Rhys Martin might start the season in reserve grade

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Maybe but Lewis and Smith were qualified too and they sat out.
Doubt Pay wanted to risk Lewis and he wasnt really needed in ISP. They had 2 halves who got them to the finals, and plenty backs. So it was the same with Smith. They needed Rhyse more. I dont see Martin playing ISP finals as an indicator he was being demoted. Im also skeptical of articles that start with so and so UNDERSTANDS this or that, like this article. I dont see why you demote him, he offers plenty imo. An ace goal kicker can we worth at least 2 or 3 wins a year you wouldnt have gotten with an average goalkicker for starters.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We’re just loaded in the second row, and if Dutchy is kicking goals at 85%+, Rhyse is a luxury.

We have to choose from:
Jacko (28), captain.
RFM (25), NZ rep.
CHN (23) NZ rep.
Elliot (24) Dogs Jr/ loyalist.
Ogden (22) locked up till 2021
Chris Smith (25) on contract until end of 2020
Rhyse Martin (25)

I love Rhyse, but the forward pack, in particular second row, is disgustingly crowded.

Someone unfortunately has to miss out, and the guy who’s on a 1 year deal and played nothing but reserve grade for his first 5ish years of his NRL career is going to have to fight tooth and nail for both a contract extension and playing time.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
We’re just loaded in the second row, and if Dutchy is kicking goals at 85%+, Rhyse is a luxury.

We have to choose from:
Jacko (28), captain.
RFM (25), NZ rep.
CHN (23) NZ rep.
Elliot (24) Dogs Jr/ loyalist.
Ogden (22) locked up till 2021
Chris Smith (25) on contract until end of 2020
Rhyse Martin (25)

I love Rhyse, but the forward pack, in particular second row, is disgustingly crowded.

Someone unfortunately has to miss out, and the guy who’s on a 1 year deal and played nothing but reserve grade for his first 5ish years of his NRL career is going to have to fight tooth and nail for both a contract extension and playing time.
Yeh but when has Holland ever kicked at 85%?

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I think it might be a mistake to omit Martin. He always steps up to the mark when given the chance and seems to have a special connection with Lewis.

We don't need both JMK and Lichaa in the team. Just have one or the other play 80 mins at hooker and go for a forward heavy bench including Martin.

I reckon Rhyse has some utility value anyway.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeh but when has Holland ever kicked at 85%?
He’s at like 79% for his career so I could see him improving/ getting up there.

I’d be surprised if none of our forwards cop an injury this season anyway (like RFM did last year) which removes the selection headache. Also i won’t be surprised if 5-6 rounds in the coaching staff see clear front runners for the spots and the roster stabilises out.

The only way Rhyse isn’t playing first grade is because the other blokes mentioned are completely dominating, which I’m honestly ok with.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The man scored 24 points in a single game for a team well known for their lack of scoring points the last couple of years, and we're going to omit him? Makes sense to me.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s at like 79% for his career so I could see him improving/ getting up there.

I’d be surprised if none of our forwards cop an injury this season anyway (like RFM did last year) which removes the selection headache. Also i won’t be surprised if 5-6 rounds in the coaching staff see clear front runners for the spots and the roster stabilises out.

The only way Rhyse isn’t playing first grade is because the other blokes mentioned are completely dominating, which I’m honestly ok with.
I swore I read this exact comment somewhere earlier, then I recognised your username.

Welcome to The Kennel

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would prefer to carry smith on the bench as he is pretty versatile, could also have Holland, Jackson switch around as they have before for injuries

steve1700

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if I'm missing something here but I thought he played good last year I'm pretty sure he did. my memory is not that great and fuck if I'm going to watch replays.

I'm going to wait till season starts before I say something.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it might be a mistake to omit Martin. He always steps up to the mark when given the chance and seems to have a special connection with Lewis.

We don't need both JMK and Lichaa in the team. Just have one or the other play 80 mins at hooker and go for a forward heavy bench including Martin.

I reckon Rhyse has some utility value anyway.
I'm with you on this one. Martin gets through a tonne of work on the field and is very good in support, hitting gaps and defence. He is too valuable to leave out of the top 17

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think he's too good for reserve grade and think Martin is more than a good goal kicker, he runs great lines and has an offload in him. But we do have a glut of second rowers obviously.

I too would like to see Smith in the squad but I'd like to see Martin in the squad somewhere if possible. But I understand there or a logjam so someone has to miss out.

Personally, I think Elliott is solid but not as good as Jackson, RFM, CHN or Martin. Jackson could play lock if need be.

This is why the NRL need trades like in the four major American sporting leagues. We could trade Martin to Cronulla for one of their young hookers or to another club for a hooker or centre.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
ludicrous leaving a 90% + goalkicker out of squad. You win tight games with kicking

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I think he's too good for reserve grade and think Martin is more than a good goal kicker, he runs great lines and has an offload in him. But we do have a glut of second rowers obviously.

I too would like to see Smith in the squad but I'd like to see Martin in the squad somewhere if possible. But I understand there or a logjam so someone has to miss out.

Personally, I think Elliott is solid but not as good as Jackson, RFM, CHN or Martin. Jackson could play lock if need be.

This is why the NRL need trades like in the four major American sporting leagues. We could trade Martin to Cronulla for one of their young hookers or to another club for a hooker or centre.
I could make room for both Smith and Martin on the bench.
Fualalo is a bit of a nothing player for me and for JMK it's 80 mins at hooker or not all.