Official Bulldogs vs Raiders NRL Trial - Sat 23rd Feb - Discussion Thread

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Doesn't matter how many excuses people make. We lost. It's a shit start to the upcoming season

Sick of making excuses
I am happy with the first half, I am positive we will win the premiership this year...Ahmm, I can help it, I am a dreamer

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Doesn't matter how many excuses people make. We lost. It's a shit start to the upcoming season

Sick of making excuses
Trials means nothing, look two cherry picked trials from last season: (1)Cowboys beat Storm. Storm end up in GF & cows way outside the 8 (actually storm lost both trials). (2) Dogs beat Panthers. This was our reserve team pretty much beating a full-strength panthers. Panthers go on to come 5th, dogs way outside the 8. There is no form guide you can take into the season from these games, they are called trials for a good reason.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Agree, at centre
His veritility to back up at fullback is the reason we traded Lafai for him, and he is solid there.

But he does not have the speed that is demanded of a modern day fullback.
Even in D, cleaning up kicks on the edge

We need Meany to work out...
Not to mention the thought of Montoya play centre is scary
After watching the trial, Hoppa needs to stay at fullback.
His strengths are his positional play at the back, very safe and he's very creative with the ball.
And for someone who is apparently very slow he still manages to punch out a lot of meters with his carries.
At times last year his meters gained were on par with Klemmer's.
By far he's the best fullback option at the club.
Meaney is still very young and has a lot of time to make the fullback spot his own, but not now, no way infront of Hoppa ATM.

Hoppa is wasted in the centres if played there. He's just not a centre.
Last year when he was playing in the centres people forget how bad his defence was.
As much as you need pace in attack, you need it just as much when defending in the centres.
Defending in the centres is very hard, you need pace to jam in(up and in style) and cut the ball off, or in a holding defensive structure you need quick lateral movement to slide.
The first half of the year last year when Mbye was playing fullback, Hoppa was playing in the centres, our right side defence was terrible, we had opposing centres and edge back rowers running around him.

One game when I really noticed his bad defence in the centres was the roosters game when we lost 6-0. Have a look at his attempt on Latrell Mitchell when Micthell scored the rooster's one and only try.
I know Mitchell is a handfull to contain, but just look at the attempted tackle.

The only other position other than fullback that I would consider playing Hoppa is maybe on the wing. Purely for his carries early in the tackle count because he does make meters and because he's safe under the highball regarding attacking crossfield kicks to our wing. I feel Crichton might get exposed in that area. Hoppa also has an uncanny ability with ball in hand to finish off a try close to the line.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know a lot have already written off Okunbor for his defence but I’d like to see how he goes without Olive inside him. He actually made a couple of nice reads and Olive is a absolute basket case in defence and no winger would look good outside him.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If Pay opts for Cogger instead of Lewis (a genuine outcome) then all hell will break lose

Foran and Lewis looked sharp together (including combining to lay on Holland second try)

Lewis is also a far better defensive halfback than Cogger

MoNkEy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way he'll do that. And if he does, I'll be moving to the "sack Pay camp" with Nab Fab...lol
He won't do it......he loves the kid.

Was probably just testing out his back-up options in 'match conditions' - Telegraph pundit jumping to conclusions.

Also, less time for Lewis on field means less chance of a pointless injury (like Des just copped with Turbo).

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know for fact lewis is ahead of cogger?

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Trials means nothing, look two cherry picked trials from last season: (1)Cowboys beat Storm. Storm end up in GF & cows way outside the 8 (actually storm lost both trials). (2) Dogs beat Panthers. This was our reserve team pretty much beating a full-strength panthers. Panthers go on to come 5th, dogs way outside the 8. There is no form guide you can take into the season from these games, they are called trials for a good reason.
Thanks for that I needed a slap now 'm pumped again. The loss just brought back those frustrating memories of last season when we would be up in the first half and just go to sleep on the field in the second half.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks for that I needed a slap now 'm pumped again. The loss just brought back those frustrating memories of last season when we would be up in the first half and just go to sleep on the field in the second half.
haha it's all good, i think we are all in the same boat, just want to see the lads winning again :grinning:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
NRL.com said:
Adam Elliott, Dylan Napa and Kerrod Holland picked up minor injuries but should be fine.
Why is this on the NRL web site and does not even rate a mention on the Bulldogs site.

Personally I have to say I'm not a fan of outsourcing the Bulldogs specific content to the NRL. Sure it looks pretty but it's totally devoid of any passion, it's so absolutely politically correct in the extreme it's often painful. It's almost totally devoid of the Bulldogs enthusiasm I expect from our web site. By all means stick with the corporate look, but can we please inject some real Bulldogs spirit into it.

Go Dogs

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is this on the NRL web site and does not even rate a mention on the Bulldogs site.

Personally I have to say I'm not a fan of outsourcing the Bulldogs specific content to the NRL. Sure it looks pretty but it's totally devoid of any passion, it's so absolutely politically correct in the extreme it's often painful. It's almost totally devoid of the Bulldogs enthusiasm I expect from our web site. By all means stick with the corporate look, but can we please inject some real Bulldogs spirit into it.

Go Dogs
I don’t think it’s up to the club regarding how the website looks and functions. Every club has the same website, just with different colours.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
haha it's all good, i think we are all in the same boat, just want to see the lads winning again :grinning:
Just hope our first game is going to be a good one. I realise every team is going to want to win their first game so I expect an epic effort.. Doesn't even matter if we lose just don't give up.. Nothing turns me off more

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
From the Telegraph this morning:
Tim Williams is a News Limited reporter from down south. Doesn't have a clue about NRL.

If he did his research he'd know that Lewis was almost a late sctaching from the game with a leg issue (right for R1), hence Cogger starting.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know a lot have already written off Okunbor for his defence but I’d like to see how he goes without Olive inside him. He actually made a couple of nice reads and Olive is a absolute basket case in defence and no winger would look good outside him.
Oh every mistake Okunbor made was caused by Olive and considering they both play on the left, playing on the right did them both no favours.

Im worried about CC tbh. Good ball runner but im extremely interested to see how he goes under the high ball.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh every mistake Okunbor made was caused by Olive and considering they both play on the left, playing on the right did them both no favours.

Im worried about CC tbh. Good ball runner but im extremely interested to see how he goes under the high ball.
Yep - I said the same during the game. Olive's defensive reads were TERRIBLE and it was making Okunbur look like a spastic.
If he had a reliable centre inside, then it would be easier to make a call.
Olive cannot get a start now after that abysmal showing which demonstrates he hasnt noticeably improved this aspect of his game.

I would be drilling him with high balls at training relentlessly to test this. In all conditions, lighting, etc.

Yes, The coaches career depends on it.
Word.

Merimbula Man

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Tim Williams is a News Limited reporter from down south. Doesn't have a clue about NRL.

If he did his research he'd know that Lewis was almost a late sctaching from the game with a leg issue (right for R1), hence Cogger starting.
Was at the trial on Saturday, stood right behind the bulldogs bench for the entire game and happy to share my impressions, which in doing so rebut some of the comments/negativity in the thread.

First thing I noticed was how vocal assistant coach Steve Antonelli was, screaming instructions at the players right from kick off and also pointing things out to the subs. It all centered around pushing up in support (no one out boys!), finding their front in tackles for quick play the balls and line speed in defense. Encouraging given how poor the sides been in these areas in recent times.

Pay sat in the stand the first half, then made his way to the sideline midway through the second as our right side defense was getting annihilated. He was calm, not overly concerned by the fade out and it appears he has a healthy relationship with players and staff, approachable and relatable but not too matey, and they respect him.

I’ll admit I had some reservations about his hasty appointment (36 hours after Dib assured members the head coach selection would be a thorough process) last year given some questionable team selections, use of interchange, match tactics/game plan (or lack thereof) and his post match press conferences but from what I saw up close last week I’m comfortable he’s the man for the job.

Although only a trial it re-affirmed to me how important Jackson and Foran are to our side. They’re elite footballers, classy and tough and any game in which they play the bulk of the 80 minutes I’d expect us to be competitive

I think we’ve recruited well;

Napa probably needed a change to improve and reinvigorate him and I thought his effort and involvement in the trial was excellent.
Jesse Sue provides some aggression and impact from the bench with leg speed and an offload that can create opportunities amongst tired middle defenders.
Meaney has plenty of potential, moves well, safe under the high ball, can kick goals, the knock on him seems to be his physicality, but he’s young and will get stronger, his tackling technique and willingness is there.
Cogger, can’t believe people on here are already at him, he’s a 21 year old key position player, who’s already played 12 first grade games (in an average side with injuries behind beaten forward packs). You’ve only got to watch him for 10 minutes to see he’s a proper footballer, in that he’s got excellent skills and game awareness. He might be small but he can tackle and his jobs not making meters. We’ve had too many robots and athletes in our squad for a few years now, we need more “footballers” and in the above 4 recruits that’s what we’ve got. I’m not suggesting Cogger should or will start in front of Lewis, but if and when he’s required he won’t let anyone down. He’s a much better prospect in the halves than Mbye, Frawley and JMK.
Chrichton did enough, sure there’s an error in him but his size, strength and speed (explosive not sustained) will be really handy to start off our sets. In today’s game wingers early set hit ups and dummy half darts are just as important as their finishing skills.
CHN is the only newbie that hasn’t got me excited, however I’m not prepared to convict him on a minor role in a meaningless all stars game and one trial. Hopefully he’ll find the effort and form when it matters.

I’d love to see Chris Smith on the bench in first grade. He’s under rated and still has upside. To be a good side we need impact from our interchange players, not just guys that plug a whole whilst the starting forwards have a breather. In the trial within minutes of taking the field he made a difference.

With regard to other selections, the main point of contention seemingly being whether Montoya plays centre and Hoppa fullback or Hoppa centre and Meaney fullback, I’m going to leave that up to the coach and match committee. That’s their job, they know best and it’s healthy to have competition for spots and options.

What I do know is whoever they pick, I’m right behind them, proud to be a bulldog and excited for season 2019 to start.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Was at the trial on Saturday, stood right behind the bulldogs bench for the entire game and happy to share my impressions, which in doing so rebut some of the comments/negativity in the thread.

First thing I noticed was how vocal assistant coach Steve Antonelli was, screaming instructions at the players right from kick off and also pointing things out to the subs. It all centered around pushing up in support (no one out boys!), finding their front in tackles for quick play the balls and line speed in defense. Encouraging given how poor the sides been in these areas in recent times.

Pay sat in the stand the first half, then made his way to the sideline midway through the second as our right side defense was getting annihilated. He was calm, not overly concerned by the fade out and it appears he has a healthy relationship with players and staff, approachable and relatable but not too matey, and they respect him.

I’ll admit I had some reservations about his hasty appointment (36 hours after Dib assured members the head coach selection would be a thorough process) last year given some questionable team selections, use of interchange, match tactics/game plan (or lack thereof) and his post match press conferences but from what I saw up close last week I’m comfortable he’s the man for the job.

Although only a trial it re-affirmed to me how important Jackson and Foran are to our side. They’re elite footballers, classy and tough and any game in which they play the bulk of the 80 minutes I’d expect us to be competitive

I think we’ve recruited well;

Napa probably needed a change to improve and reinvigorate him and I thought his effort and involvement in the trial was excellent.
Jesse Sue provides some aggression and impact from the bench with leg speed and an offload that can create opportunities amongst tired middle defenders.
Meaney has plenty of potential, moves well, safe under the high ball, can kick goals, the knock on him seems to be his physicality, but he’s young and will get stronger, his tackling technique and willingness is there.
Cogger, can’t believe people on here are already at him, he’s a 21 year old key position player, who’s already played 12 first grade games (in an average side with injuries behind beaten forward packs). You’ve only got to watch him for 10 minutes to see he’s a proper footballer, in that he’s got excellent skills and game awareness. He might be small but he can tackle and his jobs not making meters. We’ve had too many robots and athletes in our squad for a few years now, we need more “footballers” and in the above 4 recruits that’s what we’ve got. I’m not suggesting Cogger should or will start in front of Lewis, but if and when he’s required he won’t let anyone down. He’s a much better prospect in the halves than Mbye, Frawley and JMK.
Chrichton did enough, sure there’s an error in him but his size, strength and speed (explosive not sustained) will be really handy to start off our sets. In today’s game wingers early set hit ups and dummy half darts are just as important as their finishing skills.
CHN is the only newbie that hasn’t got me excited, however I’m not prepared to convict him on a minor role in a meaningless all stars game and one trial. Hopefully he’ll find the effort and form when it matters.

I’d love to see Chris Smith on the bench in first grade. He’s under rated and still has upside. To be a good side we need impact from our interchange players, not just guys that plug a whole whilst the starting forwards have a breather. In the trial within minutes of taking the field he made a difference.

With regard to other selections, the main point of contention seemingly being whether Montoya plays centre and Hoppa fullback or Hoppa centre and Meaney fullback, I’m going to leave that up to the coach and match committee. That’s their job, they know best and it’s healthy to have competition for spots and options.

What I do know is whoever they pick, I’m right behind them, proud to be a bulldog and excited for season 2019 to start.
Is Steve G not Assistant Coach?

Lewis better be starting