News Bulldogs poach esteemed wrestling coach on eve of NRL season

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Canterbury has poached respected wrestling coach Steve Babic from Canberra on the eve of the NRL season.

The Raiders confirmed to foxsports.com.auBabic has left the club, and it’s understood he has joined the Bulldogs immediately.

The move reunites the MMA expert with Dean Pay, who was assistant coach in Canberra before landing the top job at Belmore last year.

Babic worked at the Raiders for nine years and was one of Ricky Stuart’s most respected and important staff members

He was named the Clubman of the Year in 2015.

In 2017 he was credited by one Raiders player as a reason for the club’s late-season form revival, after he was unavailable for the first part of the year.

One of his closest friends at the Raiders is young gun winger Nick Cotric. They are cousins, and have been close for Cotric’s entire life.

Cotric will continue to speak regularly to Babic even though he is no longer working in the nation’s capital.

He says while Babic has helped with his rugby league defence, it’s his help away from football that Cotric treasures most.

“He does heaps (for me), on and off the field. Even off the field he’s always there for you, whenever you need a chat or you’re feeling down,” Cotric told foxsports.com.au this week.

“He’s a good mentor for me, he helps me out. I’m still young and he’s experienced a lot.

“I’d go to him straight away, he’s the first one I go to. I’m tight as with him, I get along with him well.

“He’s a good role model for me.”

It’s unknown whether Stuart plans to replace Babic on his staff at the Raiders.

Canberra has shaken up their coaching staff already this year, adding Andrew McFadden and Michael Ennis to the roster.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/8b5b783326e27f4dabbae83cfe677b0c

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well well well....

So cotric may be in the mighty blue in white jersey!! Sooner rather than later. This may just be a blessing in disguise..(everything happens for a reason) things are looking very bright for the future,Well done deano you good thing..!!!

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If he can help poach Cotric then he may potentially be one of the best signings in a while.
My thoughts exactly. I believe his contract ends 2020 which is right as our cap hell wraps up. Would be a fantastic addition in a position of need.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If he can help poach Cotric then he may potentially be one of the best signings in a while.
Wishful thinking but I'd be happier than Gotenks fantasizing about a night with "the goat" georgallis if true

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As for him being our wrestling coach, meh. I can't think of a time I've ever thought of the Raiders as being a good wrestling team (The wrestle sucks BTW).

Him being friends with Cotric is good though. Hopefully we can jag him.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
been my dream for ages now. he will be like 21 when hes off contract will be mad not to throw the kitchen sink at him, would be epic to have him become a 10 year player for us.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Raiders apparently conceded 22.50 points per game. How is anyone excited about this signing lol

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Raiders apparently conceded 22.50 points per game. How is anyone excited about this signing lol
I agree to some extent, but good wrestle doesn’t necessarily mean good defense.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think most of their trys would've been conceded around the edges with Leipana

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be a meh signing with the intention of launching a massive bid to get Cotric. Having his cousins here to speak about the club well may be a ploy to get him here.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Imagine that!! He brings citric over, and then we get Will to convince his brother Albert to come over and BAM !!!!!!! Premiership bitches!!!

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Is this wrestler guy close with Cotric? I’m just wondering where the connection between the MMA guy and Cotric is. Or are we just being hopeful?

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In all honesty I’ve never really heard of him,
But once again trust Pays judgement
Would have preferred
Ronnie miller
Mario Milano
Brutt Barnard
Some fair dinkum wrestling experts