Pay's Pets

Isaac

Kennel Established
Reaction score
After today's embarrassing display the feel good vibe of the preseason is well and truly gone...

Pay has built the squad he wants and it scared me all along that the club let him have so much of a say in the construction of the roster when no one knows if Pay is the long term coach or not..

Either way, Des was rightly roasted for persisting with certain players despite their lack of form and talent and Pay has proven to do the same with:

Lichaa
Marshall-King
Montoya
Elliott

The first three aren't first grade standard at all and it's pathetic that we haven't addressed the hooker situation.

Pay will be on thin ice if they have a few more performances like this. What do the people that wanted to re-sign him before the season think now?
The back 5 needs attention now. Who is the xfactor????????????????? Who????? Name please Dean Pay? I’m sure someone in the top 30 can do it???

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don’t think Lichaa and JMK are pay’s pets. I think they’re a sad reminder of our lack of ability and options in that position.
Montoya, on the other hand, must have photos of pay in a passionate embrace with George Pell and some altar boys, to still be getting picked.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I watched the Canterbury Cup and Jesse Marschke looked a cut above Lichaa. Nice direct crisp passing and good acceleration out of dummy half....only problem is he is unproven in top grade and isn't in our top 30 nor development meaning no first grade opportunity for him. We are stuck with what we have....

TOP 30:
Adam Elliott, Aiden Tolman, Brandon Wakeham, Chris Smith, Christian Crichton, Corey Harawira-Naera, Danny Fualalo, Dylan Napa, Fa'amanu Brown, Francis Tualau, Jack Cogger, Jayden Okunbor, Jeremy Marshall-King, John Olive, Josh Jackson, Kerrod Holland, Kieran Foran, Lachlan Lewis, Marcelo Montoya, Michael Lichaa, Nick Meaney, Ofahiki Ogden, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Reimis Smith, Renouf To'omaga, Rhyse Martin, Sauaso Sue, Will Hopoate, Zac Saddler

DEVELOPMENT PLAYERS:
Tui Katoa, Morgan Harper, James Roumanos, Jarred Anderson
How the f**** is that squad anywhere near the cap

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The back 5 needs attention now. Who is the xfactor????????????????? Who????? Name please Dean Pay? I’m sure someone in the top 30 can do it???
Smith does for sure and Holland has spark even though long term he isn't the answer. I don't know why he split the two of them up when they had such a good combination last year.

Hopefully Harper gets a call up in another few weeks. They shouldn't blood him just yet if they're getting belted like this though.

Valley Viking

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I watched the Canterbury Cup and Jesse Marschke looked a cut above Lichaa. Nice direct crisp passing and good acceleration out of dummy half....only problem is he is unproven in top grade and isn't in our top 30 nor development meaning no first grade opportunity for him. We are stuck with what we have....

TOP 30:
Adam Elliott, Aiden Tolman, Brandon Wakeham, Chris Smith, Christian Crichton, Corey Harawira-Naera, Danny Fualalo, Dylan Napa, Fa'amanu Brown, Francis Tualau, Jack Cogger, Jayden Okunbor, Jeremy Marshall-King, John Olive, Josh Jackson, Kerrod Holland, Kieran Foran, Lachlan Lewis, Marcelo Montoya, Michael Lichaa, Nick Meaney, Ofahiki Ogden, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, Reimis Smith, Renouf To'omaga, Rhyse Martin, Sauaso Sue, Will Hopoate, Zac Saddler

DEVELOPMENT PLAYERS:
Tui Katoa, Morgan Harper, James Roumanos, Jarred Anderson
Morgan Harper is now in the top 30, so we have one development spot left. Maybe they should give this young Marcheke a go or fuck it and give Ryan Gray a go.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
we were the top team in the last 5 games of the season last year with an inferior squad.

so it is not like the cattle is not there to be not competitive like today.
Nah bro. Both Morris boys played a major part in the last 6 games last year. The thing with the Morris boys is they would score some tries but also stop about 5 tries being scored against us. They were getting old, but they were extreme quality first graders.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I honestly don’t think he’d know what to do with it if he did. He rolls the dice on fringe first graders unwanted by their previous clubs. Look at all of his signings:

C.Smith - decent
JMK - wtf
Crichton - wtf
Napa - good
CHN - good
Sue - undecided
John Olive - I don’t know what to say
Clay priest - wtf
Meaney - wtf
Cogger - wtf

Not a good strike rate here my friend...

If I give you $500 dollars to go buy a few pairs of jeans I guarantee you won’t be coming back with designer label clothing..

You will come back with the best you can with the amount I give you.

If pay was at the roosters I doubt he would have signed the players you just named.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nah bro. Both Morris boys played a major part in the last 6 games last year. The thing with the Morris boys is they would score some tries but also stop about 5 tries being scored against us. They were getting old, but they were extreme quality first graders.

I agree Brett still had it but josh had to go

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I give you $500 dollars to go buy a few pairs of jeans I guarantee you won’t be coming back with designer label clothing..

You will come back with the best you can with the amount I give you.

If pay was at the roosters I doubt he would have signed the players you just named.
I disagree. Plenty of good young talent. We just didn’t buy any.

aymz maz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If we come out with the same attitude against parra We’re copping it. They weren’t that good but fuck me at least they’ve got heart.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The magnitude of that R1 flogging highlights the quality of our current roster. How many players would make the top 17 of any other side in the comp? Jackson, CWH & Smith .. the rest are pretty much Super league material. Napa's debut for us was underwhelming to say the least. Lewis was left posted by Foran and his forwards so I would cut him some slack but the rest are just injury backup at best. Round 2 we play last year's spooners so the ball is firmly in the players court to turn it around ... and as you can see i am not even remotely confident we can pull a win based on the effort in R1.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I dont believe in a rebuild job that involves focusing on recruiting/playing unproven inexperienced players..

The word rebuild insinuates building somthing.. you can only build somthing on solid foundations which means we need to focus building a squad on experienced consistent proven players.. not kids

But the club & coaching staff has its own strategy, i hope it works but ive seen nothing yet to give me huge confidence ..

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I'm hopeful that we got our worst game out of the way for the year. I wasn't able to watch it so I can't comment on individual performances. But from what I've read Lichaa dished up more of the same which is like putting a brick under the accelerator of our forward pack. If they get hammered by a fast moving defensive line when attacking to start the match it's a huge legup to the opposition. I'm hopeful he sees little NRL time this year.

The Warriors had a pretty strong backline to work with. It doesn't excuse poor defence. But getting steamrolled through the middle won't have helped them. We have to sort out the play the ball asap and if that means dropping Lichaa I'm hopeful it happens before the forwards lose all heart.

As far as I'm concerned the forward pack hasn't gone backwards in quality. But our backline is going to miss the mozzes. As much as people think they're long in the tooth, they still offered stability and experience. We didn't have the money in the kitty to splash on quality replacements. But with some shuffling I hope we get it right soon. I rate Meaney as a genuine prospect. Hoppa is probably a better centre at this stage than Montoya. Not writing Montoya off completely, but he was down on confidence last year and it might've been an injustice to hope he'd pick any up for the first game without some football under his belt.

I'm not sure what the answer is. But I'd start with getting our forwards rolling by finding a solution at #9. Take that brick out from under the accelerator and we might get on the front foot with the forwards. JMK mightn't be creative, but if he's at least decisive let him start or promote someone else. Coffee has a footy brain and organisational skills. Maybe he's the answer even if he's lacking a bit in defence.

As far as it goes with Pay. I wasn't confident that he was the answer. But it's his future on the line if he's not able to get the team firing. So I doubt he'll play favourites if players don't perform. The club will be looking to go on the front foot with recruitment. So I think Pay will have a timeline by which the front office will expect significant results. If he's not up to scratch early on I expect someone else will be given the chance to improve the roster for next season.

We all knew that we have to climb out of a hole this year. It's not a pretty start, but the level of anger about it is fairly incomprehensible. Any big loss hurts. But it's a long season and as long as we don't repeat performances like this it's still immensely salvageable.

Thank god for such a sensible post. Common sense ain’t all that common and we’re all passionate Dogs guys & gals here, but geez there’s many muppets with crazy comments whose handles should be ‘Google’ (they know everything) - I guess that’s democracy. Thanks Alan79 for some smarts without a profanity littered brain explosion. Hope to see more of this sort of stuff as we get our house in order moving forward (which we will). Go Dogs.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Can tell your a Dib and Des fan. With what money was pay meant to be recruiting stars? And Foran gets a pass by you?? Give it up
if you had any brains you would have looked to your left and seen my avatar which says Sack Des. I was one of the most vocal on here for years calling for Des and Dibs head...

Pay is shit, Foran still has the skills but is surrounded by reserve graders...

DogzPride

Waterboy
Reaction score
Certainly not a good start to the season, a lot of weekness and players who need to be dropped. I just hope we pull our finger out for the game against parra this week.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I disagree. Plenty of good young talent. We just didn’t buy any.
I agree. The issue we have now is that we have to be very smart and courageous with how we recruit.

We used to attract players because of our strong roster, finals record, team culture and identity. A beacon for talented players wanting success.

Our culture has slowly dwindled away, our reputation has copped a battering, we Are losing more games than we win and it’s unlikely we will seriously contend in the finals for 3-5 years....

As a result, we need to adopt the Knights approach and take a chance on buying up on rising stars and one or two experienced guys in key positions.

This year, we should take every opportunity to blood some players.

Our Canterbury Cup team looks very good, they would seriously give our first grade side a run for their money!!

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Morgan Harper is now in the top 30, so we have one development spot left. Maybe they should give this young Marcheke a go or fuck it and give Ryan Gray a go.

You are correct, that we do; the nightmare king is not on that list and now you mention it I did read that Morgan was elevated to top squad . According to the list below we do only have three development players so maybe Marschke might get a jersey. Of the off contract boys we may see Lichaa and Olive go, perhaps Martin and Brown..I guess all that depends on money available and whether we can cover the current deficiencies in the squad with someone better.

Additions (players who weren't in 2018 top 30): Dylan Napa (Sydney Roosters), Jack Cogger (Newcastle Knights), Nick Meaney (Newcastle Knights), Christian Crichton (Penrith Panthers), Sauaso Sue (Wests Tigers), Corey Harawira-Naera (Penrith Panthers), Chris Smith (Sydney Roosters), Brandon Wakeham, Jayden Okunbor, Morgan Harper

Losses: David Klemmer (Newcastle Knights), Brett Morris (Sydney Roosters), Josh Morris (Cronulla Sharks), Matt Frawley (Huddersfield Giants), Asipeli Fine (unsigned), Clay Priest (unsigned), Greg Eastwood (Newtown Jets)

Re-signed: Raymond Faitala-Mariner (2020), Lachlan Lewis (2020), Jeremy Marshall-King (2020), Rhyse Martin (2019), Reimis Smith (2020)

Off-contract beyond 2019: Fa'amanu Brown, Danny Fualalo, Morgan Harper, Tui Katoa, Michael Lichaa, Rhyse Martin, John Olive, Francis Tualau

Development players: Jarred Anderson, Tuipulotu Katoa, James Roumanos