News Bulldogs coach set to earn a Pay day

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs coach set to earn a Pay day

Brent Read
The Australian
21 Feb 2019
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...y/news-story/9b357da00e752a4125f158e949252c3c

Canterbury have begun preliminary talks with coach Dean Pay over a contract extension as they look to remove the potential for destabilising talk around his future heading into the season.

Pay, off contract at the end of 2019, took over the Bulldogs with the club in the midst of a salary cap crisis and steered them clear of the wooden spoon, Canterbury eventually finishing in 12th place.

His year ended in controversy following the club’s Mad Monday celebrations but also with a sense that they had made progress under his tutelage given the difficulties that he endured in his first year as coach.

The club agreed to allow NSW and Australian prop Aaron Woods to leave just months into his deal to ease the burden on the salary cap and then cut loose his Blues and Kangaroos teammate David Klemmer at the end of the year.

The Bulldogs were also able to stabilise their administration and by re-signing Pay, they would be able to remove the potential for a significant distraction during the season.

………………

No quotes and an easy speculative article to write. But Read is usually reasonably informed, so who knows.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not saying he shouldn’t be extended but I’d rather he earns one this year. He has had a lot bigger say in players this year and had a year to get the team to buy into his methods. I doubt he would be in any danger of being poached so wait until at least round 12 to look at an extension.

Dogs2004

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Not saying he shouldn’t be extended but I’d rather he earns one this year. He has had a lot bigger say in players this year and had a year to get the team to buy into his methods. I doubt he would be in any danger of being poached so wait until at least round 12 to look at an extension.
Agree but let's remember 95

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
According to a post on here Andrew Hill mentioned it at the AGM un-officially, sounds like this was just an easy article based on that quote.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
his grace period is coming to an end and we really need to see some improvement before any contracts are offered in my personal opinion.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
his grace period is coming to an end and we really needs to see some improvement before any contracts are offered in my personal opinion.
Well the thing is Des stuffed us up for a few years so I think we need to suck it up until this is all cleared before passing judgement on Pay. I actually think he's doing the best job possible with the very limited funds we have.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The last 6 games last year weren't "some improvement"?

Go Dogs
as others have already mentioned, the year before we some had seen some sort of improvement as well when Hasler was in charge. We now know that we have players that can attack from all over the field, we also have had a large player turnover in the offseason. That being said we should hit the ground running and if we don't, then I would not be extending anyones contract.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
The last 6 games last year weren't "some improvement"?

Go Dogs
Well apart from the last game against the Sharks, we did well in the last 4 rounds. I thinking winning 50% of the last 6 is somewhat of an improvement - including 3 in a row.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well the thing is Des stuffed us up for a few years so I think we need to suck it up until this is all cleared before passing judgement on Pay. I actually think he's doing the best job possible with the very limited funds we have.
I'm not saying we need to be contenders, but we should see a vast improvement,, especially in attack

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think Pay has done a a solid job, but extending him now makes no sense. Its not like other clubs would be trying to poach him.

Just wait and see how the team performs for the first half of the season before making a decision on Pays contract..

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
They have to wait until round 8 at least.

Canis Maximus

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Agree - dont make the same mistake as the previous board did with Des.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I agree, there's still improvement to be made to our squad. I don't think he's got the squad that he wants yet. We need to purchase more players in 2020.
I don't think it will be fair to form a great team with some good buys for 2020 and then some other coach takes the credit for it while Pay had to deal with a couple of shit seasons.
But one thing is for sure, I expect us to dominate the first three rounds this year as they are very winnable games IMO. If Pay gets 6/10 wins in the first 10 rounds, then I'd be happy to give him a one year extension.
3 or 4 wins in the first 10 rounds won't be enough. Pay's got to show something in the first 10 rounds. I'm not saying we have to be world beaters, but we need to show something.

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A two year deal was always too short, given the turmoil he walked into in his first. And now we have the distraction of articles like this, which will continue to crop up until the matter is sorted. Two or three consecutive losses and the Terrorgraph will be heaping the pressure on.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pay is the right place at the right time - I believe he will be a long term coach following in the footsteps of Folksie and Anderson.

The talent coming through our 18’s and 20’s together with our very young NRL squad will see us re-emerge as a force.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
They aren't rushing to re-sign him thats for sure. They wont do the same mistake they did with Hasler. If Dogs struggle this year then he will be gone for sure years end...

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think Pay has done a a solid job, but extending him now makes no sense. Its not like other clubs would be trying to poach him.

Just wait and see how the team performs for the first half of the season before making a decision on Pays contract..
Probably dangling the carrot.