Recruitment Suggestions - Consolidated Thread

Should the bulldogs make Reynolds priority number one target for 2022?

• Total voters

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Wasn't Bellamy going to turn him into the worlds best prop!
I'm probably in the minority but I don't think that much of Bellamy as coach. He has this marvellous record at NRL level but it's all based around having had Smith, Slater and Cronk for the last decade. Plus what still looks like a next to unlimited salary cap and, being located in a one team town in Melbourne, plus the big advantage of player anonymity. He's had a virtual plethora of some of the best players of their era in Inglis, Chambers, Bromwich, Hoffman, Orford, Kearney, Folau etc. Often overlooked is that he coached losing NSW SOR sides in 2007, 2008 and 2009, arguably because he had the guys that make him look good at club level playing against him. More recently he made the big mistake of playing Glasby with a rib cartilage injury in the Grand Final last year. Let's see how he goes in 2019, with 2 missing and what happens when there are none left? That will be a real indicator of his standing.

Go Dogs

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Why would we (or any club) want to help Storm with their cap problems? Rugby League isn't a bloody charity.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What’s the bet the knights pick up the scraps . To be honest he could be a good pick up , just black list him from kebab shops and fAst food

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Na. Could lose weight and pull his head in at the storm but not for the dogs......
Parra would have him

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm probably in the minority but I don't think that much of Bellamy as coach. He has this marvellous record at NRL level but it's all based around having had Smith, Slater and Cronk for the last decade. Plus what still looks like a next to unlimited salary cap and, being located in a one team town in Melbourne, plus the big advantage of player anonymity. He's had a virtual plethora of some of the best players of their era in Inglis, Chambers, Bromwich, Hoffman, Orford, Kearney, Folau etc. Often overlooked is that he coached losing NSW SOR sides in 2007, 2008 and 2009, arguably because he had the guys that make him look good at club level playing against him. More recently he made the big mistake of playing Glasby with a rib cartilage injury in the Grand Final last year. Let's see how he goes in 2019, with 2 missing and what happens when there are none left? That will be a real indicator of his standing.

Go Dogs
The coach is only as good as his cattle. That's why I stuck up for Pay so much last year. The hatred he was getting from some on the Kennel was crazy.
Some people couldn't see the turmoil the club was in. It was no fault of Pay that Dib and Des' Million dollar man in Foran was a busted player taking a big chunk out of our cap.
You got to feel for Pay, he took on an awful job at the time. Boardroom changing of the guard, a salary cap nightmare, releasing players mid contract, some of the worst calls on the field by refs, rookie coach year...it was all just stacked against him.

Let's see what happens this year, but even then I don't think we've formed the team we want. It's still a re-building phase IMO. A major concern for us is obviously our outside backs. I think we're capable of scoring tries but their defence is going to worry me on the edges. Guys like Holland and Smith won't have any trouble finding the line, but our defence will be the key to winning and losing, especially on our edges.
Last year you could see our defensive efforts out wide were shocking. Opposing teams will be running plays on the edges and lining up Foran, he'll be finished by mid season. Meaney, Hoppa, Holland, Montoya all have terrible defense. The only player on the edges with good defence is Lewis. Big question marks on the rest.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why are they letting him go ?? Isn’t he the best prop in the game now he’s under Bellamy ?? Like we were all told he would become ?

Reactions: K E

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Why are they letting him go ?? Isn’t he the best prop in the game now he’s under Bellamy ?? Like we were all told he would become ?
Dally M Super Kadooper Prop of the Year.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's a no from me.

Watching how hard he mailed it in before he left for the storm in 2017 was painful to watch. With the plethora of young talented forwards in the current squad we simply don't have the room for him - even if he was at the peak of his powers (2012-2016 stretch) I'd still have a hard time justifying it.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Go Dogs
If you look at all the so called “great” coaches they usually have had very good teams when they won premierships. Bennett had a QLD state of origin team and Bellamy had pretty much the same! It would be very interesting to see what Bellamy would do with our team this year .

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Kasiano needs to be fat to play his best footy but the game has moved past that now.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
His manager said clubs were lining up to sign him when he wanted to leave the dogs, maybe he can go to St George, the Warriors or Parra who all apparently wanted to sign him.

And his manager said he took a pay cut he loved Melbourne so much, so good luck with that Sam.

Canis Maximus

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
No way - not even on minimum wage.

If the coach is as good as his cattle - they shouldn't of bought a heffer. Obviously the grass was not greener over the mexican border.
Put him on a live export ship and let him join his mate in Newcastle.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
NO FUCKING WAY (hell no) never would I want to see him back at this great club!!! And in the doggs jersey.

EVER!!! lol

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The coach is only as good as his cattle. That's why I stuck up for Pay so much last year. The hatred he was getting from some on the Kennel was crazy.
Some people couldn't see the turmoil the club was in. It was no fault of Pay that Dib and Des' Million dollar man in Foran was a busted player taking a big chunk out of our cap.
You got to feel for Pay, he took on an awful job at the time. Boardroom changing of the guard, a salary cap nightmare, releasing players mid contract, some of the worst calls on the field by refs, rookie coach year...it was all just stacked against him.

Let's see what happens this year, but even then I don't think we've formed the team we want. It's still a re-building phase IMO. A major concern for us is obviously our outside backs. I think we're capable of scoring tries but their defence is going to worry me on the edges. Guys like Holland and Smith won't have any trouble finding the line, but our defence will be the key to winning and losing, especially on our edges.
Last year you could see our defensive efforts out wide were shocking. Opposing teams will be running plays on the edges and lining up Foran, he'll be finished by mid season. Meaney, Hoppa, Holland, Montoya all have terrible defense. The only player on the edges with good defence is Lewis. Big question marks on the rest.
Holding defensive structure is one of the hardest things to coach into a team. An individual's defence, sure it's not such a task, but to get the team to function as unit takes time and a lot of practise. Last year there was lot of rushing out of the line, not sliding in defence and just overall poor field spacing. That always exposes the outside backs and makes them look like they are the problem, when it's the people inside them not adhering to the structure that is actually causing it. No excuses this year, they had enough exposure at the end of last season (where the defence was pretty good) plus a full preseason of practise to get their structures in place. I fully expect to see a big improvement this year.

Go Dogs