Official Round 1 - Dogs vs Warriors - Consolidated Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Jon Stone is the ref, correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure he reffed our trial....

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
JMK is in on the bench as an insurance policy more than anything else. With HMA and stuff now it makes sense to carry a utility that can cover the halves, hooker and center if necessary. Having four forwards vs three on the bench isn't necessary either as our pack is mobile and fit and can play long minutes. Imagine if Lewis or Foran cops a head knock early and you have nothing but forwards on the bench.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
JMK is in on the bench as an insurance policy more than anything else. With HMA and stuff now it makes sense to carry a utility that can cover the halves, hooker and center if necessary. Having four forwards vs three on the bench isn't necessary either as our pack is mobile and fit and can play long minutes. Imagine if Lewis or Foran cops a head knock early and you have nothing but forwards on the bench.
Agree

JMK covets 1-7 and hooker and in this day and age no brainer.

Fualolo and Jesse obviously feed off each other and will cover the middle

CHN covers lock, back row and centre

Well balanced

Hoppa and his combination with our halves and outside backs is dynamite

I really think we will win well (I’ll take a point)

That’s probably the weakest looking Warriors side I have seen in years

Papalii stood down is a massive out (good for us)

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gees.... whinge city because Pay didn't pick everyones supercoach team.

Montoya went well in the trials.

See my link just posted above. Pay explains why. Not quite ready (same with Cogger).

Come along way in short space of time.

Only thing I can think is he isn't training well.

Pay mentions really tough but current back row are internationals (Jacko, RFM, CHN)... and that Rhyse should get a run during the year.
I don’t get all the fuss over Martin. The backrowers picked are all better options and there’s no need to carry two edge back rowers on the bench when rfm and Jackson are likely to play 80. JMK actually played well when he was at 9 last year as well.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I like the team and have zero complaints.

In regards to what people are already moaning about:

- Hoppa at FB: fair call. He killed it there in the back half of last year. Killed it there for Samoa. Killed it in the trial. Meaney still raw. Logical decision.

- Montoya at Centre: Showed promise last season when given the opportunity there and looked more defensively assured than on the wing. No one else pressing real claims. Olive looks a level below. Okunbor defensively unsound. Bit early for Harper.

- Martin ommission: I'm surprised this is being debated. All back rowers named ahead are superior. Holland more than capable with the boot. Martin was never gonna kick at >90% forever anyway.

- JMK on the bench: Should provide some spark. Definitely prefer this over Lichaa flapping around for the full 80. Provides stability in the composition of the team should a back line injury strike mid game. Hope he can develop this year and show consistency in his execution.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
We can outsmart them. Holland and hoppa are clever with the ball. Smith has got pace. Montoya tries hard. Crichton will add some starch to the start of our sets.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
My only hope for Pay is he doesn't turn out to be one of the "I'm picking a player because he trains really hard, even if he's shit during the game" coach!

It's great to have confidence in your players, but as we've all experienced with our previous coach - The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.
I'm sure that was one from Einstein. One of the all time great quotes.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t get all the fuss over Martin.
He did play well but I think some of the hype (more so from non Bulldogs fans) is a bit over the top. I think because he was such a Super Coach gun and barely missed a goal kick had a bit to do with it. Holland is a great goal kicker too, so we don't lose much there except as a backup option. Anyone remember Forans shocking goal kick attempt last year lol.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Well if i was the Warriors i would be bombing Crichtons wing all day and have my winger just jump over him...

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Montoya..... must have a sex tape of Dean Pay!? How he gets in the team I don’t know

Also looks like we’ll be going up in 4’s again this year with no Martin

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
OMG the season's over, finished, we are so totally screwed. FFS it's the Round 1 team, for 1 game, get over it. I see it as a good thing that there are multiple choices, valid choices, for a number of positions. Any slackers will quickly find their way down to 2nd's and readily replaced.
Get rid of the sponsors in the team list please
Absolutely we should credit the sponsors, they give us money to recruit players. There has been number of posts complaining about the lack of TPA's, any wonder when we can't even credit them on here, a Bulldogs centric forum. Unbelievable, we should be supporting those that support us at every opportunity.

1. Will Hopoate (Brought to you by Miramax)

2. Christian Crichton (Brought to you by Alexander Michael Advisory)

3. Kerrod Holland (Brought to you by M&J Chickens)

4. Marcelo Montoya (Brought to you by Reliable Food Distributors)

5. Reimis Smith (Brought to you by CPE)

6. Kieran Foran (Brought to you by Greenacre Dental)

7. Lachlan Lewis (Brought to you by Hy-Tec Concrete)

8. Aiden Tolman (Brought to you by Waterview)

9. Michael Lichaa (Brought to you by Ultimate Security Australia)

10. Dylan Napa (Brought to you by Sydney Freezers)

11. Josh Jackson (Brought to you by Dental on Evaline)

12. Raymond Faitala-Mariner (Brought to you by Guardian Venue Management)

13. Adam Elliott (Brought to you by McDonalds Punchbowl)

14. Jeremy Marshall-King (Brought to you by BSC)

15. Danny Fualalo (Brought to you by KIA Motors)

16. Corey Harawira-Naera (Brought to you by Canterbury League Club)

17. Sauaso Sue (Brought to you by Ladbrokes)

Go Dogs

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Like that game where we smashed the Dragons and Holland kicked 7 from 7 with half of the conversions from the sideline? Seems not many remember that or Hollands kicking in 2017
Yeah one good game, problem was he couldn’t do it consistently which is why we ended up with Mbye as kicker

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I like the team and have zero complaints.

In regards to what people are already moaning about:

- Hoppa at FB: fair call. He killed it there in the back half of last year. Killed it there for Samoa. Killed it in the trial. Meaney still raw. Logical decision.

- Montoya at Centre: Showed promise last season when given the opportunity there and looked more defensively assured than on the wing. No one else pressing real claims. Olive looks a level below. Okunbor defensively unsound. Bit early for Harper.

- Martin ommission: I'm surprised this is being debated. All back rowers named ahead are superior. Holland more than capable with the boot. Martin was never gonna kick at >90% forever anyway.

- JMK on the bench: Should provide some spark. Definitely prefer this over Lichaa flapping around for the full 80. Provides stability in the composition of the team should a back line injury strike mid game. Hope he can develop this year and show consistency in his execution.
Hoppa is Tongan

Status
Not open for further replies.