Mass flooding in Townsville and FNQ

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Hey @flamebouyant , are you washing away up there?

I see rainfalls of more than a meter in the past week. The Daintree has reached an all time high, and so there must be crocs getting places they normally wouldnt.

How are other FNQ kennellers faring?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hey @flamebouyant , are you washing away up there?

I see rainfalls of more than a meter in the past week. The Daintree has reached an all time high, and so there must be crocs getting places they normally wouldnt.

How are other FNQ kennellers faring?
Thanks for caring mate. Haha Yeah I'm fine where I am in Kuranda. It's in the hills above Cairns so we are sweet. But it feels like it has been raining for weeks!! It's relentless.
Because of all the rain everything is getting super mouldy. That's our biggest issue, we're constantly having to clean the shit.
Yougetting any of this rain down your way?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks for caring mate. Haha Yeah I'm fine where I am in Kuranda. It's in the hills above Cairns so we are sweet. But it feels like it has been raining for weeks!! It's relentless.
Because of all the rain everything is getting super mouldy. That's our biggest issue, we're constantly having to clean the shit.
Yougetting any of this rain down your way?
Karunda is nice - do they still have that old train that goes up from Cairns.

Good to hear you're well.

Here in Brisbane, my lawn is normally going gangbusters this time of year, and i'm sick of mowing it every weekend, but this year, its dead AF.

We are going to have to get used to these weather events - look at the freezing shit going on in the US Mid-West right now.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Karunda is nice - do they still have that old train that goes up from Cairns.

Good to hear you're well.

Here in Brisbane, my lawn is normally going gangbusters this time of year, and i'm sick of mowing it every weekend, but this year, its dead AF.

We are going to have to get used to these weather events - look at the freezing shit going on in the US Mid-West right now.
They sure do. They will never let that train die. Lol
Kuranda is a beautiful spot. Not so enjoyable with all this rain, but it's very lush and green at least.
One of my sisters is in brissie and she says the same. Global weather patterns are totally out of whack!! But with people like trump in power, his head thoroughly stuck in the sand, we will struggle to make any significant change. I digress.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Kuranda is a beautiful spot. Not so enjoyable with all this rain, but it's very lush and green at least.
One of my sisters is in brissie and she says the same. Global weather patterns are totally out of whack!! But with people like trump in power, his head thoroughly stuck in the sand, we will struggle to make any significant change. I digress.

Donald! Trump ! Motherfuckers!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Was up in Port Douglas / Palm Cove / Mossman / Daintree (a few years back). Rented a car and drove over a few days all the way from Brisbane to PD (going as far north as Cow Bay/Thorrnton Beach).

Absolutely loved it up there.. If you get flooded in Kuranda, then pretty much half of FNQ is underwater!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Was up in Port Douglas / Palm Cove / Mossman / Daintree (a few years back). Rented a car and drove over a few days all the way from Brisbane to PD (going as far north as Cow Bay/Thorrnton Beach).

Absolutely loved it up there.. If you get flooded in Kuranda, then pretty much half of FNQ is underwater!
Yeah I love it too. It is a stunning part other world. The drive from Cairns to Port Douglas has to be one of the best in Australia.
Thankfully we have no issues with floods in Kuranda. Well I guess it could be for some of the small creeks, but they are more like overflows, so they go down pretty quickly.
At the bottom of the ranges there is a big shopping centre and industrial area before the land levels out a bit and is susceptible to flooding, so even if there is flooding there we have access to to food etc.
Anyway, we a tally had some sun this morning. Loving it!!!

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I saw that the Ross River dam is at 226% capacity.

Now I thought I was ok at maths, but I cant figure this one out...

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
Plenty of people have been out to suss it out too.

I’ve had no power since yesterday arvo fml

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah I love it too. It is a stunning part other world. The drive from Cairns to Port Douglas has to be one of the best in Australia.
Thankfully we have no issues with floods in Kuranda. Well I guess it could be for some of the small creeks, but they are more like overflows, so they go down pretty quickly.
At the bottom of the ranges there is a big shopping centre and industrial area before the land levels out a bit and is susceptible to flooding, so even if there is flooding there we have access to to food etc.
Anyway, we a tally had some sun this morning. Loving it!!!
I was amazed how much the landscape changes heading up the Bruce all the way. One minute it's farmland, next it's stunning coastline, next it's bushland.

Also how things change after you drive about 2 minutes over the Daintree River.. BOOM total rainforest transformation.

We drove Brisbane (O/N) > Twin Waters (2 nights) > Gladstone (O/N) > Mackay (O/N) > Townsville (O/N) > Port Douglas (10 Nights) > Palm Cove (3 nights) > Townsville (O/N) > Mackay (O/N) > Airlie Beach and Hamilton Island (9 nights 2+7) > Gladstone > Brisbane.

Just over a month.

I saw that the Ross River dam is at 226% capacity.

Now I thought I was ok at maths, but I cant figure this one out...
Well how can it be over capacity... once it's full its full.

That's like saying "I'm going to fill this cup to the top, and then 126% more".

Smartseal

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Most dams are 100% at the spillway, so if water is pouring 2m over the spillway then the dam is over capacity.
They are purposely built that way for flood mitigation

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was amazed how much the landscape changes heading up the Bruce all the way. One minute it's farmland, next it's stunning coastline, next it's bushland.

Also how things change after you drive about 2 minutes over the Daintree River.. BOOM total rainforest transformation.

We drove Brisbane (O/N) > Twin Waters (2 nights) > Gladstone (O/N) > Mackay (O/N) > Townsville (O/N) > Port Douglas (10 Nights) > Palm Cove (3 nights) > Townsville (O/N) > Mackay (O/N) > Airlie Beach and Hamilton Island (9 nights 2+7) > Gladstone > Brisbane.

Just over a month.

That's theory to do it Mclaren

Just over a month.

Thatcher way to do it. Too many people rush it and miss loads of good stuff!!

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
Just took myself and the old lady and whatever chargers we could find to the nearest Zarraffas to charge all our phones and devices

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hope every one is well and safe.

My experience with flooding in Queensland was confined to an instance many many years ago ( probs over 50 ) when family was on the way to visit relatives in Mackay. Got stuck in Rockhampton when the Fitzroy river broke its banks and cut the town off. Sightings of crocodiles galore and we were there for over two days. Lucky to get accommodation too.