Official Bulldogs vs Raiders NRL Trial - Sat 23rd Feb - Discussion Thread

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
We seem to picking up a few of the Roosters U20 from their side that won the comp a couple years ago.

Jesse and Ben Marschke, Zac Cardassilaris, Jarred Anderson and i think a couple others are floating around Cabra aswell.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Looking at the 2 sets of forwards we really should steam roll 'em, power right over the top, bust them up the middle. If we don't it's going to be a long season.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looking at the 2 sets of forwards we really should steam roll 'em, power right over the top, bust them up the middle. If we don't it's going to be a long season.

Go Dogs
I wouldn’t use this as a gauge on how we will perform during the year. It’s a chance to get the cobwebs out and try a few combos to see what gels. The result means absolutely nothing.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I wouldn’t use this as a gauge on how we will perform during the year. It’s a chance to get the cobwebs out and try a few combos to see what gels. The result means absolutely nothing.
It wasn't a comment on who is going to win the game, just that on a man to man basis with our forwards we should steam roll them with power play. But to me it definitely is a gauge on how we will perform, there are only 10 (6 + 4) forward spots available and the competition for them is decidedly hot, everyone mentions it, in every interview. This game, yes it's only a trial, but it is the first step in securing one of those 10 spots. First impressions are important.

Go Dogs

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd like to see Pay name his intended round 1 team to start and give them a good 20-30 minute hit out, get through the game injury free and with a good idea on what needs work over the next few weeks til kickoff.

That'll give those fringe players a chance to push for spots for 50 minutes against a 1st grade squad.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It wasn't a comment on who is going to win the game, just that on a man to man basis with our forwards we should steam roll them with power play. But to me it definitely is a gauge on how we will perform, there are only 10 (6 + 4) forward spots available and the competition for them is decidedly hot, everyone mentions it, in every interview. This game, yes it's only a trial, but it is the first step in securing one of those 10 spots. First impressions are important.

Go Dogs
I never take anything the players say in interviews too much to heart. The media training turns them into robots and they just tow the line on what they think they should be saying.

Given that there is still close to a month before Round 1 and no other trial I think they will use it to get plenty of minutes into the legs and that is about it.

There is way too many variables in trails to take anything that goes on in them seriously.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I never take anything the players say in interviews too much to heart. The media training turns them into robots and they just tow the line on what they think they should be saying.
Given that there is still close to a month before Round 1 and no other trial I think they will use it to get plenty of minutes into the legs and that is about it.
There is way too many variables in trails to take anything that goes on in them seriously.
My point was that the game itself (the result) doesn't matter so much, what truly matters is how each player performs during their time on the field. That will go a long way to determining who gets to play in round 1 and as a result in subsequent rounds. In my view ~half of the 10 forward sports are not locked in. Almost certainly Jackson, Napa, Toleman, Elliot and Martin will be somewhere in the 10. But the rest to me looks like an opportunity that they will all want to grab, with both hands. They have been showing it in training, now its time to show it in a game, any game.

Personally I don't think the competition for spots is fake talk, spin for the media, they all seem pretty genuine and passionate about it. Even one on one, face to face, it's in their eyes, they are hungry.

Go Dogs

Big M

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Reaction score
My point was that the game itself (the result) doesn't matter so much, what truly matters is how each player performs during their time on the field. That will go a long way to determining who gets to play in round 1 and as a result in subsequent rounds. In my view ~half of the 10 forward sports are not locked in. Almost certainly Jackson, Napa, Toleman, Elliot and Martin will be somewhere in the 10. But the rest to me looks like an opportunity that they will all want to grab, with both hands. They have been showing it in training, now its time to show it in a game, any game.

Personally I don't think the competition for spots is fake talk, spin for the media, they all seem pretty genuine and passionate about it. Even one on one, face to face, it's in their eyes, they are hungry.

Go Dogs
Gee thanx for the insight zzzzzzzz

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What??!! Did you even watch the game? One of the tries he scored, there was like 5 players that had tackled him and then just let go. This was as much their lack of commitment as it was Morris' brute strength or unbelievable skill.
There are so many variables in a game of any sport, chance is one of them. This is why statistics never really show the whole story. It is in no way a reflection of our club or coaching. That's just absurd.
Everyone needs to relax, they played a team from a second tier league. Equivalent to roosters playing the bulldogs ISP winning team.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Interesting that Pay mentions Elliot when talking of the front row.
needs to bulk up a bit, because when the interchange is reduced to 6 i think he could thrive there

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
needs to bulk up a bit, because when the interchange is reduced to 6 i think he could thrive there
He mentioned Elliot as a senior player more so than mentioning him as a middle forward. He did however mention C Smith as being impressive in Allstars. I though C Smith wasn’t too involved, am I wrong to think this? Did I miss something?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He mentioned Elliot as a senior player more so than mentioning him as a middle forward. He did however mention C Smith as being impressive in Allstars. I though C Smith wasn’t too involved, am I wrong to think this? Did I miss something?
i didnt see to much of smith in that game either tbh, i think thats because i was constantly scanning for CHN who pretty much wasnt sighted lol. Smith seems very willing though.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
"Fullback position Nick will spend a good amount of time there as will Hoppa. Both have pushed one another really well. The beauty is that Hoppa can play any position, so plenty of competition challenge there."

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pay with not any mention of renouf t ill be pissed if he doesnt get a good crack this year and we lose him he will be a gun

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's the Bermuda triangle. Raiders fans love him. It should not surprise anyone though. They celebrate mediocrity down here. It's the flow on effect of the public service state of mind.
Its surprising considering all the early success they had with one of the best sides ever to play in rugby league.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I assuming hearing dean talk we will be round 1
Meaney
Chrighton
Holland
Hopoate
Smith
Foran
Lewis
Tolman