News Beattie and Greenberg under threat if they mishandle De Belin incident. - UPDATE: P6 JDB Stood Down

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
can people stop comparing the NRL to regular jobs?
At the end of the day, if you were a school teacher and had allegations of sexual misconducted labeled against you by a pupil, you would get stood down until the investigation is over, same with police officers, same with any high profile person whether they are sport stars, tv presenters or actors and many many more other occupations.
I can not see why people are in a fit over him being stood down.. he still gets full pay, trains with the team, but does not play.
The NRL is protecting its brand. It had to do it.
the NRL players are more likely to be extorted out of this than a regular person (not saying that this is the case with de belin or walker). That is why I would like to wait for the court preceding. At this stage he is being punished for allegations, which i am not for

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How short some people's memories are. There are so many blinkered people who are adamant that a decision by police to prosecute is "no smoke without fire". Except of course, the clusterfuck that was Coffs Harbour, and many other cluster fucks by the police prosecutors.

There may well be a fire with De Belin. Who knows. But it doesn't mean we should get all revisionist. At this point, he is innocent, proclaimed his innocence, and has to be allowed his day in court.

The big problem for me is times have changed, and people's attitudes have not. Police have all sorts of obligations to prosecute sexual assault cases based only on the veracity of the complainants claims. I don't understand how most of us, especially men, don't understand this. Nor am I critical of this either. It's an evolution based on past occurrences where women were reluctant to proceed, and a supposed culture of coercion by men to "just drop it".

My point is, based on how the law around sexual assault complaints has evolved, defendants really need to be afforded their innocence until they have their day in court. The NRL position is tough, but they are pussing out here. They just have to accept the slings and arrows from the media, who are rabid and unable to accept due process of law.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The team is at a disadvantage - that's why. Hey if it was happening to a Bulldogs player we'd be doing the same thing.
I understand that.......... but, the player knows his profile, knows he is a target, he shouldn't put himself in a position like that in the first place.
Yes, its unfair, yes, it sucks... but, that is the nature of the NRL beast these days unfortunately.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
JDB was only stood down because he has been charged by police etc.

If he wasn't stood down & is found guilty, people would be in uproar.

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I understand that.......... but, the player knows his profile, knows he is a target, he shouldn't put himself in a position like that in the first place.
Yes, its unfair, yes, it sucks... but, that is the nature of the NRL beast these days unfortunately.
I really dislike this argument. That he shouldn't have put himself in this position... I agree somewhat that the players should tread very carefully in the public. But they are young men, and can't shut themselves in completely.

I don't know the specifics of JDB. But who knows if he even "put himself in this position". That needs to be established in court only.

But I have had a change of heart somewhat. You are right that if it was a teacher that has allegations made against them, they have to be stood down. Or other professions. At least JDB is still being paid, whilst stood down. But this won't protect the NRL should JDB be proved innocent.

I wish Hazem had gone in harder on the NRL after this one:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/wh...-return-as-an-ambassador-20160412-go4p98.html

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Well the shit's hit the fan. He's been stood down until the investigation is complete.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
He's got a lot of support on LU:

upload_2019-2-28_15-33-17.png

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
JDB was only stood down because he has been charged by police etc.

If he wasn't stood down & is found guilty, people would be in uproar.
yeah but people get outraged for misgendering

Reactions: K E

bulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Imagine if "Coffs" went down next year, but this time the investigating officers bowed to pressure from their superiors and laid charges.

Canis Maximus

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The fact that he is on full pay whilst he is stood down - is your presumption of innocence. If you thought he was guilty before day in court, then why would you pay him pending same? I would like to know if he is guilty - would NRL/Club take legal action to recover payments made during this time. I don't see it as him being disadvantaged as such.
As for possible extortion arguments - police need to investigate any allegation. Evidence must held and a big enough case must be had in order to press charges. DPP would not want the case thrown out on day 1. Besides, the person making the allegations can also be charged if she/he/they make false/misleading statements.

bulldog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Evidence must held and a big enough case must be had in order to press charges. DPP would not want the case thrown out on day 1. Besides, the person making the allegations can also be charged if she/he/they make false/misleading statements.
Evidence in the Coffs Harbour incident indicated the woman lied, yet senior officers still wanted the players charged. The woman that made the false reports against the Dogs players was never charged.

To say it can't happen is to ignore history.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Evidence in the Coffs Harbour incident indicated the woman lied, yet senior officers still wanted the players charged. The woman that made the false reports against the Dogs players was never charged.

To say it can't happen is to ignore history.
But none were ever charged.. so I'm guessing the senior officers that actually were involved in the investigation accepted there was insufficient evidence... ie not even enough evidence in a he said she said case that these offences generally are.

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
From SMH article:

Beattie said clubs who had players stood down would not automatically be granted salary cap relief but could apply for it. He said 15 of the 16 clubs were supportive of the new policy and that it had been approved unanimously by commissioners.
I wonder which club wasn't. It has to be the Dragons, right?

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
can people stop comparing the NRL to regular jobs?

the NRL players are more likely to be extorted out of this than a regular person (not saying that this is the case with de belin or walker). That is why I would like to wait for the court preceding. At this stage he is being punished for allegations, which i am not for
I reckon

Nothing ‘regular ‘ to get paid 650k and bonuses to play a sport you love for a living

Reactions: K E

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They absolutely can. Players have to sign a Code of Conduct when they join the NRL. Breach that and the NRl have every right to suspend a player.

Playing in the NRL is a right granted by the NRL/ARLC, it's not a given. More players need to understand that.

Neil Breen (reporter)
What happens if he is found NOT GUILTY? Then there was no breach of the Code of Conduct.

I don't think they can use that unless there is evidence or is proven in someway true.

If found not guilty and they stood him down they open themselves up for a lawsuit if the player chooses to go after them.

The fact that De Belin brought his solicitors to that meeting with the NRL could indicate that he will file against them if they stand him down.

Legend23

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read somewhere today that his next court date is April 17 meaning he will miss at least the first 6 rounds, that is if the matter is not adjourned again etc, that is one qtr of the season gone.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
While I think debellin is a fuck, and if he’s done what he’s been charged with, he should be hung upside down by his balls and picked apart by crows, this decision is fucked by the NRL.
This decision has the potential to prejudice a jury.
In the prosecutors opening statement, I guarantee, he’ll draw attention to this suspension.
This isn’t about sponsors, or someone’s right to make a living, it’s about someone’s life. This guy could go to prison for a crime he didn’t commit, because of this decision.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
While I think debellin is a fuck, and if he’s done what he’s been charged with, he should be hung upside down by his balls and picked apart by crows, this decision is fucked by the NRL.
This decision has the potential to prejudice a jury.
In the prosecutors opening statement, I guarantee, he’ll draw attention to this suspension.
This isn’t about sponsors, or someone’s right to make a living, it’s about someone’s life. This guy could go to prison for a crime he didn’t commit, because of this decision.
Agreed. Fuck the Dragons and their **** fans who were calling us rapists for months but this is a load of horse shit. He deserves his day in court, guilty or not.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What happens if he is found NOT GUILTY? Then there was no breach of the Code of Conduct.

I don't think they can use that unless there is evidence or is proven in someway true.

If found not guilty and they stood him down they open themselves up for a lawsuit if the player chooses to go after them.

The fact that De Belin brought his solicitors to that meeting with the NRL could indicate that he will file against them if they stand him down.
Excellent point.

I’m actually torn in this.

Innocent until proven guilty needs to apply.

And the game needs to uphold standards

It’s a no win situation for anyone.

I really don’t know the answer