News The setback Lachlan Lewis hid from his wife for eight months

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lachlan Lewis has, in the space of just a few short months, made his first-grade debut, earned a new contract, got married, learned he would become a dad, started a new business and starred in the NRL’s new advertising campaign.

“Life is as good as it can get,” said the Canterbury playmaker.

However, things weren’t so rosy 12 months ago. In fact, it appeared his career was over before it had begun. Having shifted his life and his now wife from the nation’s capital to Belmore, he received news that was so devastating that he hid it from the missus. For eight whole months.

“I got tapped on the shoulder at the end of 2017, was told, ‘You’re not in the top 30, you can go to another club to get a shot, you won’t be able to play first grade’,” Lewis said.

“That’s something I didn’t even tell my wife about for eight months because it hurts.

“I didn’t even tell her that conversation had happened because you’re locked into a contract and had just made the big move here.

“It was a big internal struggle.”

Lewis suffered in silence, knowing he was good enough to make the Canterbury team but couldn’t because he wasn’t a member of the top-30 squad. Eventually, he got the requisite promotion and showed enough in nine games to suggest he is one of the rising stars of the NRL.

Things have been a blur since. The 22-year-old married Stephanie in October and they started a babywear business, Parker & Co, just as they were expecting a bub of their own in May.

While nothing can prepare him for parenthood, Lewis is a voracious reader of personal finance and entrepreneurial books to ensure his business venture is a success. The reading list includes the likes of Robert Kiyosaki, Gary Vaynerchuk and even Donald Trump.

“I’m a curious learner, I’m on the edge to develop myself and learn things,” he said.

“That translates to footy extremely well, I’m always pushing myself and not settling.”

Lewis began the season in NSW Cup on a deal worth about a 10th of what elite playmakers can command. He finished it with the moniker ‘Prince of Belmore’, a nod to his uncle ‘King’ Wally Lewis.

Having made a name in his own right, Lewis needs to quickly gel with injury-prone halves partner Kieran Foran if the Bulldogs are to be a contender this season. The pair have not yet played together at NRL level, but Lewis believes they can become something special.

“Kieran is training harder than I am, is fitter than I am, is stronger than I am,” Lewis said.

“We’ll look back at the end of the year to say how good a season it’s been.

“Having Kieran alongside me in the halves is going to be dynamite.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...is-wife-for-eight-months-20190309-p512zq.html

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The question is who tapped him on the shoulder, I'd love to know.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
“Kieran is training harder than I am
Well train harder then matey!

Sounds like he's confident of being in the firsts which is what I want to hear. Love his belief, but it's time to stop talking now.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lachlan Lewis has, in the space of just a few short months, made his first-grade debut, earned a new contract, got married, learned he would become a dad, started a new business and starred in the NRL’s new advertising campaign.

“Life is as good as it can get,” said the Canterbury playmaker.

However, things weren’t so rosy 12 months ago. In fact, it appeared his career was over before it had begun. Having shifted his life and his now wife from the nation’s capital to Belmore, he received news that was so devastating that he hid it from the missus. For eight whole months.

“I got tapped on the shoulder at the end of 2017, was told, ‘You’re not in the top 30, you can go to another club to get a shot, you won’t be able to play first grade’,” Lewis said.

“That’s something I didn’t even tell my wife about for eight months because it hurts.

“I didn’t even tell her that conversation had happened because you’re locked into a contract and had just made the big move here.

“It was a big internal struggle.”

Lewis suffered in silence, knowing he was good enough to make the Canterbury team but couldn’t because he wasn’t a member of the top-30 squad. Eventually, he got the requisite promotion and showed enough in nine games to suggest he is one of the rising stars of the NRL.

Things have been a blur since. The 22-year-old married Stephanie in October and they started a babywear business, Parker & Co, just as they were expecting a bub of their own in May.

While nothing can prepare him for parenthood, Lewis is a voracious reader of personal finance and entrepreneurial books to ensure his business venture is a success. The reading list includes the likes of Robert Kiyosaki, Gary Vaynerchuk and even Donald Trump.

“I’m a curious learner, I’m on the edge to develop myself and learn things,” he said.

“That translates to footy extremely well, I’m always pushing myself and not settling.”

Lewis began the season in NSW Cup on a deal worth about a 10th of what elite playmakers can command. He finished it with the moniker ‘Prince of Belmore’, a nod to his uncle ‘King’ Wally Lewis.

Having made a name in his own right, Lewis needs to quickly gel with injury-prone halves partner Kieran Foran if the Bulldogs are to be a contender this season. The pair have not yet played together at NRL level, but Lewis believes they can become something special.

“Kieran is training harder than I am, is fitter than I am, is stronger than I am,” Lewis said.

“We’ll look back at the end of the year to say how good a season it’s been.

“Having Kieran alongside me in the halves is going to be dynamite.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...is-wife-for-eight-months-20190309-p512zq.html
I really hope he kicks on and becomes something special and stays loyal with us and becomes a 1 club player, we really need a super star especially in the half’s someone like say a Thurston Cronk even tho they both weren’t 1 club players. We need a 10 year player in the half’s.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good chance it was Pay seeing as he would have seen a lot of him at Canberra and he was playing centre this time last year.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The article mentioned it was end of 2017. Could have been anyone.

With the signing of Woods and Foran, I’d say the top 30 was full or almost full.

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tap, tap, tap. Intense nose whistling and wheezing. Look mate I know talent when I see it and you're not it. I have a gun half in Mathew Frawley, you'd best pack your bags.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lol obviously Pay made the decision to not have him part of that top 30 squad. The scary part is he then went on to bring in JMK instead of Lewis!

This is something that can't be ignored. I dont think Pay has a good eye for talent to be honest. Especially considering Pay knew what Lewis was about at Canberra.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good chance it was Pay seeing as he would have seen a lot of him at Canberra and he was playing centre this time last year.
That's what worries me tbh. His talent wasn't identified by those at the club and he only got his chance because of circumstance, Mbye leaving and Foran being injured. Otherwise they had Frawley ahead of him.

Tap, tap, tap. Intense nose whistling and wheezing. Look mate I know talent when I see it and you're not it. I have a gun half in Mathew Frawley, you'd best pack your bags.
As much as I'd love to blame Hasbeen I don't get the feeling it was him.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's what worries me tbh. His talent wasn't identified by those at the club and he only got his chance because of circumstance, Mbye leaving and Foran being injured. Otherwise they had Frawley ahead of him.

As much as I'd love to blame Hasbeen I don't get the feeling it was him.
Yeh, they even signed cogger

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thurston also got a tap on the shoulder. Sometimes it isn't to tell them they aren't good enough. It may just be that they thought he'd take longer to get to the required level and to say if he's able to get a chance elsewhere, they won't stand in his way. Folkes advised O'meley to take the big money from the chooks and countless other decisions we don't like have been made over the years. Don't question all of them. Just be thankful that Lewis didn't get a good offer elsewhere. 15 other clubs also failed to recruit and rush him into an NRL team.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol obviously Pay made the decision to not have him part of that top 30 squad. The scary part is he then went on to bring in JMK instead of Lewis!

This is something that can't be ignored. I dont think Pay has a good eye for talent to be honest. Especially considering Pay knew what Lewis was about at Canberra.
Or..................Lewis has just taken the challenge on board, put in the hard work, and then risen to acompletely new level!!!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thurston also got a tap on the shoulder. Sometimes it isn't to tell them they aren't good enough. It may just be that they thought he'd take longer to get to the required level and to say if he's able to get a chance elsewhere, they won't stand in his way. Folkes advised O'meley to take the big money from the chooks and countless other decisions we don't like have been made over the years. Don't question all of them. Just be thankful that Lewis didn't get a good offer elsewhere. 15 other clubs also failed to recruit and rush him into an NRL team.
Very well put! 100% agree.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

Lewis is a much more complete player at NRL level than he was in the ISP... the effort was always there, but not always the polish... Plenty of the games legends have said themselves that Lewis wasn't a stand out in the ISP so I don't know why people continue to make negative comments about Pay over it.

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Probably every player that didn’t make the initial top 30 was told they could seek an opportunity to play first grade elsewhere if they could find one.

When I was lurking on the Kennel I don’t recall anyone mentioning Lewis at all until after he impressed in the trial against Penrith at Belmore in early ’18.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lewis is a much more complete player at NRL level than he was in the ISP... the effort was always there, but not always the polish... Plenty of the games legends have said themselves that Lewis wasn't a stand out in the ISP so I don't know why people continue to make negative comments about Pay over it.
Fair point. The real indicator will be the players he has recruited by choice, that will show if he has an eye for talent players like Meaney, Crichton, Cogger, I guess time will tell.

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Fair point. The real indicator will be the players he has recruited by choice, that will show if he has an eye for talent players like Meaney, Crichton, Cogger, I guess time will tell.
I suspect Cogger was bought for Foran’s benefit, to compliment Foran’s running game and to allow Foran to play a non-organising 6 role. Cogger should be judged on how he performs alongside Foran and how they go as a halves pairing. If it happens.