News Dogs Top 8?

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
First article I have read rating us to make the 8!

Canterbury and their fans endured a lot of heartache and frustration last season on and off the field, and many experts have suggested it will continue on the field this coming season.

Whilst you may be thinking the same thing there are many reasons to suggest it could be a really good year for the Blue and Whites.

The departure of David Klemmer won’t be easy although it has been sweetened somewhat with the addition of Dylan Napa. He will bring a wealth of experience and confidence that will benefit the Bulldogs, as long as he stays disciplined and focused after what’s come out off the field, I can see this as a win for the Bulldogs.

Whilst the Morris twins have been great for the club and will be hard to replace, the timing couldn’t be better to blood some young guns. This will no doubt be a massive challenge for Dean Pay, although with Will Hopoate there to help nurture the up and coming backs this will help soften the blow and having players already capped with NRL experience this will hold the backs in good stead.

Corey Harawira-Naera’s arrival at Belmore will be a healthy addition to an already talented list of backrowers, Sauaso Sue, Christian Crighton, Nick Meaney and Jack Cogger also join the Canterbury squad list for 2019. This gives Dean Pay a good mix of youth and experience.

Much has been said about Kieran Foran and whether he can stay fit and recapture career-best form. I personally think he will, so far the news has been positive about his rehab and training, and with a list that includes young halves such as Lachlan Lewis, Jeremy Marshall-King, Jack Cogger and Fa’amanu Brown, Foran will have to fire if he wants to play footy in 2019.

Canterbury will have some much-needed impact off the bench this will no doubt trouble sides with forwards and back rowers that are capable of throwing the ball around combined with late footwork. This will expose tired and weak defences.

On paper the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have a side capable of making the finals, they tested top 8 sides late last year without key players, and in the modern era, an off season can change a lot. In 2013 the Roosters won the premiership after previously finishing 2012 in 13th position and last season Souths made the top 4 after finishing 2017 in 12th place.

Possible Round 1 Team
  1. Nick Meaney
  2. Christian Crighton
  3. Will Hopoate
  4. Kerrod Holland
  5. Reimis Smith
  6. Keiran Foran
  7. Lachlan Lewis
  8. Aiden Tolman
  9. Michael Lichaa
  10. Dylan Napa
  11. Josh Jackson
  12. Rhyse Martin
  13. Adam Elliott
    INTERCHANGE
  14. Jeremy Marshall-King
  15. Sauaso Sue
  16. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
  17. Corey Harawira-Naera
Expect Morgan Harper to replace Holland if he doesn’t perform, and much the same with Fa’amanu Brown and Lichaa. And Jack Coggercould also get a run around in place for Jeremy Marshall-King or to cover injuries.

I expect this Bulldogs side to play off the cuff style footy in 2019 and finish anywhere between 5th and 8th position and surprise a lot of pundits.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zerotackle.com/why-the-bulldogs-can-make-the-top-8-40424/amp/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=Zero%20Tackle

Agree think we can, but not with Lichaa as our 9. My team would be a little different to:
  1. Nick Meaney
  2. Christian Crighton or Holland
  3. Will Hopoate
  4. Kerrod Holland or Harper
  5. Reimis Smith
  6. Keiran Foran
  7. Lachlan Lewis or Coggar
  8. Aiden Tolman
  9. Jeremy Marshall-King
  10. Dylan Napa
  11. Raymond Faitala-Mariner
  12. Rhyse Martin
  13. Josh Jackson
  14. Corey Harawira-Naera
  15. Sauaso Sue
  16. Tuamoga or Faualo
  17. Adam Elliott, Ogden or Smith

Last edited by a moderator:

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just read we are favourites for the spoon at $4. I hope we can prove them wrong

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think anyone can post articles on that website.

Pretty sure writer would be a bulldogs fan not a professional journo.

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I get excited reading the team line up until I get to the number 9......
Such a different squad to last few years. I am excited and can't wait until round 1

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm worried that the only optimistic articles on us are coming from The Roar and Zero Tackle lol.

Realistically, top 8 is a huge ask for this squad. Imo we'll go very close, possibly sneak in. If we can crack it, give Pay a 2/3 year extension.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I think anyone can post articles on that website.

Pretty sure writer would be a bulldogs fan not a professional journo.
I still think that Bulldogs fan has more credibility than some journalists...

SUCH AS PHIL ROTHFIELD THE PETROL-SNIFFING POOF!!!

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I get excited reading the team line up until I get to the number 9......
Such a different squad to last few years. I am excited and can't wait until round 1
Pay is openly stating he wants to play heads up footy when the chances present.
If that's the case, he wants quick early ball to his ball players and backs. This categorically will not happen with Lichaa at 9.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if the team plays to their potential we will definitely be in the top 8 and be the major surprise packet this season and there are going to be a lot of "experts" in the media (and on this site) that will be eating crow...

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I wish I had their optimism.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think reality will settle in when the season starts.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
There is too many other stronger teams then ours unfortunately and we have way too many question marks. I would love to be proven wrong but I cant see us making the 8.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
That's a shit team tbh. No Ogden, benching RFM and CHN, Hoppa in the centres not Fullback. Author loses all credibility

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
RFM and CHN have to start they are our class backrowers. Jackson at lock and bring on Elliot for some aggression and impact

Reactions: GDR

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The team of experts at the DT have written off the Dogs so we are under the radar.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lichaa is off Contract this year , if all he does is tackle again then we better not sign him . He is a dud, that extra million will come in handy for another hooker, it’s
Proven a hooker is essential for a good season, still spewing we lost Cook :-/

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lichaa is off Contract this year , if all he does is tackle again then we better not sign him . He is a dud, that extra million will come in handy for another hooker, it’s
Proven a hooker is essential for a good season, still spewing we lost Cook :-/
Lichaa is another year wiser and hard to run through, him and Tolman are a block in the middle.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
There are 16 teams, any of them can make the finals.

I think we will suprise some people and finally play 80 minutes every game, BUT alot of a teams success in the season is also based on how other teams go (and injuries).

I think anyone can post articles on that website. Pretty sure writer would be a bulldogs fan not a professional journo.
It's like Roar. Given the crap I read there the other day, there's no way they are professional journos.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Been trying to work out how/why the "experts" think that we are going to be worse than the debacle that was last season and I ended up with;

Lewis to suffer from 2nd year syndrome.
Foran to get injured and not play for most of the season.
Mozzies replacements to be flops.
Klemmer to be irreplaceable because the other forwards are all duds.
Jackson to get picked for the Blues and not play for us in between.
Napa to be suspended for the 1st half of the season and then use his head (or not) and get suspended for the 2nd half.
Every other new recruit to fail, Meanie to flop at fullback and Hopoate to bomb it at centre.
The salary cap auditor to find that we are $3m over the cap and we lose all of our points.
Pay to be sacked by the Board after a couple of losses.
The Board to be sacked by the members.

IMHO for us to finish last it would require almost all of the above to happen. What the "experts" have ignored is where we will finish if none of the above happens. Or even if only a couple occur. We all know that during a season shit happens, but its going to take a rather large pile óf it to get anywhere near last year.

Go Dogs