Rhys Martin might start the season in reserve grade

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
What with all the wanking over smith? Played like 15mins now the next immortal lol
Funny how people forget shit over the off season, everyone on here would have had Martin in the team last year... also seems many have forgotten how Elliott had feet for hands in most games, missed a fair amount of tackles and gave away dumb penalties

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I could make room for both Smith and Martin on the bench.
Fualalo is a bit of a nothing player for me and for JMK it's 80 mins at hooker or not all.
Especially with Holland who was effective as a backup hooker and Smith or CHN who could cover in the centres if an injury occured.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can imagine Nabsolutely Fabulous breaking his computer once he reads about this.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Would be a pity to not play Martin. Hed be my RHS, RFM my left and Jacko lock. Besides his goalkicking hes a born leader Martin, has good hands, is a solid defender and is a better ballplaying forward than Jacko. If Pay persisted in having JMK then Elliot should be the one missing out having first crack not Martin.

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like most so called journalists, makes shit up, like the rest of us wouldn't have a f*****g clue. My uneducated guess is Martin is near the top of the list for the 17, his form last year right up there with Jacko and combined with his gun kicking I will be surprised if he's not one of the first selected. As far as his age and limited first grade, so what, he's making up for it.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Martin has to be in the 17
If he’s on the bench than he could push jacko to hooker and play in the second row
He could come on for the lock and play in the middle with footwork around tiring opp forwards
And at a pinch could fill in the centres of an inj arises

For the life of me I can’t see how Adam
Idiot is anywhere near fg or even chose. Ahead of Martin who covers him in every facet of footy.
Attack, defence, skill, pace, goal kicking, hands, creativity

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
As long as the best team is found out of the players I don't really care. If your a player and you want the bigtime then earn it. As long as it's picked on form and not favourites then it can only be good.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What with all the wanking over smith? Played like 15mins now the next immortal lol
Funny how people forget shit over the off season, everyone on here would have had Martin in the team last year... also seems many have forgotten how Elliott had feet for hands in most games, missed a fair amount of tackles and gave away dumb penalties
It's not so much about wanking off Chris Smith, it's more about making the most out of the available minutes. I'm a huge fan of all of our second rowers and can see what each one brings to the table that the other may not. Rhyse is an 80 minute forward who runs a fantastic line, busts his ass defensively and is the best goal kicker in the NRL. Unfortunately someone has to miss out. As mentioned in other posts I'd prefer we went with the 4 forward rotation on the bench and use Tolman as a hooker to cover for Lichaa than carry JMK so he can play his token 12 minutes at the end of a game.

Something like:
  1. Meany
  2. Crichton
  3. Hoppa
  4. Holland
  5. Smith
  6. Foz/ Cogger
  7. Lewis
  8. Tolman
  9. Lichaa/ JMK
  10. Napa
  11. Martin
  12. Jackson
  13. Elliot
  14. RFM
  15. Sue
  16. CHN
  17. Whoever the coaching staff loves the most out of: Fualalo/ Ogden/ To'Omaga/ Smith/ Tualau
A lineup along those lines let us play to our strengths while having enough in-game injury covers: Holland (Grew up playing Halfback/ Fullback)/ Jackson as a makeshift half, CHN into Centres if needed, Hoppa to FB, either Rhyse Martin #1 goal kicker with Holland as a back-up, and plenty of forwards to keep the engine room humming along.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Martin has to be in the 17
If he’s on the bench than he could push jacko to hooker and play in the second row
He could come on for the lock and play in the middle with footwork around tiring opp forwards
And at a pinch could fill in the centres of an inj arises

For the life of me I can’t see how Adam
Idiot is anywhere near fg or even chose. Ahead of Martin who covers him in every facet of footy.
Attack, defence, skill, pace, goal kicking, hands, creativity
That's pretty scathing. I actually thought Elliot had a great year last year! He got most of his mistakes out of his game too.
I also think that if Martin didn't kick goals we wouldn't be up in arms if he wasn't in the top 17.
You have all been listening to gotenks too much. Lol

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's not so much about wanking off Chris Smith, it's more about making the most out of the available minutes. I'm a huge fan of all of our second rowers and can see what each one brings to the table that the other may not. Rhyse is an 80 minute forward who runs a fantastic line, busts his ass defensively and is the best goal kicker in the NRL. Unfortunately someone has to miss out. As mentioned in other posts I'd prefer we went with the 4 forward rotation on the bench and use Tolman as a hooker to cover for Lichaa than carry JMK so he can play his token 12 minutes at the end of a game.

Something like:
  1. Meany
  2. Crichton
  3. Hoppa
  4. Holland
  5. Smith
  6. Foz/ Cogger
  7. Lewis
  8. Tolman
  9. Lichaa/ JMK
  10. Napa
  11. Martin
  12. Jackson
  13. Elliot
  14. RFM
  15. Sue
  16. CHN
  17. Whoever the coaching staff loves the most out of: Fualalo/ Ogden/ To'Omaga/ Smith/ Tualau
A lineup along those lines let us play to our strengths while having enough in-game injury covers: Holland (Grew up playing Halfback/ Fullback)/ Jackson as a makeshift half, CHN into Centres if needed, Hoppa to FB, either Rhyse Martin #1 goal kicker with Holland as a back-up, and plenty of forwards to keep the engine room humming along.
Welcome to the Kennel mate. I think we have a lot of versatility in our squad, but toucan to hooker is not an option!!
Like you said, if Martin misses out then so be it. The team will develop throughout the season once we have some runs on the boarding we can better see who is putting in the better performances and who makes up our best team.
Besides, this nobody journalist is just making assumptions.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yet Elliott and JMK will play instead. Awesome coaching choices...
In this case.. JJ has to go to lock and chn and rfm in the backrow. Fukn stupid coaching if the Bench don't look like this..

Sue
Fualalo
Elliot
Smith

Or Martin

I'm sure their is at least one bloke that can jump into hooker for 15min.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Yea, but Lichaa can’t. And he’s all we’ve got.
I don't particularly want Lichaa and JMK in the team together at all. I think carrying both may be a wasted bench spot and we have other options for a utility.

A hooker can play 80 mins by learning to conserve his energy.

Last edited:

NovaScotiaDog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Meh. Not fussed. He’ll get his chance
Yep I think your right. IF, he is indeed left out, then he needs to tear up the ISP and force his way back in. He is a good player, shows great promise, but he needs to play for an early contract extension. There is a lot of competition for these spots.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't particularly want Lichaa and JMK in the team together at all. I think carrying both may be a wasted bench spot and we have other options for a utility.

A hooker can play 80 mins by learning to conserve his energy.
Lichaa played 80 under des, and was terrible. Did nothing.
I don’t agree with this system, but pay is working with what he has.
We’re in the market for a hooker, which means they’ve identified it as a weakness. But for now we have to compromise.