New Zealand Warriors v Canterbury Bulldogs preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Warriors promised so much during the season last year, flirting with a top four finish before having to settle for eighth spot.

They were knocked out in the first week of the finals and lost key players in the off-season, but the feeling in the club is one of optimism.

The Warriors were impressive in a trial win over the Tigers and coach Stephen Kearney will be banking on a similarly wholehearted effort against the Bulldogs.

The Doggies were one of three teams to lose 16 of 24 games last season and were playing catch-up all year after a bad opening month.

Coach Dean Pay will be hoping for a much more promising start in 2019.

The Rundown
Key match-up
Strange as it may seem, the Bulldogs have a potential edge in the halves with Kieran Foran and Lachlan Lewis boasting more time on the field together than Blake Green and Adam Keighran. Former Wyong Roos playmaker Keighran acquitted himself well in the pre-season but Green will have to shoulder plenty of responsibility until Keighran adjusts to the weekly grind of the NRL.

For the Warriors to win

After years of simply trying to out-score opponents, the Warriors knuckled down defensively last year and were rewarded with a finals berth. Defence remains a big focus for Kearney and he will be asking for 80 minutes of concentration on Saturday.

For the Bulldogs to win

They bowed out of finals contention well before the end of the season but the Doggies never threw in the towel and deservedly claimed a few scalps toward the end of the season. That modest late-season success should've built confidence among the players and they need the same sort of committed effort against the Warriors.

And another thing
Not only did the Warriors lose start halfback Shaun Johnson to the Sharks, his very capable understudy Mason Lino joined the Knights, leaving the club thin on depth and experience at a crucial position. If Green is sidelined for an extended period, the Warriors might struggle.

Warriors Stat Attack

Winger David Fusitu'a had a wonderful strike rate last season, scoring 23 tries in 23 games. Ken Maumalo wasn't anywhere near as proficient, finishing the season with five tries in 23 matches. Fusitu'a and Maumalo scored two tries apiece in the trial win over the Tigers a fortnight ago.

Bulldogs Stat Attack

The Dogs are keeping the faith in Keiran Foran after a tough few seasons. Still only 28, Foran appeared in 28 games last year and had one try, a try assist and averaged 61.7 running metres per game.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/03/09/new-zealand-warriors-v-canterbury-bulldogs-preview/

I'm confident that we can beat them comfortably provided that we have a good start and not give away cheap penalties (Napa).

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Being from NZ and going for an Aussie team I get a lot of shit lol.. all my mates are warriors supporters (obviously) So when it’s game day an I’m in the blue& white surrounded by the black jerseys I LOVE it !! No better feeling than being the lone soldier.. with bragging rights at then end of the 80, seeing my boys heads in hands is fucking gold hahaha.!!

I’m pretty confident we will get them round 1, I think it’s the best time to play them as well. They too unpredictable the longer it goes on.

WE GOT THIS!!

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warriors are a wierd side , sometimes we make light work of them but other times they are good. I reckon we’ve got the win, I seriously think we got a point to prove and wouldn’t be surprised if we give them a flogging

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Will be interesting lineup. How I see it as below.

FULLBACK - WARRIORS
W: Roger Tuivasa Sheck is up there with the top fullbacks. No contest really.
B: Hoppa has been in fine form injecting himself in attack in recent times. Meaney has pace but lacks defence (and doesn't chime in as much), still too "green" in my opinion.

WING - WARRIORS
W: Maumalo on one side, Fusitua on the other. Both freakish players with pace who can find the line, and are safe in the air.
B: Assuming Reimis has one wing, that leaves most like Crichton as the other winger. Strong and powerful, but Crichton is 7cm shorter than Fusitua (Warriors shortest winger), and gives away 5-6kgs.

CENTRE - WARRIORS
W: Ayshford, Beale, Herbert, Hiku, Kata, Milne - Take your pick because there is definite talent there. I'm thinking they'll go Kata and Milne. But any of those others can slot in at wing need be.
B: Montoya, Hoppa (maybe), Holland. Not exactly confidence inspiring but can get the job done. Far outclassed though by Warriors.

BACKS SUMMARY - WARRIORS
Warriors backline has serious firepower (and decent depth), but without their halves clicking they won't get into the game. Bulldogs on the other hand have a capable backline, but it does not compare to the point scoring ability of the Warriors backs. Very interesting to see who gets named for us as quite a few options.
HALVES - BULLDOGS
W: Relying on Green and Keighran/Tavita-Harris. Neither Keighran or Tevita-Harris have debuted in NRL, so it'll be their first game. Expect nerves and playing almost with a single halves player all game.
B: Dogs have the edge with two capable halves. Despite Foran and Lewis never playing together, both are capable players who looked incredibly sharp in the trial game.

HALVES SUMMARY - BULLDOGS
With the Warriors halves combination so fresh, it's hard to imagine they'll hit the ground running with one debut player. Lewis and Foran remained a constant danger in the 40 minutes they played of the trial.

HOOKER - WARRIORS
W: Be it Issac Luke, Karl Lawton, or Nathaniel Roache, all three are currently better than anyone we have at the club in that position. Spark from dummy half might help their backs roll out of their own half and catch our defence napping.
B: JMK or Lichaa is like choosing to have your right or left leg amputated - the end result is one leg. For me JMK adds more speed and pace from dummy half. Lichaa keeps talking but is yet to deliver a dominant performance at hooker in a Dogs jersey.

SECOND ROW / LOCK - BULLDOGS
W: Tohu Harris and Adam Blair with Burr/Pulu off the bench isn't a bad lineup. Lots of experience starting there. If Burr plays he has an offload but also a penalty and mistake in him. Quite a few options at lock (Tevaga, Papali'i, Sao) with one of them maybe dropping back to bench role.
B: Like the Warriors Dogs have some real punch and experience in second row. Jackson, RFM, Elliott (likely lock), CHN, Martin and even possibly debuting Chris Smith off the bench. I'd almost lean towards a draw but Dogs seem to have more talent available.

PROPS - DRAW
W: Paasi, Ah Mau, Lisone, Afoa, Satae - With exception of Satae (191), all are under 190cm, and weighing in between 110 and 114kgs.
B: Compared to say Napa, Tolman, Tualau, Fualalo, and Ogden - With exception of Ogden (192) and Napa (198), all are under 190cm, and under 110kgs (except Napa at 113 and Fualalo at 115). Tolman 102kgs, Ogden and Tualau 106.

FORWARDS SUMMARY - DRAW
W: Equally matched at prop, but better hooker options could see their heavier yet shorter forwards get a roll on and help their outside backs.
B: Napa and Fualalo are tanks, and can do some damage, but are up against a big engine room from Warriors.

GAME SUMMARY
W: To win Warriors are going to need both new halves firing and getting ball to outside backs. Their forwards are able to get the job done off quality service from dummy half, likewise backs get them out of trouble with strong carries and decent dummy half service.
B: To win the Bulldogs need to hit the ground running. Cut down mistakes and errors, and hope that the service from dummy half is crisp and quick. This is key. Foran and Lewis will bring the Dogs backline more into the game, but they are up against a quality backline who can stop points as well as they score them.

PROBLEM PLAYERS
W: It'll be Keighran or Tevita-Harris in the halves.
B: It'll be at hooker.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If we dont win this it will be a big worry we should win this one

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
We need to start this season off on a roll and build some confidence. The first 3 games are definitely winnable. Warriors, Eels, Tigers.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't see how the warriors are so favoured in the betting. Yes they have RTS and Luke but they have unproven halves.

As everyone has said very important we start strong this year in the first 6 rounds.

Bring on the team lists.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Being from NZ and going for an Aussie team I get a lot of shit lol.. all my mates are warriors supporters (obviously) So when it’s game day an I’m in the blue& white surrounded by the black jerseys I LOVE it !! No better feeling than being the lone soldier.. with bragging rights at then end of the 80, seeing my boys heads in hands is fucking gold hahaha.!!

I’m pretty confident we will get them round 1, I think it’s the best time to play them as well. They too unpredictable the longer it goes on.

WE GOT THIS!!
you’re no lone soldier scoob, like they say “we a family”.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Wow. I'm impressed, but more accurately confused that this reporter thinks Foran played 28 games last year! LoI
I've noticed an obvious increase in errors in al types of online news articles in recent times. It's like they don't proof read anything any more

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've noticed an obvious increase in errors in al types of online news articles in recent times. It's like they don't proof read anything any more
The online media has become a backyard operation since social media. No money in it so they just churn out the articles for click bait. Try reading a Daily Mail article. You’ll have convulsions trying to read it, and an anueryism trying to understand the purpose of it.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The Rundown
We beat them last year (by a field goal) without Foran and they had Johnson and Mannering. I think the Napa versus Klemmer swap should be neutral, with some gains and some losses, similarly CHN and Eastwood. To me the question is do we miss the Mozzies more than they miss Johnson and Mannering.

As for last year, without a few stinker refs calls we should have won by much more.

Go Dogs​

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Keighran is going to be some player, looked impressive during the trials, I will give them that

Status
Not open for further replies.