark or near abouts and then the rest would command about 400-500k per year. The maths will never add up??? Look at a certain club in SE Qld, they can do the above plus keep signing these next great players that are 17-18 who have never played a FG yet knock back 300k contracts from other clubs??

It's a catch twenty two. Success lures players to a club aswell BUT allowing a club/s to continuedly cheat the cap allows them to be more successful therfor locking the clubs who aren't allowed too always on the second rung...
Problem is that Foran is literally killing us. Taking up a marquee spot and playing like a marginal first grader. If only we had signed Tedesco instead. We were after all 4 of the Tigers players at one stage. Still can’t believe out of all of them we signed the prop........

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

The Broncos haven't won a premiership since 2006. Not so sure that's much of a "success" lure.

Go Dogs

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problem is that Foran is literally killing us. Taking up a marquee spot and playing like a marginal first grader. If only we had signed Tedesco instead. We were after all 4 of the Tigers players at one stage. Still can’t believe out of all of them we signed the prop........
I am thankful we only signed 1. The cap would have been stuffed even further if we signed all of them.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I am thankful we only signed 1. The cap would have been stuffed even further if we signed all of them.
Remember when Raelene and Des wanted to sign the Matautia bros but they knocked us back? Pheww..

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't get it if if these teams storm broncos roosters clubs with money can stay under the cap and keep players how the fuck are we so fucked atm.
Simple ... TPAs that are supposed to be independent of those clubs.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
People need to stop making excuses

Warriors beat us because we played like shit ....the CHCH tragedy that usually has the opposite effect to teams ie Lance Thompson

We put the cleaners through the Dragons few days later

We were shit end of story

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Wouldn't be a bad idea to look at the Super League for a player or two, given our situation.. Graham was a good servant for us, the Burgess boys are still killing it, Raiders have 3-4 guns in their FG squad.
Bang on!
I don't buy the "they aren't that good, they just play in an inferior competition".
I really like Warrington back rower Ben Currie.... fuck Elliot, Martin and Mariner. I want to have a back row of;
11. CHN
12. Currie
13. Jackson
As for props, Walmsley and Thompson from St.Helens are excellent.