News Broncos next forward superstar Pat Carrigan rejects huge bid from the Canterbury Bulldogs

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I reckon we may have gone for him before Napa, with Pay always looking for youth with potential, who are also cheaper than Napa. But now we have Napa we probably aren't looking for forwards now.
I can see the sense in that. But I worry that we are going for all these unknown players, we end up developing them (if they do work out) then they go elsewhere at the next contract because of cap issues.

Things don't work them way they did in the 90's, I've got no issues with what the board are doing but I'm concerned some of them haven't moved with the times. The day of the loyal player who will take unders to keep a team together is long gone. Some players will do it but not many.

They need to sign some decent established players when the opportunity is there and the cap is sorted.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can see the sense in that. But I worry that we are going for all these unknown players, we end up developing them (if they do work out) then they go elsewhere at the next contract because of cap issues.

Things don't work them way they did in the 90's, I've got no issues with what the board are doing but I'm concerned some of them haven't moved with the times. The day of the loyal player who will take unders to keep a team together is long gone. Some players will do it but not many.

They need to sign some decent established players when the opportunity is there and the cap is sorted.
I don't think that will be a issue because we have been forced to fill in the gaps due to there being no developed players ready to go because the juniors have been neglected for so long.

The really exciting players are in Flegg and they are probably 2-3 years away from NRL football so we need players until they are ready.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The really exciting players are in Flegg and they are probably 2-3 years away from NRL football so we need players until they are ready.
There's a few in SG Ball coming through that show some promise as well.

Just giving you a compliment champ
Why thank you :grinning: ... although as I said, in all honesty it would have been closed as nothing was heard of the rumour for several months :grinning:

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Guys lets not get too depressed. It's good we're out there chasing but this kid may be the real deal or he may not. Things change when they gets to mens footy and make their NRL debut.A shoulder injury, a knee etc and all of a sudden they're not the next big thing. Lets concentrate on a hooker and centre

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I find it hugely unlikely that a young kid in this day and age would knock back a Million bucks over 3 years before they've even played a single FG game. Nothing to see here hey NRL?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I find it hugely unlikely that a young kid in this day and age would knock back a Million bucks over 3 years before they've even played a single FG game. Nothing to see here hey NRL?
Dogs - $1 million over 3 years.
Broncos - $8 million over 10 years. ;)

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
By the time they are captaining the state u20s it’s too late. Need to be identifying kids at 15 and 16.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A million dollars on an unproven rookie when we already have depth in forwards?

WTF

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We didn't sign him. That's all we needed to read. He's probably one of many prospective players that we approached. The only ones I care about are those who joined the club.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corey Oates and this guy now not interested in our offers. Think our time chasing broncos is done for now.
IMO another successful season or two from our lower grades will make us an attraction to most young talent looking for an opportunity. For now I'm happy to have the new recruits show faith in our club and the direction it's going.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Corey Oates and this guy now not interested in our offers. Think our time chasing broncos is done for now.
IMO another successful season or two from our lower grades will make us an attraction to most young talent looking for an opportunity. For now I'm happy to have the new recruits show faith in our club and the direction it's going.
It’s nice to have the advantage of being the only team in a major city. Crap like this will continue to happen until there is a second team in Brisbane

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
I’m not saying Brisbane aren’t not cheating the cap cause I believe they without a doubt do. But cause someone rejects a deal doesn’t mean they are gonna get more $$ they might just be what some old fossils involved in the game call LOYAL

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Shaun Johnson might be gone from sharks due to cap so do we chuck him a mil one season ?

Looking at you Marley

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Good to see we are in for this profile of player.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Whatever we offer Brisbane could triple but it's good to see the club is trying to poach the best youngsters from other clubs.

It would help if the Roosters, Broncos and Storm ever lost any of their juniors and didn't sign them all to multi million dollar deals when they've played little to no first grade while also keeping all of their other players.

Anyway, soon enough the persistence will pay off... But we wont be able to sign anyone from those clubs as they don't have a salary cap..

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Like when barba was allegedly told if he would break his contract with us theyd double what hes on and thats when he got homesick